Rickey says Rickey wants to play

Henderson Back With Independent League Team

All-Time Steals Leader Looks to Hook on With a Major League Club

NEWARK, N.J. (May 2) -- Rickey Henderson, regarded by many as the greatest leadoff hitter in baseball history, is back in the independent league.

The 45-year-old outfielder signed Sunday with the Atlantic League's Newark Bears.

Henderson is the all-time leader in runs, stolen bases and walks and hopes a strong performance with the non-affiliated independent league team will again make him more attractive to major league executives.

Last year, Henderson used his stint with the Bears to sign with the Los Angeles Dodgers on July 14. He batted .339 with eight home runs, 15 doubles, two triples, nine stolen bases and 33 RBI with Newark

In 30 games with the Dodgers in 2003, Henderson hit .208 (15-for-72) with seven runs scored, one double, two home runs and five RBI.

"I'm thrilled to be returning to Newark for the upcoming season," he said. "I will always appreciate that they allowed me to showcase my skills last season, giving me the chance to return to the majors with the Dodgers."

The 1990 American League Most Valuable Player, Henderson stole a major league record 130 bases for the Oakland Athletics in 1982 and joined the 3,000-hit club with the San Diego Padres in October 2001.

After breaking in with the A's in 1979, Henderson has played for nine teams, including four stints with Oakland, tenures with both New York teams and stops in Toronto, Anaheim, Seattle and Boston, as well as San Diego and Los Angeles.

A career .279 hitter, Henderson has appeared in 3,081 games. He has appeared in three World Series, winning titles with Oakland in 1989 and Toronto in 1993. In addition, he has scored 2,295 runs, stole 1,406 bases and walked 2,190 times.

I have to admire his love of the game. I'm wondering if he can be voted into the HoF while playing for Newark? I could see him batting .300 for the Bears when he turns 50.

Rickey says that Rickey could use the paychecks to get his jewelry and Lexus out of hock.  ;)

:nono

Rickey is still very much a rich man. He was on HBO with Bob Costas and is not even close to being broke from the looks of things.