Sox 5th Starter??

Rex Hudler

Guest hotsoxchick1
speaking of ST..why the hell are we in arizona??...our summer weather mimicks florida in march with both being at sea level and the humidity then pitching  in arizona at a higher altitude adn in very dry air...if curve balls break alot ore here then they do in arizona doesnt it make it hard for the manager to tell who will be successful in chicago???

umm...... because more snowbirds are flocking to arizona instead of florida......lol..lol...lol...lol....

Great teams are great up the middle ... the Sox have lots of question marks.  More than anything, this may be the key to the '03 season.

I agree. If nothing else, they need to be dependable. Valentin has those "harmless" errors people keep talking about, then you have 3 untested players. I guess if you're not a N.Y. team, you're always going to have some question marks though. The talent is there, though, and we'll have enough games against the mighty Royals, Tigers, and Indians that we should still be able to win plenty in spite of any poor execution due to inexperience.

Great teams are great up the middle ... the Sox have lots of question marks.  More than anything, this may be the key to the '03 season.

I agree. If nothing else, they need to be dependable. Valentin has those "harmless" errors people keep talking about, then you have 3 untested players. I guess if you're not a N.Y. team, you're always going to have some question marks though. The talent is there, though, and we'll have enough games against the mighty Royals, Tigers, and Indians that we should still be able to win plenty in spite of any poor execution due to inexperience.

what makes valentin's errors 'harmless' is the fact that sometime during the game he will probably make a play or 2 that maybe only 3 or 4 other SS in the game will make to make up for it....his combination of range and arm strength are a huge asset and outwieghs his carelessness with errors..

At first I thought I wanted Rauch to be the 5th guy, but the more I think about it the more I question it. I have no doubts whatsoever that Jon will be that guy by June or so, but early in the season that spot is not an easy one to hold down. Sometimes having almost 10 days or so inbetween starts. That would be a tough spot to put a young guy in. I think either Heredia or Loiza will do a very good job in keeping that spot warm until around June for Rauch to step in. The more I think about it, the more I really like those signings by KW. I think Daubach is really going to help and Loiza and Heredia will too.

Tell him to pitch 4 or 5 games in AAA, then we'll bring you up.   Of course, that could backfire if Loaiza or Heredia or whoever is 3-0 with 1.69 ERA on May 1st.   That would be a good problem to have, though.

That is exactly why they can't tell him any more than go to AAA pitch your ass off and your time will come. You can't promise a guy something or even say you intend to do something specific like that.

What if Rauch is 1-2 with a 4.95 ERA in AAA? Do they feel pressured to bring him up at a certain point because of a "promise made"?

Realistically, if Rauch goes to Charlotte, he could be in Chicago in May or not until September depending on what the 5th starter does and whether injuries occur.

rex..wasnt that foulke's big complaint???...that jerry promised him as soon as he straightened himself out the closer roles was his..then jerry said i cant do it because osuna and marte were 22 out of 24 in saves...

i doubt jerry learned from that he could very well tell rauch he will be sent to AAA then called up by such and such a date..then have something happen where he cant do it ...then rauch is pissed off :o

I think Rauch is going to have a great year this year, but I do think it would benefit him to start the year in AAA, and get the ball every 5th day, the Sox should start him in AAA and bring him up when the 5th starter gets the ball regularly, if Rauch gets his chance this year, I think he's going to win ROY.

Tell him to pitch 4 or 5 games in AAA, then we'll bring you up.   Of course, that could backfire if Loaiza or Heredia or whoever is 3-0 with 1.69 ERA on May 1st.   That would be a good problem to have, though.

That is exactly why they can't tell him any more than go to AAA pitch your ass off and your time will come. You can't promise a guy something or even say you intend to do something specific like that.

What if Rauch is 1-2 with a 4.95 ERA in AAA? Do they feel pressured to bring him up at a certain point because of a "promise made"?

Realistically, if Rauch goes to Charlotte, he could be in Chicago in May or not until September depending on what the 5th starter does and whether injuries occur.

rex..wasnt that foulke's big complaint???...that jerry promised him as soon as he straightened himself out the closer roles was his..then jerry said i cant do it because osuna and marte were 22 out of 24 in saves...

i doubt jerry learned from that he could very well tell rauch he will be sent to AAA then called up by such and such a date..then have something happen where he cant do it ...then rauch is pissed off :o

If Manuel told Rauch that he'd be back up if whoever was the 5th starter didn't pitch well in May, then I'd be fine with that....because that would give the Sox some room to work with....if, say, Heredia is 4-0 2.50 at that time...I'm not going to say "OK Gil....you are pitching great. Now go rot away in AAA."

If Manuel warns Jon ahead of time that he may not be back up in May, dependant upon how the #5 starter does, then I'd be fine with it...I won't be happy if he gives him the job and then doesn't throw him any in April, except for his 3 or 4 starts or whatever, and I don't really want him to have that cold weather affect how he pitches....but then again, I won't get mad if he gives him the job...it obviously means that Rauch did a good enough job in ST to get the job and he will be pitching regularily from that spot, and when he misses a start in April due to scheuduling, make damn sure to get him some pitching from the bullpen....maybe give a guy a rest on a night when, say, Gordon is tired from 2 straight nights's work.

Similar type situation yes....

Now sometimes what is said by one person and what is heard by the other have different interpretations. I don't know exactly what Manuel told Foulke, but that is why you have to be careful making promises.