So I finally made it to the Cell

Rex Kickass

Made it to the doubleheader on Saturday... and I had a blast. Always good to see the Sox play, but there are a few things that bugged me. I understand the security issues, but the Cell does kind of have a lockdown atmosphere lately. The not being able to enter the main 100 level concourse has gotta be a bummer to the casual fan who paid the 16 dollars for his Saturday Upper Deck ticket. Part of what I love about going to see a game is getting to walk around the park - not being able to access a good half of the park because of this rule is a bit obnoxious.

Is this really fan friendly? A family of four going to a game on a Saturday in April or early May is spending 64 dollars for Upper Deck seats. Plus 16 dollars for parking. Hot Dog and a coke each - another 30 dollars. And you can't access over half the park. If I was a casual fan, I'd go without the expense and mess to be honest. I hope the new marketing folks realize what a mistake that is.

Not to hammer the point again but a little perspective here. The Pistons are in the NBA playoffs. Cheap seats for the Palace are still around 10 bucks from the Ticket Window

Made it to the doubleheader on Saturday... and I had a blast. Always good to see the Sox play, but there are a few things that bugged me. I understand the security issues, but the Cell does kind of have a lockdown atmosphere lately. The not being able to enter the main 100 level concourse has gotta be a bummer to the casual fan who paid the 16 dollars for his Saturday Upper Deck ticket. Part of what I love about going to see a game is getting to walk around the park - not being able to access a good half of the park because of this rule is a bit obnoxious.

Is this really fan friendly? A family of four going to a game on a Saturday in April or early May is spending 64 dollars for Upper Deck seats. Plus 16 dollars for parking. Hot Dog and a coke each - another 30 dollars. And you can't access over half the park. If I was a casual fan, I'd go without the expense and mess to be honest. I hope the new marketing folks realize what a mistake that is.

Not to hammer the point again but a little perspective here. The Pistons are in the NBA playoffs. Cheap seats for the Palace are still around 10 bucks from the Ticket Window

That's because the NBA in an effort to woe back fans after their strike several years ago, require each team to make available a certain amount of $10 seats. There are several alternatives, the Monday and Tuesday half price night, you can usually get Sox tickets below face on ebay, and the scalpers on 35th usually give you a decent price. Several Sundays are kids days, where kids tickets are $1.Someone also posted that those booklets with the buy one get one free coupons will be returning soon. Cost of going to any professional sporting event is getting outrageous, and don't think the owners don't know that.

Is the rule regarding banning people with upper deck tickets from the lower deck fan friendly? That's a question that has been debated at length. The problem is the idiots that went on the field to attack a coach and an umpire all were holding upper deck tickets. MLB advised the White Sox to adopt this policy, their hands were pretty much tied. This policy has been in effect on several occassions before last season, usually when they were expecting a full house. One solution could be selling standing room on the outfield concourse tickets, maybe just making them available the day of the game, which would entitle the fan to access the lower deck but not sit there.

The lockdown is obviously due to the two assault cases, but I too agree that the rule is a bit strict. We used to be season ticket holders in the Club Level and got hassled when trying to enter the main concourse. After about 5 minutes of arguing with the usher, he let us in.

That brings up a question. Now we are season ticket holders in the lower level. Are we allowed occasional access to the Club Level?

The not being able to enter the main 100 level concourse has gotta be a bummer to the casual fan who paid the 16 dollars for his Saturday Upper Deck ticket. Part of what I love about going to see a game is getting to walk around the park - not being able to access a good half of the park because of this rule is a bit obnoxious.

I totally agree, half the fun of the game is getting balls and autographs before the game, not allowing this really upsets me. I am sure it would upset the casual fan too. Especially since i cannot always aford lower deck seats this i know defers me from making it down to the park. so in my opinion, it has to go! :snr

I totally agree, half the fun of the game is getting balls and autographs before the game, not allowing this really upsets me. I am sure it would upset the casual fan too. Especially since i cannot always aford lower deck seats this i know defers me from making it down to the park. so in my opinion, it has to go! :snr

Welcome.

Yeah it sucks that you can only enter the 100 level with 100 level tix. I always buy upper deck tix unless its pepsi half price tues. I have gone to 4 games so far and I have been lucky to be able to run into an easy going ticket-checker person that let me go into the 100 level with upper deck tix. It really is unfortunate that all people arent allowed into the 100 level because thats where all the fun is and thats where my fav italian beef place is, up by center field.

What do you expect? USCF prices are bulls***. The rates are s*** too. Food is good. The stadium club prices are bulls***. 168.00 for a dinner for 4 ppl? Blah

Its fine to limit access to small areas of the park for people paying way too much money to see a game. That's different. If they want security, bring back the damn Andy Frain ushers.

Could not agree more. If stadium management doesn't want UD freeloaders in 100 level seats the solution is to either have the ushers on duty DO THEIR JOBS or get more ushers. I kkep hearing this is an MLB policy, but it sounds like they had a say in whether they would adopt it outright or just for sellout games.

As far as offering some value for casual fans, watching the Baltimore broadcast of yesterday's game (WCIU blackout for Extra Innings people :fyou ) I saw a commercial wiith an insanely good deal at Camden. $44 on Wednesdays gets you 4 UD seats, 4 Orioles caps, and a program! There's a similar family package deal they do here for Rays games where the kids tix come with hats and you get a cupon for a free pizza.

I think the Sox are doing a GREAT job with half price Mondays, Pepsi Tuesdays, and Wonka Kids Days, btw. Exactly the way to do it. But if they are going to keep the UD policy in place, they should consider some of the family packs like other parks, or random seat tradeup contests, or something like that.

:angry:

the club level is being changed into the la di da place to sit. No one with club tickers gets in there. It is really fine in there.

If I ever win the lottery, I am keeping my UD seats but I'll be geting club seats too.

ss2k4, if I change two words, it will never be said enough that it is remembered:

Once again, it isn't the Sox who came up with the 100 level policy. It was MLB mandating to the Sox after the KC debacle last year.

A family of four going to a game on a Saturday in April or early May is spending 64 dollars for Upper Deck seats. Plus 16 dollars for parking.

Join silver and black pack and get 6 free tickets for selected games.

Monday and Tuesday half price nights.

Sundays all kids $1.

And park and ride the el. When I come in from the suburbs where I stay with friends, we take the el.

Once again, it isn't the Sox who came up with the 100 level policy.  It was MLB leaning on the Sox after the KC debacle last year.

From the sound of the first interview I heard with Brooks Boyer, it sounded like that was one of the main things that he wanted to change, though it sounded like his hands were tied -- Just my interpretation of what i heard

Hawk or DJ asked him about the policy, and Brooks responeded "It's something we are looking at"

From the sound of the first interview I heard with Brooks Boyer, it sounded like that was one of the main things that he wanted to change, though it sounded like his hands were tied  -- Just my interpretation of what i heard

Hawk or DJ asked him about the policy, and Brooks responeded "It's something we are looking at"

In other words they are going to call MLB, get on their knees and beg. Hopefully it works out, because when there are 12,000 people in the part there is no need to confine the UDers.

What do you expect? USCF prices are bulls***. The rates are s*** too. Food is good. The stadium club prices are bulls***. 168.00 for a dinner for 4 ppl? Blah

Boy.. you sure are appreciative of all that your daddy's $$ buys you. He must be so proud of you.. :rolleyes:

And by the way.. the buffet in the SC is $29.99 per person which makes dinner for 4 $119.96. And for the food served, it's a very reasonable price.

Boy.. you sure are appreciative of all that your daddy's $$ buys you. He must be so proud of you..  :rolleyes:

And by the way.. the buffet in the SC is $29.99 per person which makes dinner for 4 $119.96. And for the food served, it's a very reasonable price.

Heck, you can spend $30 per person on JUNK food at the ballpark and not even bat an eye, so that's pretty good for "good" food.

Heck, you can spend $30 per person on JUNK food at the ballpark and not even bat an eye, so that's pretty good for "good" food.

"Good" food... ;)

On the menu last week that I remember was prime rib, BBQ ribs, roasted turkey breast, a couple different kinds of fish, inch thick pork chops, fried and broiled chichen, several different pasta's, shrimp, a few varities of potatoes, several veggies, 2 tables full of desserts (cookies, chocolate covered strawberries, etc..), fresh cut fruit.

That BUFFET is MORE than worth it's cost.