New No. 5 spot

The Beast

Who will be our new No. 5 starter???  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our new No. 5 starter???

• Cotts
    • Adkins
    • other
    • Diaz
    • Rauch

I want to see Stewart back up here. The kid showed potential before his hand injury. Although others see differently, scouts at the baseball games have recently said that they have been scouting him over Diaz because he is a good gamble. Bring Diaz up as well.

Did he have a hand injury or drilled in ribs???

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he have a hand injury or drilled in ribs???

Josh got drilled by a liner, I think in the ribs. He developed numbness in his throwing shoulder and they found a blood clot.

Very serious business.

Luckily, they were able to treat it without operation, (unlike Rueben Hernandez) although the therapy cost him the 2003 season.

I was impressed with him last year and if he has his strength and stamina back he could be a good option. But after 6 months out of training, on powerfull meds, it is wise not to rush him.

He's had some rough outings going into the good game earlier this week, I wish we could see his pitch count and get a better handle on him.

Any spies in Charlotte see him?

I just read an article about the possibilty of Aaron Sele being moved. Now he'll be nothin betta than a #5 starter for us, but he's in the final year of a 3 year $24 million deal. If we could get a prospect as well if we trade Konerko mayb, Sele would help giv us sum serious payroll flexibility of about $30 million dollars, with Maggs, Koch and Valentin's contract coming off the books.

I heard that ozzie already said cotts is staying in the pen. I hope our eventual 5th starter comes via trade but thats in the future. If this diaz kid is for real and rauch and wright aren't pitching lights out and i mean LIGHTS OUT in the minors, then bring up diaz :bringit

From the MLB site:

Hurling toward the rotation: Manager Ozzie Guillen said a decision about the fifth starter will be made on Monday or Tuesday. Felix Diaz is the odds-on favorite, with the right-hander posting a 5-0 record, 1.86 ERA and 31 strikeouts and four walks in 38 2/3 innings for Triple-A Charlotte.

Diaz threw a side session Saturday and could be held back from his start Monday in order to pitch in the upcoming Baltimore series at U.S. Cellular Field. The fifth starter's spot comes up Saturday against Minnesota, but the South Siders could juggle their rotation to have veteran hurlers facing the Twins.

"I have no reservations on who pitches," Cooper said of the fifth starter facing Minnesota. "It's not something where, 'Oh, we have to do this or we have to do that.'"

Arnie Munoz was another possibility mentioned by Guillen. The converted reliever improved to 5-0 for Double-A Birmingham on Saturday, with a 1.23 ERA. The left-hander has 35 strikeouts and nine walks over 36 2/3 innings, allowing a mere 18 hits. He would be on schedule to start Thursday afternoon's game against the Orioles.