Barons Announce 9th Annual Rickwood Classic

Chisoxfn

Press Release was Provided by the Birmingham Barons (www.barons.com) and was put up on FutureSox.

BIRMINGHAM, AL – Baseball has a very rich history in Birmingham. For over a hundred years, America’s pastime has been an integral part of peoples lives in the Magic City. The industrial era of the early to mid 1900’s was a time that exemplified this love for the game. On Thursday, June 17th at 12:30 PM the Barons will revisit this era and the Industrial Baseball Leagues as they take on the Huntsville Stars at historic Rickwood Field for the 9th Annual Rickwood Classic presented by State Farm Insurance.

The Barons and Stars will don the uniforms of Industrial League teams that played in the 1930’s. Birmingham will wear the uniforms of Sloss Industries and Huntsville will represent U.S. Steel. This match up will turn back the clock to a classic industrial league battle between two of Birmingham’s oldest and most historically rich companies.

The Industrial Leagues in Birmingham consisted of teams sponsored by local businesses and the rosters were made up of the workers from those companies. Games between industry rivals constituted major social events, with music and food, and helped foster pride and loyalty to the employer. The ballplayers themselves were typically seen as heroes to their co-workers and community and being a baseball player for your company was considered a most prestigious position.

The Industrial Leagues were not like the typical company softball leagues of today. The competition was real and the players were good. Often times, companies would hire an employee based on his baseball skills rather than his job skills to bolster their lineup. Many players made the transition from the Industrial Leagues to professional baseball. Numerous standouts for the Birmingham Black Barons, like Piper Davis, Mule Suttles, Artie Wilson and others, played industrial ball in Birmingham. Shoeless Joe Jackson began his career playing company ball in South Carolina before moving on to the big leagues.

Fans are encouraged to come to the game and “dress the part”, as music and entertainment from the 1930’s will be provided. Before the game, the first 1,500 fans through the gates will receive a one-of-a-kind Rickwood Field replica stadium courtesy of State Farm Insurance. The jerseys from both teams will be auctioned off during the game with part of the proceeds going to the upkeep of Rickwood Field. Memorabilia from the Industrial Leagues will also be displayed and players from the era will be recognized. Tickets for the ninth annual Rickwood Classic presented by State Farm Insurance are now on sale at the Hoover Met box office. Tickets are $8.00 general admission and $6.00 for groups of 20 or more. For ticket information contact the Barons Front Office at (205) 988-3200 or www.barons.com. This year, the Rickwood Classic is presented by State Farm Insurance. The team uniforms are sponsored by Sloss Industries Corporation and U.S. Steel.

For more information please contact Mike Hobson, Director of Media & Community Relations, at (205) 988-3200 or through e-mail at [email protected].

I'm really mad Rex...for a second I thought that was right about when I'm going to be in Birmingham, but then I realized it was in June and I'll be stuck in Summer School.

I figure I'll be out their sometime in mid July. I've heard Rickwood is awesome. One day I'm going to see that park though. I got some pics of it in my baseball stadium book.

I thought it was cool how Shoeless Joe moved up from a company team.

I'm really mad Rex...for a second I thought that was right about when I'm going to be in Birmingham, but then I realized it was in June and I'll be stuck in Summer School.

I figure I'll be out their sometime in mid July.  I've heard Rickwood is awesome.  One day I'm going to see that park though.  I got some pics of it in my baseball stadium book. 

I thought it was cool how Shoeless Joe moved up from a company team.

You can still go see Rickwood while you are here.... might even be an amateur game going on.....

You can still go see Rickwood while you are here.... might even be an amateur game going on.....

Spose they'd let an amateur Jeff Fassero pitch. I think I can still hit 75 or so :lol:

But assuming I can convince the others, I'm at least stopping by and seeing the Rick