Koch is no longer the closer...please

Get the MLB package and watch these games.  You'll have a different perspective in no time.

You just can't relate unless you actually sit down and watch Koch come into a save situation.  99% of the soxtalk representatives can not be wrong....

That's your opinon.. and you are wrong. Shut the hell up, too :P

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the last 2 games he saved on ESPN... He got the save, im satisfied with that.. yeah it was rocky, but he pulled it out... he did what was asked..

I watch baseball, I watch the Sox as much as possible.. Ive seen Koch pitch so you all dont have to think i dont know whats goin on and talking out my ass.. Hes better than last yr, and hes getting saves this year..

I watched the last 2 games he saved on ESPN... He got the save, im satisfied with that.. yeah it was rocky, but he pulled it out... he did what was asked..

I watch baseball, I watch the Sox as much as possible.. Ive seen Koch pitch so you all dont have to think i dont know whats goin on and talking out my ass.. Hes better than last yr, and hes getting saves this year..

He is getting the saves, but very few of them have come when the Sox had a 1-run lead upon his entry. If you think he'll continue getting saves by walking 3 batters per inning, you're nuts. Just because he's had a lucky 4-outing run shouldn't mean we need not be concerned.

I know. Isn't it neat..

Just don't tell lies.. that's not nice.  :nono

Nah, sorry.. I cant say I found it that neat

Ill be sure to try to keep the lies on the down low, im natorious for lying..

Hes not getting the job done?? Are you sure about that, because I didnt know walks, ERA, and a slow fastball (which is 93-95, not that slow anyways) was what counted as converting a save

It just counts for whether or not a guy is pitching well or pitching badly. In my opinion, if your closer is pitching badly, get somebody else.

You still haven't answered my question. How many blown saves before Koch is demoted.

Let me ask you another question, Anthony. If Koch had an ERA of 0.20, an average of 2 strikeouts per inning and no walks but had blown his last 3 save opportunities because of a wild pitch, 2 hit batsman and 3 bloop singles - would you want him demoted then?

It just counts for whether or not a guy is pitching well or pitching badly.  In my opinion, if your closer is pitching badly, get somebody else.

You still haven't answered my question.  How many blown saves before Koch is demoted.

Let me ask you another question, Anthony.  If Koch had an ERA of 0.20, an average of 2 strikeouts per inning and no walks but had blown his last 3 save opportunities because of a wild pitch, 2 hit batsman and 3 bloop singles - would you want him demoted then?

Oz im not seeing your point here..

You cant sit here and predict when hes gonna blow a save, but what you can see is that he hasnt blown one in a while now and has been getting the job done.. so why take him out when theres no problem??

Yes he has been erratic, but he gets the save none the less

I cant answer your question about how many, but I have nothing to worry about until he actually blows another save... for all you know he may go 30 for 30 the rest of the year.. who knows... well have to see but what I do know is he is saving games, thats all we ask of him

Guest JimH
Which also means it's likely to be closed soon....

Just sayin..  :rolleyes:

And I haven't even said anything yet.

Oops.

You cant sit here and predict when hes gonna blow a save, but what you can see is that he hasnt blown one in a while now and has been getting the job done.. so why take him out when theres no problem??

See Anthony - this is where we're going to have to agree to disagree because I believe you can predict that he is going to blow saves in the near future. His pitching is SO bad for a closer that it seems to me its obvious. I

'm just not willing to wait - I'm hopeful we're in a division race, not some last place team with a young closer learning the ropes.

I think that a major league manager and GM have to try to predict when a guy is going to fail and protect the team from it. Look at Danny Wright. There's no reason we had to let this guy get us 19 straight losses before we figured out he can't pitch in the majors. I would hope that Ozzie and Kenny can look at his stuff and tell he can't make it - not just wait until he loses and loses and loses and loses.... :bang

ill agree that koch is pitching poorly...i have no problem admitting that, but he is pitching just well enough to get the saves, which is fine with me for now....keyword is for now...and im done arguing this, becuase no matter what there will be people with different opinions...which is fine by me :D

See Anthony - this is where we're going to have to agree to disagree because I believe you can predict that he is going to blow saves in the near future.  His pitching is SO bad for a closer that it seems to me its obvious.  I

'm just not willing to wait - I'm hopeful we're in a division race, not some last place team with a young closer learning the ropes. 

I think that a major league manager and GM have to try to predict when a guy is going to fail and protect the team from it.  Look at Danny Wright.  There's no reason we had to let this guy get us 19 straight losses before we figured out he can't pitch in the majors.  I would hope that Ozzie and Kenny can look at his stuff and tell he can't make it - not just wait until he loses and loses and loses and loses.... :bang

Is it really 19 in a row? Damn. What took them so long?

As I said earlier in this thread, Billy "Goat" Koch doesn't seem to be able to get things kicked into gear or focus until his butt is in the fire.  Apparently, he's always been that way to some extent.

a Loser's Syndrom.

Danny Wright was the same way. Pitches like s***, gives up a 3-run homer. Then, uncorks a beautiful curve on the next batter and then puts him away with a well-spotted, well-disguised change-up.

And meanwhile you're like, "Where the f*** WAS that stuff when you had Catalonato at 1-2 and could have made him look foolish with either of those pitches you just threw....instead of laying a 3-run homer meatball middle of the plate???!!"

Between the ears stuff. People talk about it as though it's the easist thing in the world to fix, whereas in reality it's often the HARDEST thing to fix.

a Loser's Syndrom.

Danny Wright was the same way.    Pitches like s***, gives up a 3-run homer. Then, uncorks a beautiful curve on the next batter and then puts him away with a well-spotted, well-disguised change-up. 

And meanwhile you're like, "Where the f*** WAS that stuff when you had Catalonato at 1-2 and could have made him look foolish with either of those pitches you just threw....instead of laying a 3-run homer meatball middle of the plate???!!"

Between the ears stuff.  People talk about it as though it's the easist thing in the world to fix, whereas in reality it's often the HARDEST thing to fix.

Very good post, quite true in regards to Danny.

No, its the heat. To a major league hitter, having all that extra time to see the pitch, will eventually catch up to Zero. Plus remember this is a guy whose best years are behind him. He isn't a 27 year old.

That might expain the success of Keith Foulke and Trevor Hoffman to say nothing of that Asian dude in San Siego.... :rolleyes: