How good does Griffey Jr. look now?

BobDylan

From what I recall, the White Sox were close to dealing for Griffey before he pulled up lame on his hammy in ST. Well, now how nice does his left handed bat look in the middle of our sputtering slow and righty dominated line-up?

What do you think the price on this guy is now? If he can stay healthy, maybe losing Magglio isn't so bad afterall.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I recall, the White Sox were close to dealing for Griffey before he pulled up lame on his hammy in ST.  Well, now how nice does his left handed bat look in the middle of our sputtering slow and righty dominated line-up?

What do you think the price on this guy is now? If he can stay healthy, maybe losing Magglio isn't so bad afterall.

Griffey looks great and I hope he can stay healthy...If we are unable to retain Magglio after the season (which is what I see happening), I would really like to see Griffey here and put into right field with Jeremy Reed taking over in centerfield.

By the way, I think the Griffey deal was mostly an April Fool's joke, but I do remember the year before the Reds did offer us Griffey straight up for Magglio, which KW apparently laughed at.

Griffey? No thanks. Too much money. Too fragile. Too old. And not that productive, quite frankly. Reds had no use for Kong, so the trade was a pipe dream either way.

I love it when people blame every hitting failure on uninterrupted RH'ers in the line-up.

I am sure it has nothing to do with Lee's, Konerko's, Crede's and Rowand's selfishness and stupidity.....Sox just don't have a LH bat, that it.

I-Rod-Cabrera-Lee-Lowell-Conine....I mean, Sosa-Alou-Ramirez.....man, just how DO they do it without Patterson breaking them up? It's a miracle.

:lol:

Griffey is currently hitting .241, and has missed time twice this already this season with injuries. The injuries are not going to go away. Considering he has about 5-7 years on his contract, and how tight the White Sox budget is, KW would have to be institutionalized if he traded for him.. He's still decent, just not much of an upgrade over Rowand, and may not be as good as Reed. If the Sox don't resign Magglio, there has to be better options for spending that money. There were rumors in one of the NY papers that the Sox are a definite wild card for Beltran even though his agent is Boras. They said that KC is going to definitely trade him by the deadline, unless they get into the race, and with Brian Anderson as their ace, that doesn't appear likely.

The White Sox couldn't afford Tom Gordon or Tony Graffinino or Carl Everett, what makes you think they can afford this stiff?

They will be affording someone after the season and it won't be Magglio Ordonez...

25 million is coming off the books next year with Maggs, Jose and Koch...

Let the speculation begin as to who lands here next year.

The White Sox couldn't afford Tom Gordon or Tony Graffinino or Carl Everett, what makes you think they can afford this stiff?

Read what I wrote. MOST OF HIS MONEY IS DEFERRED.

Not to mention you trade Lee and Konerko, that creates money space that doesn't really need to be created for Griffey. (Note: that doesn't mean I'm saying trade Konerko and Lee for Griffey.)

I'll say it again, the White Sox can afford Griffey.

25 million is coming off the books next year with Maggs, Jose and Koch...

What makes you think Jose will be gone after this year?

Don't hold your breath waiting for Willie to break out.

I betcha Manos is back for Kenny Lofton (2002-2003) money -- if only because losing Maggs and possibly Carlos and Loaiza, as prudent as both moves would be, is a PR nightmare.

Not to mention you trade Lee and Konerko, that creates money space that doesn't really need to be created for Griffey. (Note: that doesn't mean I'm saying trade Konerko and Lee for Griffey.)

Most of it is deferred, however what you still have to pay him is way more than the other 3 guys I mentioned. Plus its for a lot of years. JR would have to hire a nurse to wheel him up to the batters box in his wheelchair the last couple years of that contract. Who is going to take Konerko, making $8.5 million with a $500,000 kicker per season if he gets traded? Who will take Lee at the money KW gave him, without taking back similar or more money? The answer is nobody. KW has done some good things, but when he messes up, its usually huge.

Most of it is deferred, however what you still have to pay him is way more than the other 3 guys I mentioned. Plus its for a lot of years. JR would have to hire a nurse to wheel him up to the batters box in his wheelchair the last couple years of that contract. Who is going to take Konerko, making $8.5 million with a $500,000 kicker per season if he gets traded? Who will take Lee at the money KW gave him, without taking back similar or more money? The answer is nobody. KW has done some good things, but when he messes up, its usually huge.

He makes 9 million, with a lot of it deferred. Carlos Lee makes 6 million, with I assume none of it deferred.

There are teams that have interest in Carlos Lee. Seattle might be one of them, and LA could be another. Same with Konerko, and same teams. Not to mention both of those teams can afford those players.

With what the Sox plans look to be, Griffey would be a much welcomed addition into our line-up.

He makes 9 million, with a lot of it deferred. Carlos Lee makes 6 million, with I assume none of it deferred.

There are teams that have interest in Carlos Lee. Seattle might be one of them, and LA could be another. Same with Konerko, and same teams. Not to mention both of those teams can afford those players.

With what the Sox plans look to be, Griffey would be a much welcomed addition into our line-up.

Funny you're looking at 2004. How about you look at 2006-2009 and then all the subsequent seasons when the deferred moneys would have to be paid back, and as such will techinically be on the payroll?

The way Lee is hitting right now, NOBODY wants a part of his 15 Mill over 2 years. This isn't 2001 anymore.

Paul Konerko has NO value, especially to a NL teams. Wake up, Dodgers are laughing at ys for suggesting a Perez-for-Konerko deal.

Griffey is nothing special anymore. He is also the most injury plagued player in baseball, bar none. White Sox need starting pitching and a closer, not an overrayed, aging free-swinger player with a GIGANTIC LONG-TERM CONTRACT

Funny you're looking at 2004.    How about you look at 2006-2009 and then all the subsequent seasons when the deferred moneys would have to be paid back, and as such will techinically be on the payroll?

The way Lee is hitting right now, NOBODY wants a part of his 15 Mill over 2 years. This isn't 2001 anymore.

Paul Konerko has NO value, especially to a NL teams. Wake up, Dodgers are laughing at ys for suggesting a Perez-for-Konerko deal.

Griffey is nothing special anymore. He is also the most injury plagued player in baseball, bar none. White Sox need starting pitching and a closer, not an overrayed, aging free-swinger player with a GIGANTIC LONG-TERM CONTRACT

We haven't won since 1917...f*** 2006-2009.

Future this, future that. I'm tired of it. I don't care what problems Griffey gives us in the future, if he can put us closer to a championship, he's worth everything.

Griffey? No thanks.  Too much money.  Too fragile.  Too old.  And not that productive, quite frankly. Reds had no use for Kong, so the trade was a pipe dream either way.

I love it when people blame every hitting failure on uninterrupted RH'ers in the line-up. 

I am sure it has nothing to do with Lee's, Konerko's, Crede's and Rowand's selfishness and stupidity.....Sox just don't have a LH bat, that it. 

I-Rod-Cabrera-Lee-Lowell-Conine....I mean, Sosa-Alou-Ramirez.....man, just how DO they do it without Patterson breaking them up?  It's a miracle.

:lol:

Those two teams also have incredibly good starting pitching. Beckett-Penny-Willis with Pavano as the #4? Hell, Pavano would be a f***ing 2 or 3 in our mediocre staff(what's even sadder is that we have the best rotation in our division). The Cubs don't have Prior, and they STILL have a top 5 staff in the majors. We do not have that luxury.

The LH s*** would be used in the playoffs. Have the opposing manager bring in a LHP to face the lefty, and then he is faced with either bringing in another RHP to pitch to the righty coming up, or hope that, if he keeps the LHP in there, that he doesn't throw a meat pitch, and that if he does, the righty doesn't hit it 500 feet.

Not a huge advantage, but it is an advantage nonetheless.

I still thinks Seattle gets desperate and makes a move for Griffey Jr. to spark their lineup, the Reds could get Garcia in that deal.  ;)

I hope your wrong. I want both of those players...and I don't see Seattle wanting Griffey with the record they currently have, the age they currently are, and in the division they currently are in.

We haven't won since 1917...f*** 2006-2009.

Future this, future that. I'm tired of it. I don't care what problems Griffey gives us in the future, if he can put us closer to a championship, he's worth everything.

No, not f*** 2006-2009. This is a POS division that could and should be dominated by us for many years to come. Being short-signed and impulsive has led to the 86-year drought in the first place.

And it's not as if we're not talking about getting Bonds or Prior here. We're talking about an aging, brittle SHELL of his former self with a long-ass contract. Junior is exactly the type of free swinger who gets exploited by Pedro, Shilling, Brown, Hudson, Mulder and Vasquez in the playoffs. I still remember how helpless Andruw-Sheffield-Lopez looked against Wood and Prior last year.

There is NO point in getting Griffey -- unless it's for Konerko, which of course is a crack pipe dream. He won't help you do jack squat, and his contract will cripple the team in the process.

You're itching to spend money freed up after Koch and Konerko/Lee depart? There are many better, cheaper options than Griffey out there.

Let's go on a 40-20 streak. Then JR will have to open his wallet. Rent ourselves an ace pitcher, a closer, a lead-off hitter at a prorated cost. And all will be well.

I hope your wrong. I want both of those players...and I don't see Seattle wanting Griffey with the record they currently have, the age they currently are, and in the division they currently are in.

Seattle hasn't had a losin season since 1995 I think, their fans won't tolerate a losing and rebuilding season. Bill Bavasi will get desperate and trade for Griffey I feel.

Deferred or not, it is still too much to pay for him. You wouldn't buy a TV for $10,000 when others that give you the same quality are available for $5,000, just because you don't have to pay for all of it now, would you?

Griffey is not worth the gamble with his contract plain and simple. The Sox do not have the kind of budget to take those kind of gambles.

FYI, Griffey's deal calls for another $66.5 million minimum. It calls for deferred payments through 2024! I can see it now, as Griffey becomes a grandfather, the Sox won't be able to make a move at the pennant chase because they still owe gramps $3.5 million....

Here is his full deal.....

2000: $12.5M [$5.5M of 2000 salary deferred until 2009+]

2001: $12.5M [$6.5M from subsequent years deferred until 2009-2024]

2002: $12.5M

2003: $12.5M

2004: $12.5M

2005: $12.5M

2006: $12.5M

2007: $12.5M

2008: $12.5M

2009: Team option with $4.0M buyout

No, not f*** 2006-2009.  This is a POS division that could and should be dominated by us for many years to come. Being short-signed and impulsive has led to the 86-year drought in the first place.   

And it's not as if we're not talking about getting Bonds or Prior here. We're talking about an aging, brittle SHELL of his former self with a long-ass contract.    Junior is exactly the type of free swinger who gets exploited by Pedro, Shilling, Brown, Hudson, Mulder and Vasquez in the playoffs. I still remember how helpless Andruw-Sheffield-Lopez looked against Wood and Prior last year.     

There is NO point in getting Griffey -- unless it's for Konerko, which of course is a crack pipe dream. He won't help you do jack squat, and his contract will cripple the team in the process. 

You're itching to spend money freed up after Koch and Konerko/Lee depart?  There are many better, cheaper options than Griffey out there.

Let's go on a 405-20 streak.  Then JR will have to open his wallet.  Rent ourselves an ace pitcher, a closer, a lead-off hitter at a prorated cost.  And all will be well.

Poor management and lack of willingness has led to our 86 year drought.

Good pitching always beats good hitting, but not every team has a Prior or a Pedro. It pays to have a good guy like Griffey in your line-up for their second-tier starters. And we all remember what happened to Prior and Pedro last post-season, don't we?

Griffey is injury-prone yes, but the upside on this guy is immeasureable. He has more of an upside than ANYONE on our roster. The risk is there, but so is the reward.

If the White Sox keep taking this safe way attitude they have been taking the last 86 years, it'll be another 86 years untill we win one.