ESPN MLB Power Rankings for 4/29-5/5

CSF

MLB Power Rankings

14. White Sox

Pretty Nice Ratio: The White Sox have scored six more runs than their opponents (135-129) and have six more wins (16-10). Memo to Ozzie -- that ain't gonna last.

Cubs are 3rd, Yankees 6th, Red Sox 2nd. Peter Gammons must've spent all night doing these rankings. Insane. :rolleyes:

I don't really have a problem with this, although I think 14 is pretty low for a team just barely out of 1st place, especially considering this is how the Twins played for a long while.

Still, I am at least partially concerned at the bats failure to produce, especially in clutch situations, but at the same time, I'm pleasantly surprised with their ability to win the games in which they don't produce offensively; Something they failed to do during the Jerry Manuel tenure.

I think pretty quickly, we'll see this offense click. They've hit a ton of solo homers, but eventually those homers will be 2 and 3 run homers and we'll also see more clutch hits. These hitters are too good, at least most of them.

You know, when I first saw that, I was pissed, but after I thought about it, the Sox are barely beating some of the worst teams in the AL. The only good team they faced was going through probably their worst stretch of the season. I can't say they deserve to be ranked much higher, until they start playing some good teams. However, the Twins haven't had a much harder schedule, so who knows what's in the ESPN Kool-Aid.

these things are absolutely terrible this week.

Cubs in 3rd, Sox in 14th.

Let's look at this. One team is in first, the other isn't. That same team has a better record than the other, but is voted 11 places lower.

:fyou ESPN

Does somebody want to tell me how the Twins (2nd place behind Sox), Cubs (Second place in NL Central), A's (sub .500 record), Phillies (sub .500 record), and Red Sox (5 game skid) are rated ahead of the White Sox?

Give me all the we haven't hammered this, or we haven't played them you want...but the truest telling in baseball is the win loss record. The Sox have 16 wins, tied for second most in the majors and they are ranked below teams with a sub .500 record? :huh

I honestly don't care.

I've said these rankings mean jack s*** until June, and I meant it. Winning the close ones is necessary. On a related note, we're 10-1 in 1 run games.

I still think we are one ace or one real good LH power hitter away from being one of the best teams in the league. We get both, and I am feeling real f***ing good.

Bob, it's ESPN. This is also the network who is employing a so-called "baseball analyst" who says OBP is not important.

Bob, it's ESPN.  This is also the network who is employing a so-called "baseball analyst" who says OBP is not important.

You're right, but you'd think the 'most respected sports network' out there could get something as simple as this right. Sub .500 teams rated above a 1st place team? In the words of Ozzie, "Wow, I mean, wow."

:fyou ESPN, you over rated s*** bag network.

MLB Power Rankings

Cubs are 3rd, Yankees 6th, Red Sox 2nd.  Peter Gammons must've spent all night doing these rankings.  Insane.  :rolleyes:

While Gaqmmons is at it why doesn't he predict for us when he is going to stop polishing the collective knobs of the BoSox, Spankees and Flubbs.

The Flubs are 3rd??? They are one series away from totally imploding and they are 3rd? I guess Moises Alou pissed on his hands or something.

You know you yourself can make your own power rankings on the same site. I did as did others. According to the national poll made by other visitors from the site, the Sox are ranked 10th.

ESPN has always been anti-Sox. They're just a bunch of nimrods. I won't watch Baseball Tonight again until Gammons and Reynolds are canned.

CWSOX45

I remember at the end of last season Reynolds praised the sox and Carlos Lee and kept talkin about how Carlos is "his boy" when he was killing in the 2 spot. Then when we missed the playoffs he was like "Sox, how could you do this to me guys!???" maybe thats why he hates us.

Some of you guys take this stuff so personally. :rolleyes: The Sox have been favorites for 3 years running and haven't won anything. They were jumping on our bandwagon last year and then we tanked. I'd be very cautious about predicting success for the Sox this year if I were doing their jobs. Our record could easily be 10-17, rather than 17-10, with the way we've been playing.

The argument is why the sox are ranked so low given their record. Well, do most people honestly believe the Sox are one of the best 3 or 4 teams in baseball now? For example, can people honestly say they are better then the Yankees and A's and are more likely to win the WS then they are? Well, if not, then why use the rankings to indicate otherwise? I can hear it now - the only real important numbers are wins and losses, that alone is the goal, and getting wins is in itself what makes a good team or not. If that is true, then I have a question for you: why have power rankings at all? Why not just look at the standings?