Pat Tillman.........Hero?

NUKE_CLEVELAND

If anybody watched the funeral and the eulogy's ( No I didn't watch the whole thing, I caught some of it looking for the Sox game ) they would have caught the circumstances around his death.

A Navy Seal, who was in the same patrol, told of how he met his end. The convoy was ambushed by militants loyal to the taliban. The attackers were in an elevated position and shooting down upon the convoy. Cpl Tillman, in an effort to gain time for his fellow troops to find cover and return fire, charged up toward the enemy in an effort to draw their fire and possibly kill some of them and was shot down in the process.

For his actions that day he recieved the Silver Star and Purple Heart medals.

Now. In light of this coming out does anybody here still think that Pat Tillman is no more a hero than others who died in the war?

Yes.

For giving up a pro football career for military service, he was as much a hero as everyone else who signs up. I don't care if the person gives up $4 an hour at Burger King, to defend our country, it is just as heroic. I believe that is the point Tillman was making by avoiding the media spotlight.

Hero....

Per what definition?

And before I get jumped on.. what he did was awesome.. but no more awesome than anyone else who risks their lives for our freedoms. Brave. Courageous. To be admired. A role model (perhaps...). I'd agree with those. But "hero"...? More a hero than the doctor that just saved a life.. or delivered a baby.. or the police officer that took a bullet.. or a fireman that got 3rd degree burns over 70% of his body saving someone from a fire..?

The guy deserves props... but national television coverage? :huh

By the way.. did anyone see the services for the fireman that was killed in route to the fire last week when the fire trucks crashed into each other? He was buried over here in Hillside.. they shut down Mannheim and Roosevelt for the procession. We stood in the Wendy's parking lot to watch. Very emotional.

What about the other men and women that have died in Iraq and Afghanistan?  Are they heros?  If so, why is it that all they get are a few words on their local news?  :huh

Because they are not famous. I don't know why this is a difficult concept for some people to grasp.

He's a hero just like everyone else in the miilitary and everyone that risks their lives for someone else. Is it unfair that Tillman is getting more coverage than all the hundreds of others killed? Maybe. But you know what, I look at his coverage as a tribute to everyone serving their country. Because of him, the media is covering his death...the media is reminding people that there are still people dying...the people aren't just nobodys, they're our heroes...the media coverage is reminding all of us to remember that there is still fighting and that we shouldn't forget that people are still dying to help us...So in that view, I hope the coverage never stops. :usa

Because they are not famous.  I don't know why this is a difficult concept for some people to grasp.

I'm a football fan, probably more so than baseball and I hadn't heard of Pat Tillman before this. He derserves the Silver Star and Purple Heart and what he did to save his fellow Rangers was brave, unselfish and heroic but no more so than any other person in the military serving our country. Everyone in the military is there by choice so they have all given up something.

I think this puts into perspective that we place our sports figures way too high on a pedestal. At least, that's what I think.

Because they are not famous.  I don't know why this is a difficult concept for some people to grasp.

That's a nice thought. So the others that have died are less important because they weren't famous before entering the service.

That's a nice thought.  So the others that have died are less important because they weren't famous before entering the service.

No, but the American public has a fascination with celebrities. Also, people know Pat Tillman. Most people dont know someone who died in Iraq or Afghanistan. What those people did was no less important than Tillman. However, given Tillman's celebrity status, a lot of people know of him. Also, the memoial was on ESPN. ESPN is a sports network. When someone in sports dies, that is what they do. I have no problem with all the coverage Tillman got there. As for the regualr channels, ya maybe he got too much since yes he is just like everyone else. But another thing, how many people would give up a multi-million dollar job and a life of luxury playing a game to volunteer for the army? Almost no one. The person making 5 dollars an hour may have given up just as much, but put yourself in Tillman's shoes, would you have done what he did if you were him? Also, i'd rather see a special report on Tillman than Jessica Lynch. So, this is not the first time the media has done this. After all, ratings are very important

FYI - that post I made is mostly a generalization, not towards anyone inparticular. I just don't happen to agree that Tillman derserved so much publicity because he was an athlete and/or turned down a big salary to be in the service. A life lost is a life lost, regardless of fame. Yeah, I guess I am simplistic and unrealistic about this, but so be it.

I'm a football fan, probably more so than baseball and I hadn't heard of Pat Tillman before this.  He derserves the Silver Star and Purple Heart and what he did to save his fellow Rangers was brave, unselfish and heroic but no more so than any other person in the military serving our country.  Everyone in the military is there by choice so they have all given up something.

I think this puts into perspective that we place our sports figures way too high on a pedestal.  At least, that's what I think.

What did he do..?

Alright well Sonix gets it, that's reassuring.

I never said Tillman was more of a hero than any other soldier who has died in battle. More media coverage does not equal more heroic.

That said, he got media coverage from ESPN and when athletes die, ESPN is interested, as are sports fans. ESPN is a business also, and they do everything in the best interest of their networks. It was more beneficial for them to show the memorial service than not.

Ideally, every soldier would get equal attention and recognition for what they do for our country, but what should be and what is are not always on the same plane.

It is the same with anything though. When Princess Diana died, there was days and days of media coverage. Yeah, she was a good person but the main reason was that she was famous. There are a lot of great non-famous people who die every day and they don't even get mentioned on the news, nevermind live, on-the-scene coverage. Should people be bitter about that? No, not if they understand what the media is and the purpose that it serves.

I look up to someone like Pat Tillman. People keep mentioning the 3.5 mil in the news...and then all the "every soldier is equal" people say...I don't care about 3.5 million it's the same as if he worked at a fast food place. Well in my eyes, it isn't the same at all. Some people join the army cause they want the education benefits. Some people join to get their life on track. Some people join to get out of their neighborhood. Some join to learn a trade. Some people believe in defending our country. People like Pat Tillman have to be in the smallest of smallest percentages. In fact he may be one of a kind. A 26 year old multi-millionaire, playing football for a living and recently married. I'm sorry people...THAT IS different from the 18 yr old kid getting out of high school saying "uh I dunno, I guess I can join the army" My cousin is an Iraq right now and God bless him, but I know the difference between his situation and Pat's. They are NOT the same. He knows they are not the same. Most people join the forces to get something back, Tillman joined to put something in. Boys join to learn how to become men. Tillman was a man that joined to become a warrior.

I think the reason a lot of us feel the way we do about Tillman is, he did something that most of us couldn't and wouldn't do and he did it with such humility. It's something to be admired for.

People have to get over the fact that just cause you praise one person it doesn't mean you don't care about others....nobody is saying his life means more, but IMO he did give up more. I think about what he sacrificed and it kinda makes me feel like I'm being selfish for not wanting to do the same thing.

Everything in this world isn't equal. That's just the way it is...and those of you that are trying to make it that way are wrong. Tillman's story is pretty unique. Unique stories get media coverage. Tillman didn't ask for it, but he was an extraordinary person and I'm glad his story is out there. He is a Hero. :usa

I look up to someone like Pat Tillman.  People keep mentioning the 3.5 mil in the news...and then all the "every soldier is equal" people say...I don't care about 3.5 million it's the same as if he worked at a fast food place.  Well in my eyes, it isn't the same at all.  Some people join the army cause they want the education benefits.  Some people join to get their life on track.  Some people join to get out of their neighborhood.  Some join to learn a trade.  Some people believe in defending our country.  People like Pat Tillman have to be in the smallest of smallest percentages.  In fact he may be one of a kind. A 26 year old multi-millionaire, playing football for a living and recently married.  I'm sorry people...THAT IS different from the 18 yr old kid getting out of high school saying "uh I dunno, I guess I can join the army"  My cousin is an Iraq right now and God bless him, but I know the difference between his situation and Pat's.    They are NOT the same.  He knows they are not the same.  Most people join the forces to get something back, Tillman joined to put something in.  Boys join to learn how to become men.  Tillman was a man that joined to become a warrior.

I think the reason a lot of us feel the way we do about Tillman is, he did something that most of us couldn't and wouldn't do and he did it with such humility.  It's something to be admired for.

People have to get over the fact that just cause you praise one person it doesn't mean you don't care about others....nobody is saying his life means more, but  IMO he did give up more.  I think about what he sacrificed and it kinda makes me feel like I'm being selfish for not wanting to do the same thing.

Everything in this world isn't equal.  That's just the way it is...and those of you that are trying to make it that way are wrong. Tillman's story is pretty unique.  Unique stories get media coverage. Tillman didn't ask for it, but he was an extraordinary person and I'm glad his story is out there.  He is a Hero.  :usa

Well said :notworthy . In my opionion everyone who joins the military is a hero even though they all have different reasons for joining.