Frank

BigHurt4evah

I don't know where to find the info on eligability.  Isn't it something like less then 75 games played or something like that? I'm pretty sure he's not eligiable, but if he is, he gets my vote!

I believe it is something like he cannot play more than 80 games in the previous two seasons combined.

Our offense depends on one guy...and that is Thomas.

If Thomas hits like he did last year(.250-.260, 25-30 homers, 90-100 RBI, 115+ K's, 90 BB) then we will have an offense similar to last year's offense. If Thomas is back to 2000 form(.330 45 145 with 120 BBs and 90 K's), our offense will be better than 2000's offense....because Valentin will then get fastballs to hit, and he does hit fastballs well....and then Jimenez will start to hit well....and Olivo will, and Rowand will, and so on and so on....a chain reaction....and it all depends on 1 guy....that being Thomas.

We could have a team AVG of around .280-.300....seriously. If Jimenez, Valentin, Olivo, and Lee all hit .270....Konerko and Crede both hit .290....and Thomas and Maggs both hit .330-.350(which is possible)....along with good averages from the bench....that is atleast a .280 team average....given, this is statistically speaking and the only stats that matter are wins and losses...but these two have a direct correlation. This isn't even mentioning the power numbers these guys could put up....6 of them could and probably will go deep around 25 times....and 8 of the guys in our lineup could hit 20 homers....with Jimenez contributing 10 or so....and this brings me to my simple theory for offensive success....

good team average + good team power = a lot of f***in runs

And this all lays on one man's shoulders....Frank Thomas. I can see why JR wanted him back so badly.

I also am in the consesus that he will have a monster year.

BTW whatever happened to the "little hurt" Craig Grebeck (sp)

count me in too...thomas and griffey win the AL and NL comeback player awards respectively

I wouldn't bet against you on that one... well, actually I would, but I think you very well could be right.

While his name is being discussed, I guess now would be a good time to bring up the issue of his new contract. I'm sure you guys have gone over this already, but since I'm new, I missed out. :(

The contract is a 1-year contract worth $5M, with the next 3 or 4 seasons engulfed in options -- that much is pretty straight-forward. But, when the season ends, there is the whole "mutual option" issue. Now, let's say Frank has a year comparable to 2000. His value, presumably, would be more than whatever the Sox would be offering for 2004 (I think it was something like $6 or $7M). He, then, could opt to buy out his contract and become an unrestricted free agent. However, if he has a season like 2002, the Sox could decline the option and Frank would become an UFA, believing he's not worth the $6-$7M for 2004 -- right?

So, being a huge fan of Frank, am I supposed to hope he has an average year (something like .300, 30, 115 -- for him, that's probably below average, sickly enough) with the hopes that he will stay in a Sox uniform? :huh:

I wish the Sox would just sign him to a standard, uncomplicated contract.

Anyway, if anyone can simplify it for me, I'd appreciate it.

weclome!

I don't understand the contract and wonder if any of us can since none of us have seen it and studied it -

I base my hopes on JR's affection for Frank and after Frank's monster season this year everyone havibg the heads together and Frank staying - I believe Frank wants to stay so that is in our favor -

a part of the contract restructuring as I understood it was to make some things better for him legal wise for child support and various things for tax purposes, which was certainly wise on everyone's part -

franks seems to be a guy whose feelings run close to the surface...best thing we fans can do is cheer him all year and let him know he is really wanted here..combine that with a sucessful post seson and big numbers by frank and both sides will do what CW suggests and get something worked out...it would be so cool to see frank retire in a white sox uniform

The contract is definately odd, but even if Frank has a good year, I don't see him getting any offers bigger then whath he's already due.

My logic for this is first of all, free agency really seems to of changed and most teams aren't out there throwing money all over. Secondly, of those teams throwing money around, The Yanks don't need a Dh, Boston could use one but they didn't have much interest this year and I doubt they would next year. The Dodgers could go for him, but they act like they don't have the money or at least they didn't have the money to sign Cliff Floyd this year to play first.

Plus, I don't see teams wanting to give Thomas a long term deal considering how inconsistent he has been the past 4 years, especially one where they owe him a lot of money.

The contract is definately odd, but even if Frank has a good year, I don't see him getting any offers bigger then whath he's already due.

A career DH will not be getting any blockbuster offers..... unless he hits close to .400 every year. As good as Frank is, the "career DH" stigma is gonna follow him around till he retires. It will then resurface when it comes time to vote on Big Hurt for the HoF.

While his name is being discussed, I guess now would be a good time to bring up the issue of his new contract.  I'm sure you guys have gone over this already, but since I'm new, I missed out. :(   

The contract is a 1-year contract worth $5M, with the next 3 or 4 seasons engulfed in options  -- that much is pretty straight-forward.  But, when the season ends, there is the whole "mutual option" issue.  Now, let's say Frank has a year comparable to 2000.  His value, presumably, would be more than whatever the Sox would be offering for 2004 (I think it was something like $6 or $7M).  He, then, could opt to buy out his contract and become an unrestricted free agent.  However, if he has a season like 2002, the Sox could decline the option and Frank would become an UFA, believing he's not worth the $6-$7M for 2004 -- right?

So, being a huge fan of Frank, am I supposed to hope he has an average year (something like .300, 30, 115 -- for him, that's probably below average, sickly enough) with the hopes that he will stay in a Sox uniform? :huh:

I wish the Sox would just sign him to a standard, uncomplicated contract. 

Anyway, if anyone can simplify it for me, I'd appreciate it.

If I understand this contract thing correctly, Frank has the option of coming back in 2004 for $6M. If he declines to pick up the option, the Sox can do so but they'll have to pay him $8M. At the point, Frank has an escape clause, to where he can be a FA even though the Sox picked up the option. I believe that next postseason is the only time he can invoke the escape clause, even though the mutual option thing is there for every year of the contract. For example, in 2005, if the Sox pick up the option, Frank cannot use the escape clause.

Does any of what I just said make sense? Hell, now I'm confused.

Guys, if I have this screwed up, straighten me out on this. Of course, you'd do that anyway. :)

Frank Thomas will be good this season, I assure you. I mean, come on, how could you get worse than last season. That's right! You can't. For Frank, I'm guessing he'll post a 30-105-.305 season statistically. As for the Hall of Fame, if he puts uo numbers like he did last season, he ain't going in. But if he maintains 3 more good steady seasons with the White Sox, he will probably be going to Cooperstown. That's my opinion.

Say Thomas hits .350 50 150 with an OBP of .500....that looks like a $10-12 mill season....not so fast though. Consider this....

With the new CBA, prices of players are dropping dramatically....last year, Kenny Rogers would have gotten $4-6 mill....not this year. This year, he's struggling to get any offers whatsoever....the only offers he's really gotten are probably from us, the Red Sox, the Rangers, the Mariners, and Japan....and only us, the M's and Japan are really still in the race....so that would bring even a great season down atleast $1 million and most likely way more....so we'll say that kind of season is worth around $8-10 million.

His defense is very weak....though better than Mo Vaughn's.....still, his defense could cost some teams some crucial games....which also brings his value down some as well....around a million....so as of right now, we're talking about that kind of season being worth $7-9 mill....and he will be 36 next year....getting to be a pretty old guy. That could also bring his value down to about $6-8 mill.

If Tellum has any sense whatsoever....he'll realize that $6 million with the possibility to earn $7+ and that's the smart way to go....and he'll have Thomas accept it.

Either that, or the Sox and Frank rework a deal at the end of the year that makes him being with the Sox for the rest of his career....maybe a 5-year deal or so....that'd leave him with the Sox till his 41....and then resign him every year until he retires after that.

I think Thomas will end his career with the White Sox....that'll be damn neat.

I think Frank is gonna stick around for awhile. :D

dont remember who, but somebody said he'd be goin to LA? An NL team? I hardly see it happening. of course I'll never say never... again... but unless he's used as a pinch-hitter in 5+ years, I can't see him playing 1b every day. or even once a week.

As far as stats go, I think he'll have about a .320/35/130 year. It would help if we got a clear leadoff man for him to knock in. does anybody know if D'Angelo Jimenez is fast? I mean I know he's not slow, but is he willie harris speed?

Say Thomas hits .350 50 150 with an OBP of .500....that looks like a $10-12 mill season....not so fast though.  Consider this....

With the new CBA, prices of players are dropping dramatically....last year, Kenny Rogers would have gotten $4-6 mill....not this year.  This year, he's struggling to get any offers whatsoever....the only offers he's really gotten are probably from us, the Red Sox, the Rangers, the Mariners, and Japan....and only us, the M's and Japan are really still in the race....so that would bring even a great season down atleast $1 million and most likely way more....so we'll say that kind of season is worth around $8-10 million.

His defense is very weak....though better than Mo Vaughn's.....still, his defense could cost some teams some crucial games....which also brings his value down some as well....around a million....so as of right now, we're talking about that kind of season being worth $7-9 mill....and he will be 36 next year....getting to be a pretty old guy.  That could also bring his value down to about $6-8 mill. 

If Tellum has any sense whatsoever....he'll realize that $6 million with the possibility to earn $7+ and that's the smart way to go....and he'll have Thomas accept it.

Either that, or the Sox and Frank rework a deal at the end of the year that makes him being with the Sox for the rest of his career....maybe a 5-year deal or so....that'd leave him with the Sox till his 41....and then resign him every year until he retires after that. 

I think Thomas will end his career with the White Sox....that'll be damn neat.

I'm with you 100%. First off I don't see much interest in an offensive minded first baseman that doesn't really want to play first, although he says he would like a bit more time this year.

He's also aging and has been too inconsistent the past couple years for anyone to give him a long term contract worth a lot of money. I seriously believe his best bet is the contract he has with the Sox and it is why Carlos Lee is playing his final season on the southside.