New No. 5 spot

The Beast

Who will be our new No. 5 starter???  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our new No. 5 starter???

• Cotts
    • Adkins
    • other
    • Diaz
    • Rauch

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cotts or Diaz. Choose your pick.

Well, I only question Diaz's ability to pitch in the big leagues because lack of experience but because we have him listed as a No. 5 starter on the depth chart for the future, we shall see.

It is clear Cotts deserves a shot first though before it is debated anymore.

But you have to figure in that it would limit us to one lefty reliever. Cotts is going to be a starter, whether it's this year or next year should be about need, not just hooking him up. Right now, Cotts has more value in the pen IMO with a guy like Diaz coming in as the fifth starter. We'll see, but if Diaz can come in and throw strikes, we will be way better off than with DW at the helm. I really thought he turned around during ST and was going to be a solid fifth starter. Obviously I was wrong, but at least we're making a decision before it got too out of hand. But I still think Cotts has more value to us this season where he's at and having Diaz or even Grilli take the fifth spot. That's just me though.

But you have to figure in that it would limit us to one lefty reliever. Cotts is going to be a starter, whether it's this year or next year should be about need, not just hooking him up. Right now, Cotts has more value in the pen IMO with a guy like Diaz coming in as the fifth starter. We'll see, but if Diaz can come in and throw strikes, we will be way better off than with DW at the helm. I really thought he turned around during ST and was going to be a solid fifth starter. Obviously I was wrong, but at least we're making a decision before it got too out of hand. But I still think Cotts has more value to us this season where he's at and having Diaz or even Grilli take the fifth spot. That's just me though.

Yah, but we do still have Kelly in AAA and dont need a fifth for a few days.

Yah, but we do still have Kelly in AAA and dont need a fifth for a few days.

We'll if he were the guy to be called up, then Cotts would be a great choice for the fifth spot. However, Wunsch is either not ready from his injury or the Sox just have no interest in him anymore. I think he's still hurt, but I have no doubt the Sox will move him if given the opportunity that made sense. Regardless though, my point is that I don't think they consider him an option right now.

Well, I've said a few times that Cotts needs to get the nod but now that DW is actually gone, I'd have to say we go with Diaz. Sure, he's very young, no experience, but he's tearing some s*** up so far this season. I like Cotts in the pen, until next year.

If they do pick someone other than Cotts, I really hope that either Ozzie or Coop sit down and explain the situation to Neal so that he doesn't lose any confidence.

I can't see how either Adkins or Cotts is likely to get stretched out without taking them out of their present roles. The pen as a whole has been doing well so its not a good time to mess with it.

They're not going to need a 5th guy until about Minny on the 16th, so let the competition begin at Charlotte and Birmingham, may the best man win. I include Birmingham because the Sox have never shown reluctance to use an AA guy if he's got stuff.

Watch the next two starts for everybody, and keep an eye on who they finagle to go on May 12, that puts him on schedule for the next 5th guy start.

Don't discount Danny Wright coming back either, if regular turns get him back to where he was coming out of ST, he might win the job again.

We are hitting a stretch where we do not need a 5th starter. If Wright pitches well "down on the farm" he'll be back. It's still too early in the season. This keeps him pitching and staying in his rthym.

Diaz deserves a shot. I'd rather leave Cotts in the pen where he's pitchin well. What happens if Cotts struggles startin, and then can't find his groove in the pen if he's moved back? ;)

So...I've realized that I don't know as much about Diaz as I should. :ph34r: Can anyone point me to a good place to go and learn more about this guy?

Also, as of right now, I think Cotts should be given a shot at starting. He's been looking good coming out of the bullpen. But I do understand what some of you are saying about the bullpen and how if it's not broken don't mess with it. If the Sox didn't seem to be so against Kelly W. all of a sudden, I would say that I think in a few weeks when a 5th starter is needed again, Kelly could fill Neal's spot. But that's just my opinion.

Cotts hasn't piched enough to be given a starting spot. He is worthy but would need to start a couple of times at AAA first. I think he is in his role for the season and it is working.

We are 15-5 in games not started by Danny Wright. Not moving anything around with current guys is key.

KW needs to get some experience in here. As the season wears on this will be the biggest challenge (Glavine, Leiter, Randy Johnson, Kris Benson????) A team that needs a lefty for their pen could be talked to for Kelly now.

I think the safest bet is Rauch followed by Grilli. I am not liking Buerhle on three days rest. If we win the first two and do nto use the pen i would like to go the 3-3-pen route

I'm gonna have to go with Cotts on this one. Cotts has been displaying outstanding poise out on the mound this year and has the "I WILL get this guy out" mentality instead of the "we'll see If I get this guy out" kind of mentality, which is evident in his pitching. He's clearly comfortable out there. Bring Wunsch up to the pen when he's ready and allow Cotts the chance.