Minor Leaguers

LDF

Cotts will be a solid major league pitcher one day, but pitching at ISU is totally different, and yea, his numbers were great there. He was taken as a non-roster invitee to get a good look along with Josh Stewart, because both of these guys seem to resemble Mark Buerhle. Bullard might be one of my top choices to come out of nowhere though. If I had to choose a *suprise* minor leaguer to come up it would be Micah Shnurstein. In case you don't already know, he was drafted in the 6th round, which to be totally honest isn't all that high of a draft pick, considering how many players actually make it to the majors. He's got a good short swing and can really hit for average. He's got decent power, and with a little time to mature, could end up being a big time hitter. The only problem, is he plays at the hot corner, which is occupied by Joe Crede, and he isn't going anywhere. But hopefully Schnurstein will get a good look at AA this season, and maybe get some playing time in Charlotte.

Guest hotsoxchick1

baggs ... you brown noser.....lol..........soxfanforever.. heather is a lifetime student.. she wont be graduating anytime soon.......lol..........

ok now whos going to come out of the minors and give us a boost???? hmm theres so many to choose from......my first vote is miles i love the guy.....id also like to see little durham do something outstanding this season.....and since guys like joe valentine and delvis lantuaga (sp?) are gone now i guess i dont have anyone else to be attached to yet......... :( ....... i know ill have to find a few new guys to watch this year ........i just dont know who to pick yet......... :huh:

baggs took my choice....asshole! ;)

Umm....how about A-Gonz? Andy Gonzalez...that'd be my choice...either him or, the obvious, Borchard.

I like to see how our AA and AAA teams are doing....but I'm not that big a follower of our A teams and our rookie league teams...I just know that I've heard many good things about Gonzalez and how he could be one of the better up and coming SS's in the minors.

Maybe Jeremy Reed, or Cerb's boy, Anthony Webster....those two could as well.

HeatherLee, do you still attend ISU?  I am a sophomore here right now and was wondering if you still go or have graduated.  Just wondered. :D

Yes, I am a junior here! I live in Watterson Towers. Only one more semester left here and then I return home for student teaching in Spring 2004!!! :headbang

And hsc...Ummm, "lifetime student?" What the hell are you talking about? I graduated high school when I was supposed to graduate, got to college immediately after, and am now 21, and a second-semester junior. In May 2004, I will be graduating (on time, mind you). Lifetime student? Far from one!

baggs ... you brown noser.....lol..........soxfanforever.. heather is a lifetime student.. she wont be graduating anytime soon.......lol..........

ok now whos going to come out of the minors and give us a boost???? hmm theres so many to choose from......my first vote is miles i love the guy.....id also like to see little durham do something outstanding this season.....and since guys like joe valentine and delvis lantuaga (sp?) are gone now i guess i dont have anyone else to be attached to yet......... :( ....... i know ill have to find a few new guys to watch this year ........i just dont know who to pick yet......... :huh:

you caught that one huh HSC??? :lol: ...i dont know who will be the surprise...thats why they are a surprise..if we can guess who..then they arnt a surprise anymore :huh:

Heather is also a fellow "ref" with me at Blackhawkzone.com, a great site for Hawks fans.

Minor league surprises ... I like Micah Schnurstein too, but no way will he play in AA or Charlotte this year, he's only 18. He's looking at Bristol, advanced rookie ball.

I think Anthony Webster will really be a player, he came on strong last year and really improved his plate discipline, which wasn't all that bad to begin with. He's ticketed for Kannapolis and could be the long-term solution in center field if he continues to progress. He's a speed merchant, strong, although his power hasn't developed yet. Plus he has shown the ability to work pitchers late into the count and appears to be a natural hitter. He'll be turning 20 in April, so he's quite young yet.

The other guy in the low minors who looks very promising is Pedro Lopez. This is a guy who signed from the Sox's Dominican Academy. He's a 2nd baseman who has all the tools ... speed, range, hit for average, etc. He'll be turning 19 this year so I'm guessing Kannapolis.

As far as guys ready to contribute at the major league level who might be surprises ... lots of these guys have been talked about already ... Munoz, David Sanders, Borchard. I'd really like to see Brian West have a breakout year, he's been climbing one step at a time and is ticketed for Birmingham or maybe even Charlotte. He's really a big guy and he's been making progress learning how to pitch, how to put away hitters, etc.

If he straightens out his control problems, Corwin Malone could provide a big lift. He can really fire it, and he's left-handed.

If we are talking surprise, coming out of nowhere (to have a great Joe Valentine type year) I would say Corwin Malone rebounds very well this year.

Also look out for Edwin Yan, the kid is only 20 and faster than anybody in the Sox organization. A slick fielding two bagger and once he gains some patience at the plate he will be fine.

But I cant leave out my favorite: The Ringer

I'm gonna toss out Heath Phillips. His record was deceving last year and the Hoover Met is a great pitcher's park.

I don't think Mr. Bullard can come "out of nowhere" and become a surprise since he is well-known now. Unless of course Jim, you put it all together this year, pass up Malone, Stewart and company and make it to the Big Leagues this year. Beyond that, I think you have made it past the point of being labeled as a surprise.

Success comes at a price, doesn't it. :D

HeatherLee, my best wishes to the Redbird baseball program this year. I know your new coaches very well.

HeatherLee, my best wishes to the Redbird baseball program this year.  I know your new coaches very well.

Awww, thanks! The baseball team is the only team here at ISU that I even care about anymore (getting that graduation syndrome a year early, I guess). It's hard to see Coach Jeft Stewart go like that, but I've heard a lot of good stuff about our new head coach, who is "stepping up" from Evansville. I think they are going to impress people this year with Kevin O'dell in CF and Greg Blaesing at catcher as two leaders! We WILL miss Mike Saunches, who opted out of his senior year in favor of accepting a minor league contract with the Yankees.

What do you know about our new coach?

I know him and his son Tim (his Asst.) very well.

He is a no BS kind of guy. He'll make them work hard and get on their ass. There will be days the players don't like him.

But he will work his ass off and that is his alma mater. He wants to get to Omaha and even though he was very successful at UE, he felt he had a better shot at ISU.

An interesting tidbit, Kris Honel's father was Coach Brownlee's assistant at UE for a year or two. Honel considered going to Evansville before choosing Arizona State and then ultimately signing with the Sox.

Anything else you want to know, just ask.

HeatherLee, my best wishes to the Redbird baseball program this year.  I know your new coaches very well.

Awww, thanks! The baseball team is the only team here at ISU that I even care about anymore (getting that graduation syndrome a year early, I guess). It's hard to see Coach Jeft Stewart go like that, but I've heard a lot of good stuff about our new head coach, who is "stepping up" from Evansville. I think they are going to impress people this year with Kevin O'dell in CF and Greg Blaesing at catcher as two leaders! We WILL miss Mike Saunches, who opted out of his senior year in favor of accepting a minor league contract with the Yankees.

What do you know about our new coach?

Evansville has a pretty good baseball program. I hate to say it, but I think he's stepping down to a situation where he hopes to build up a big time program because ISU is a larger school with more revenue etc. I think he believes he can turn it into a big time program.

He's a pretty good coach though. Of course, they'll never be like Cal State Fullerton :headbang

ISU needs to do something to snatch some of those top HS recruits. My friend Blake Chervinko will be pitching there this summer! He's a righty who throws mid-eightees, with a natural sinking fastball and an excellent curveball. I hope he does well.

Coach Brownlee thinks he can get more kids from the Chicago area to ISU (although he did well with them at UE) and that there will be more of a commitment to the program financially.

There had been a lot of recent changes at Evansville, so it seemed like a good time to jump to his alma mater.