**The Official let's see what Feliz Diaz can do**

maggsmaggs

He has been given a chance 4 straight years to be a major league pitcher, his era has never been under 5.18. Hawk treats him like a God after he won 14 games for us in 2002, but his era was 5.18; that's still terrible. Whenever, he pitches he helps us lose, he has won 1 game since the start of last year. On the other hand, Feliz Diaz:

PITCHERS W-L SV ERA IP H R ER BB IB SO

Diaz, Felix 4- 0 0 2.01 31.1 23 9 7 3 0 29

He has only walked 3 batters and given up only 23 hits, which is a .83 WHIP. Albeit Triple A, he couldn't fare much worse than Dan Wright. Any thoughts?

If Dan Wright doesn't win 1 of his next 2 starts I'm all for it. Diaz is absolutely dominating AAA hitters at the moment. I'd rather see him as the 5th starter than Cotts, as I don't want to wreck his confidence that he's building in the pen.

Well in dannys last start its kinda hard to win giving up 3 runs when your team only scores 1

Would you take 3 runs each outing from your 5th starter though? I think almost every team in the majors would, 3 runs gives you an excellent chance of winning. ;)

Well in dannys last start its kinda hard to win giving up 3 runs when your team only scores 1

Good point, but he's barely getting through four innings in his starts, that's what worries me.

I'm not really angry with how Wright has done so far, but I think there's a guy down at AAA (Diaz) who can do a much better job and has earned it. If it doesn't work out you can always send him back down, but I'd give Diaz a shot. Or Cotts.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan56789 @ May 1 2004, 03:34 PM)

CWSGUY SAID:

Good point, but he's barely getting through four innings in his starts, that's what worries me.

I'm not really angry with how Wright has done so far, but I think there's a guy down at AAA (Diaz) who can do a much better job and has earned it. If it doesn't work out you can always send him back down, but I'd give Diaz a shot. Or Cotts

Both good points. I agree that Danny hasn't looked REAL bad in his last couple of starts, but he isn't winning games or going longer than 5 innings and that by itself is not acceptable. I fully expect him to get a few more chances though. I think the Sox view it as just too early in the season to be making player moves as we have been suggesting. However, if it does get done I think it will be a flip flop of Wright and Cotts and not one or the other being sent down or someone being brought up.

I can't agree more.... I'm sick and tired of seeing Wright trot out there every 5th game.... If we had nobody who should get a legitmate chance to start that would be one thing, but with Diaz, Cotts, Raush (SP?), and even Kohlmeir (SP?) pitching excellent to good there's no reason for him to start anymore

Guest JimH
QUOTE (whitesoxfan56789 @ May 1 2004, 03:34 PM)

CWSGUY SAID:

I'm not really angry with how Wright has done so far, but I think there's a guy down at AAA (Diaz) who can do a much better job and has earned it. If it doesn't work out you can always send him back down, but I'd give Diaz a shot. Or Cotts

Both good points. I agree that Danny hasn't looked REAL bad in his last couple of starts, but he isn't winning games or going longer than 5 innings and that by itself is not acceptable. I fully expect him to get a few more chances though. I think the Sox view it as just too early in the season to be making player moves as we have been suggesting. However, if it does get done I think it will be a flip flop of Wright and Cotts and not one or the other being sent down or someone being brought up.

Good post.

I mentioned in the other thread about it being May 1st and it's doubtful Cotts could be stretched out to become a starter in 2004. While I was against it (putting him in the bullpen) it appears I was wrong and there's no doubt he's getting good results and experience at the major league level.

As for Dan Wright, I agree he should be on a fairly short leash. But, a guy with an arm like his should be given 7-8 starts to see if he can get on a roll. I fully understand we can't throw away games, even early. Yet, he's not been awful. He's had a couple of very credible pitching performances and he's gotten better.

Competition is good, and Diaz and Rauch are good alternatives if/when the need arises. I guess what the debate is about is, are we at that point yet? I am frustrated with Wright's inconsistencies, but he had his mechanics tweaked over the last 12 months and there's no doubt he's talented. IMO, I think it's just a little early to pull the plug on him. I'd like to see 3-4 more starts. They are showing confidence in him, which should help him. Either he rises to the challenge or he doesn't.

I'd like to see more of a body of work ... I think a better judgement on this guy is after 8-10 starts. Just my .02

Good post.

I mentioned in the other thread about it being May 1st and it's doubtful Cotts could be stretched out to become a starter in 2004.  While I was against it (putting him in the bullpen) it appears I was wrong and there's no doubt he's getting good results and experience at the major league level.

As for Dan Wright, I agree he should be on a fairly short leash.  But, a guy with an arm like his should be given 7-8 starts to see if he can get on a roll.  I fully understand we can't throw away games, even early.  Yet, he's not been awful.  He's had a couple of very credible pitching performances and he's gotten better.

Competition is good, and Diaz and Rauch are good alternatives if/when the need arises.  I guess what the debate is about is, are we at that point yet?  I am frustrated with Wright's inconsistencies, but he had his mechanics tweaked over the last 12 months and there's no doubt he's talented.  IMO, I think it's just a little early to pull the plug on him.  I'd like to see 3-4 more starts.  They are showing confidence in him, which should help him.  Either he rises to the challenge or he doesn't.

I'd like to see more of a body of work ... I think a better judgement on this guy is after 8-10 starts.  Just my .02

Good point. I see no reason to move Cotts to that fifth starter spot. He's been very successful at what he has been doing, so, IMO, there's no reason to move him.

Then again, say Wright can't cut it at the fifth starter spot and Rauch/Diaz is called up - who do we send down? If it's based on performance alone, It would have to be Wright or Koch. But I don't think Koch can be sent down, so....

Thoughts?

Guest JimH

I guess the guy they'd "have" to send down is Adkins. Maybe Wright has options left, but I doubt it.

Adkins is doing a decent job too.

But sometimes it's other factors that come into play, and Jon is the 12th guy on a 12 man staff, and likely the most susceptible for a trip to AAA.

I guess the guy they'd "have" to send down is Adkins.  Maybe Wright has options left, but I doubt it.

Adkins is doing a decent job too.

But sometimes it's other factors that come into play, and Jon is the 12th guy on a 12 man staff, and likely the most susceptible for a trip to AAA.

Hmm, see, I wouldn't like if Adkins was sent down, simply because other than one bad outting, he's performed well. Now, if the next time we send him out to the bump he sucks, then we have problems...

I agree. Adkins would be the most likely guy sent down. Maybe he could get a chance in the closer's role at AAA.

I guess the guy they'd "have" to send down is Adkins. Maybe Wright has options left, but I doubt it.

Wright has plenty of options. He has used either one or none. I couldn't determine which is correct because of certain circumstances.

Guest JimH
I agree. Adkins would be the most likely guy sent down. Maybe he could get a chance in the closer's role at AAA.

Could be, I'd like to see him get more responsibility, he is doing a pretty good job.

Right now, most of the pen is doing fairly well ... they've all been doing the job, give or take the occasional speed bump.

Time has a way of sorting these things out, an injury could happen, etc.

And Wunsch is still down in Charlotte too. I'm thinking he is the odd main out, i.e. trade bait.

Guest JimH
Wright has plenty of options.  He has used either one or none.  I couldn't determine which is correct because of certain circumstances.

There we go, Rex is our options expert, so that means they've got flexibility with Wright too.

2 points about that. 1) Look who he was facing at the time. Not only the TB D-Rays, but a struggling offensive club at that. Don't know if you saw the game or not, but did you see how many ball-four pitches that weren't even close to the zone that were swung at?

Any quality team with a good eye and patience at the plate would have made look Wright look sick. In all reality, his overall pitching effort that day should have given him his annual "27 walks" in a 4 inning stint. Before the season really starts getting heated up, let's try and establish a 5th starter with it being ANYBODY ELSE that Wrighty boy!!!! I've had about enough of him also.

"IT"S TIME TO MOVE ON!!!!!!!"

I'll give Wright 2-3 more starts, but he has to go deeper into ball games. If the team isn't winning then I don't necessarily give him a knock as long as he's putting them in position to win, cause thats what you ask of your 5th starter.

However, these 4 inning outings aren't something you want to constantly see. I see say that Cotts could be strecthed out, it isn't as if we've came to expect long outings from our 5th starters anyway. So give Cotts a few 4 inning outings and slowly up him and he'd be ready to go after a few starts.

But if Cotts goes to the rotation, then Wunsch has to come up to the bullpen, imo. I like Diaz though, he's got some impressive stuff and really seems to have put it all together this year.

If he can't produce 6/3er today, then the Wright Era should be over. You can't have 6.00+ ERA pitchers in the rotation, choking against Devil Rays in friggin' April.

Diaz, Rauch....I do not care. Adkins down, Wright - BP.

Speaking of Adkins, he made 1 bad pitch to Judy Gerut, so his ML stint shouldn't be viewed as an abject failure. In fact, as he hones that third pitch in AAA and remembers how silly he made Lawton and Viaquel look, I hope he realizes he belongs in the bigs.