Anyone have jaw surgery?

Queen Prawn

My orthodontist told me that I have the option of having my jaw pushed forward. I guess they can push it forward or back depending on what the patient needs. I can figure how they push it back, but not certain about the forward part. :unsure:

The best I can figure is that they either put spacers in or what they were going to do in my brother's case (because of the severity of his jaw position) take leg bone and transfer it to his jaw. :o

Has anyone been through either? What was the side effects? Was there much pain afterwards? How long before you could go back to work?

I think I will need much of this :cheers if I do go through with this. I don't have to decide for awhile because I am getting braces on my top teeth in a couple weeks and he said it will be a few months before he is ready to work on the bottom teeth which is when I would have to decide. :unsure: :crying

Holy cow fan.. you're fallin apart there girl!! :lol:

No idea on jaw surgery..  but good luck with that.  :o

LOL!

I know what I went through with my wisdom teeth and if it is anything like that I am not sure I have the courage to go through something similar (or worse) again.

All the sites I find talk about whether you need it or not, but not how or the effects of the surgery. :angry:

Fan, I've been told by my dentist that I would have do something along those lines because if I don't my teeth will start to grind or something.

However, he said for whatever reason my teeth show absolutely no signs of grinding and because of it I may be the rare type that doesn't actually need to do it. I have no idea really what their talking about. All I know is my teeth don't fit tight when I close my mouth, some of them hit the wrong part of the lower teeth and vice versa or something.

Perfectly straight though, so I don't know. I never noticed it until it was brought up like a year ago at the dentist and since then he's never mentioned it. Although I got to get my damn wisdom teeth removed.