Koch's Statement

The Beast

Quotes...

"It's pathetic, That's a pathetic showing. It's not fair to the 24 guys in this room or the coaching staff or the fans of Chicago."

"There's absolutely no reason in the world I should walk those guys," Koch said. "Let them put the ball in play and get themselves out."

"I apologize to everyone out there," Koch said. "It's not fair to have to bite your nails down to a bloody stump watching me pitch."

he is getting the saves and is very aware he has a problem so its fine by me

He's gotten the last two saves only because he had a couple-run cushion, but I agree that it's important to see he acknowledges there is a problem and will presumably work taht much harder to step it up a notch.

He's gotten the last two saves only because he had a couple-run cushion, but I agree that it's important to see he acknowledges there is a problem and will presumably work taht much harder to step it up a notch.

I wouldn't automatically say...if we didn't have the couple run cushion that they would have been Losses. I think Koch pitches different in different situations and it's all mental with him. So if we were only up 1 he might pitch different then when we're up 3. He needs to get his mind set straight and attack every batter like the tying run is on 3rd base with 0 outs....whether we have a 1 run or 5 run lead.

It's also not his fault he keeps being handed the ball. It makes sense to keep him up here, but I think he should only be used when we can afford to give up a few runs. But he does seem to be able to REALLY lock it down when he needs to. I also respect the heck out of the fact that the guy has never danced around what is his problem. He doesn't blame anybody else, and I would lay money on it that it a HUGE part of the reason he is not being given up on. He seems like a cool cat and he also shows a passion that not many others do. I like him, but I don't want to watch him, he gives me a queezy feeling on that mound! :D :lol:

I watched both the Monday and Wednesday games on ESPN. Billy pitched both games and as he said had everyone biting their fingernails. My wife kept asking during the Wed game why the devil Ozzie didn't take Koch out of the game.

I think that once Billy settled down he made some quality pitches and looked pretty good, but with this guy it all seems to be rhythm, motion and body position and when something isn't quite right he struggles. Last night Alomar Jr. said Koch was moving his head (or something similar to that). I want this guy to make it as our closer. I really admire his competiveness and he isn't one to make excuses as he puts the blame for his struggles right on his own shoulders where they belong, but often you see players make excuses. We know he has the talent, but the ESPN guys (Brantley especially) said he thinks that Koch's confidence is shot and he needs to have that built up more than anything. I also think he was getting squeezed as a couple of pitches that looked like strikes weren't called. Brantley even said this, but then said that when you are struggling with consistency you won't get that one call when you need it or think you should have it.

I also liked the fact the other players on the Sox support him and their other teammies the way they do. I think they have come together as a group and I like our chances a lot.

Last night Alomar Jr. said Koch was moving his head (or something similar to that).

Everytime im at a Sox game and i see koch throwing in the bullpen, he always seems to shake his head quickly as soon as he releases the ball. I dont know if thats the same thing hes talking about though.

Everytime im at a Sox game and i see koch throwing in the bullpen, he always seems to shake his head quickly as soon as he releases the ball.  I dont know if thats the same thing hes talking about though.

Me either. I have the game on video and I'll try and watch it again, if I can survive it, and look closely at that supposed head movement. I am wondering if he doen't mean that he kind of jerks it off to one side or something?

Same s*** he's been saying for 2 years.....I'm no good, sorry.  Yet we maintain this charade that he's a major league closer. :rolleyes:

I'm maintaining nothing.

I love the guy's attitude. He seems like a class act and works his ass off.

But last time I checked, a good attitude didn't win a World Series, let alone save a baseball game. A good attitude can do nothing but help, but it will not necessarily get the job done.

He's just trying to win the fans over anyway he can. We know we think he sucks, but the fact is that this is the way he gets it done.

It might be a matter of us getting used to it, or the Sox getting rid of him.

I'm maintaining nothing.

I love the guy's attitude.  He seems like a class act and works his ass off. 

But last time I checked, a good attitude didn't win a World Series, let alone save a baseball game.  A good attitude can do nothing but help, but it will not necessarily get the job done.

True...I really feel for him. He really wants to help this team, but he's just not all there anymore. However, he is still getting the job done; that's all I ask.

As long as Botch doesn't botch anymore games for a while, I could care less about his postgame comments.

Ozzie better have the whip ready for when he does botch another though... :whip

Like I've said bf, we could had hav worse closers for our team. Matt Mantei's lost his job closing in Arizona, Justin Speier in Toronto and David Riske in Cleveland. Most teams are having bullpen problems, so we're not alone. Koch is startin to worry me a little with the amount of BB's he givin up in his past few outings.

Like I've said bf, we could had hav worse closers for our team. Matt Mantei's lost his job closing in Arizona, Justin Speier in Toronto and David Riske in Cleveland. Most teams are having bullpen problems, so we're not alone. Koch is startin to worry me a little with the amount of BB's he givin up in his past few outings.

I agree, I've got no problem if the guy gets flat out beat on good pitches, but the BP fastballs and walks are uncalled for and not acceptable.

I am one of the few who really believes that Koch will be a good closer once again. I know his performances in Baltimore were less than impressive, but on Sunday he came in with a one run lead and was very solid. He picks up the saves any way he can, and has only blown one save all this year. I say let him pitch.

Aboz im not seeing the BP Fastball anymore

I havent really seen him get hit that hard so far... you can tell a diff from last year but yes hes been erratic still..

I dont care as long as the man gets the save, and if he keeps improving then ill be even happier