Pat Burrell

on the philly/stl game tony larussa told the umps to check pat burrells bat because the phillies had the umps make sure nothing was on julian tavarez's cap and the umps took burrells bat away and it is being tested and the broadcasters said the top of the bat looked like it might have been corked :o :headshake

on the philly/stl game tony larussa told the umps to check pat burrells bat because the phillies had the umps make sure nothing was on julian tavarez's cap and the umps took burrells bat away and it is being tested and the broadcasters said the top of the bat looked like it might have been corked  :o :headshake

LaRussa asking the umpires to exam Burrells bat was done just as you indicated, because Bowa made a request of the umps to check Tavarez's hat for a "foreign substance."

No cork in Burrells bat, the announcers don't know what the hell they're talking about.

#1) I think LaRussa is way overrated as a manager; he manages 100% "by the book". Bring in the lefty to face a lefty hitter, vice versa. Anyone can manage like that.

#3) Re. the "cork" issue, if I was a manager facing the sCrUBS, I would have the umpires examine Sosa's bats anytime he got a homerun or a hit against my team.

a) He's already been busted once; AND

B) It would piss him off and get into his head.

I don't know why opposing managers have yet to ask to have his bats examined.