5/9 Games

danman31

Charlotte killed Louisville 10-2. Bryant Nelson does remember how he started off so hot! He went 3-6, a HR short of a cycle. Jeremy Reed went 1-3 with 3 walks. That's great to see. Kelly Dransfeldt went 3-5 with a HR. Ryan Hankins went 4-5 with a double and a HR. Mario Valenzuela had 2 HRs. Mike Bell and Bobby Smith added 2 hits each. Every Knight reached base. Jason Grilli went 5 innings only giving up 1 hit and 2 runs. He also gave up 8 walks, wow. Felix Diaz pitched out of the bullpen giving up 2 hits and a walk while getting 1 K in .2 IP. :unsure: Courtney Duncan was very solid to close the game. 3.1 IP, 1 K, 1 hit, 0 BB. Box Score to a very interesting game

Grilli was fortunate not to get bombed today, as he looked bad today all day...Not much more to say about the game, I left about half way throught because I wasn't feeling well.

Guest JimH

Odd that Diaz would pitch out of the bullpen.

Maybe they're trying to get him some work, in case he gets called up.

I'd have to say it's him or Munoz.

Odd that Diaz would pitch out of the bullpen.

Maybe they're trying to get him some work, in case he gets called up.

I'd have to say it's him or Munoz.

Sounds like they may be trying to get him onto a certain schedule. Watch his next appearance. My guess is it is a start and right on schedule for when the Sox will need a 5th starter again.

Sounds like they may be trying to get him onto a certain schedule.  Watch his next appearance.  My guess is it is a start and right on schedule for when the Sox will need a 5th starter again.

It's tomorrow...and the Sox need a 5th starter on Saturday...looks like he's going up if you ask me.

Exactly.  Unless Diaz loses everything, it looks like he will make his ML debut Saturday against the Twins....  That is kinda scary.

I got a chance to talk to Kelly yesterday and he likes what he's seen out of Felix and thinks he can get the job done from what I took from our conversation...I think Diaz has earned his shot, I just hope it's not too tough of a spot for him to step into.

Birmingham lost 3-2. Yan, Morse, and Blakely each had 2 hits. Yofu got the start. Box Score

The Hogs lost 5-2. Sweeney 1-5, Anderson 0-4, Nanita 1-4 with a triple. Sean Tracey left the game after only facing 3 batters. Box score

Tracey actually faced five batters, walking two and hitting three. Hudson came in and saved his arse.

Tracey actually faced five batters, walking two and hitting three.  Hudson came in and saved his arse.

Did he get tossed by the umpire or pulled by the manager? Just wondering because after hitting 3 players in one inning the umpire might have taken into consideration the health of the other team.

BMac pitched well in a losing effort for Kanny. In a rain shortened game Brandon went the full 7 innings. He k'd 2, walked 3, and gave up 8 hits. Not his best work but that's still a pretty damn good start. The Intimidators only managed 2 hits, one of which was a Clint King HR. Box score

I see Anderson couldn't keep his hittin streak goin. Grilli must be under the pump at Charlotte, personally I think it should ne him and not Rauch who's moved into the pen. Diaz or Munoz, it'll be one of those for 2 for sure. :o

Exactly.  Unless Diaz loses everything, it looks like he will make his ML debut Saturday against the Twins....  That is kinda scary.

I hope he does start Saturday.

1) I wanna see what this guy can do.

2) Maybe he can provide some sort of spark (ala Dontrelle Willis, not saying he's Dontrelle but ya never know)

3) Who the hell else deserves it?

I hope he does start Saturday.

1) I wanna see what this guy can do.

2) Maybe he can provide some sort of spark (ala Dontrelle Willis, not saying he's Dontrelle but ya never know)

3) Who the hell else deserves it?

I just get the Neal Cotts flashbacks, everytime I think of a rookie starting in a game like that.

I just get the Neal Cotts flashbacks, everytime I think of a rookie starting in a game like that.

True, but pitching in Yankee Stadium in September is differnt than pitching in front of a home crowd in May.

Not saying he will pitch a gem or anything but I am hoping Diaz would have an easier go of it.

Knights wrap for ya from yesterday:

http://www.courier-journal.com/cjsports/ne...s0510-7423.html

"The series will continue at 7:15 tonight. Felix Diaz, who leads the Knights with a 5-0 record and 1.86 ERA, was scheduled to start for Charlotte but entered yesterday's game in the sixth. He likely will join the Chicago White Sox this week.

In Diaz's place, Oldham County High School product Jon Rauch (3-2, 3.21) will start. The Bats will counter with Bubba Nelson (0-4, 6.57). "

Guest JimH
I have always thought Valenzuela was a stud. Probably has something to do with his showing at ST a couple years back. What are his season stats?

All the updated stats are always available at Baseball America, but here is some info on Mario Valenzuela.

He's 27, so he is not a blue chip prospect, although the Sox have always liked him.

Last spring or maybe it was 2002, he tore up his elbow which required season ending surgery. His best position is RF so there is a road block by the name of Magglio Ordonez in his path.

Valenzuela has average tools across the board, nothing outstanding in any area.

His swing is a little long and he tends to strike out quite a bit.

In my opinion, he is a career AAA guy. Nonetheless, a decent player to have around for organizational depth.

I've met him a couple of times in Tucson, he's very nice, outgoing, and personable.

So it's no surprise the Sox have kept him around for this long. He seems like a good guy to have in case of emergency.