Steroid Night

Here's a ballpark promotion that just might grow on you: Steroid Night.

Random fans among the 1,500 who attended last night's Clinton (Iowa) LumberKings game were handed urine-sample cups, and any fans who said their name was Jose Canseco, Ken Caminiti or Lyle Alzado got reduced-price tickets for just $2.

"We're having fun with a very serious subject," Ted Tornow, general manager of the Class A team, told the Des Moines Register. "It's an ongoing problem in not only baseball, but about everything else — from the Olympics on down.

"I'm sure I'll hear about that (invoking the name of Alzado, whose death was precipitated by steroid use). But if we get one person that thought about steroids and doesn't do it — that's fine with me."

I've been to a few Lumber Kings games -- I remember way back when they were the Clinton Giants --

any fans who said their name was Jose Canseco, Ken Caminiti or Lyle Alzado got reduced-price tickets for just $2.

couldnt they have at least let them in for free, i mean how many people do you think actually have one of those names and showed up :rolleyes:

but anyways that sounds like a pretty fun promotion