How good does Griffey Jr. look now?

BobDylan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those two teams also have incredibly good starting pitching.  Beckett-Penny-Willis with Pavano as the #4?  Hell, Pavano would be a f***ing 2 or 3 in our mediocre staff(what's even sadder is that we have the best rotation in our division).  The Cubs don't have Prior, and they STILL have a top 5 staff in the majors.  We do not have that luxury.

The LH s*** would be used in the playoffs.  Have the opposing manager bring in a LHP to face the lefty, and then he is faced with either bringing in another RHP to pitch to the righty coming up, or hope that, if he keeps the LHP in there, that he doesn't throw a meat pitch, and that if he does, the righty doesn't hit it 500 feet. 

Not a huge advantage, but it is an advantage nonetheless.

My point was that Sox have not been getting shut down by crappy pitchers over the last year+ because they are too right-handed.

They have been getting shut down because they were/are overswinging chokers.

Until Maggs, Lee, Konerko, Rowand and Crede improve their eye and patience (and I have no idea if that's even possible anymore), they will continue having trouble hitting middle-away breaking balls, they will continue to underachive, LH bat in the middle of the order or not.

Simple as that.

And we all remember what happened to Prior and Pedro last post-season, don't we?

Yes, both were left in too long.

Prior had 3 dominant starts, and singlehandly (along with Wood) propelled the Cub team to 5 outs away from WS. Hell he gave up a few meaningless runs to Fish in Game 2 when the team had a 10-0 lead.

Griffey won't have mistake pitching to feast on in the playoffs. And his bat is no longer enough to GET the Sox there. Hell, Jose Valentin has an OPS some 70 points higher than Junior, for crying outloud!

And then there's his age, health and contract.

Yeah go ahead, sign Griffeys, Bartolos and Beltrans to full-boat....and before you know it, the 86 year streak is 90+

By hitting .241 with 6 HR and 21 RBI and 24 strikeouts???

No thanks..... I'll pass.

Who on our team has 6 HR with 21 RBI? NOBODY. We have 1 damn guy with over 20 RBI. 1 guy!

Not to mention our current CF is hitting .239 with 6 RBI's. He's an upgrade in offense over everyone but Frank and Magglio even if he hasn't gotten it going all the way yet.

Bull s*** we don't need this guy.

We just can't afford Griffey at his salary unless we trade a big salary guy like Carlos Lee or Paul Konerko back. I'd rather see Reed up here bf we make a move for sum1 like Griffey.

Who on our team has 6 HR with 21 RBI? NOBODY. We have 1 damn guy with over 20 RBI. 1 guy!

Not to mention our current CF is hitting .239 with 6 RBI's. He's an upgrade in offense over everyone but Frank and Magglio even if he hasn't gotten it going all the way yet.

Bull s*** we don't need this guy.

Needing production now is not a reason to make a knee-jerk reaction to take on $66.5 million dollars.

It's hard to think logically when you are involved in something emotionally, but your emotions are blinding your logic, my friend. If Griffey were on a one year deal, sure, an argument could be made. But just because the Sox lost three games in a row, is not a reason to panic. First place means squat right now.

Needing production now is not a reason to make a knee-jerk reaction to take on $66.5 million dollars. 

It's hard to think logically when you are involved in something emotionally, but your emotions are blinding your logic, my friend.  If Griffey were on a one year deal, sure, an argument could be made.  But just because the Sox lost three games in a row, is not a reason to panic.  First place means squat right now.

It's absurd that you think I'm in 'panic mode'. Argue your points, don't assume what I think. I've wanted Griffey from the get go, and I fail to see any reason why we shouldn't get him.

what we need to do is get beltran lose rowand and lee bring up reed and then dish valentin and a prospect or 2 for perez on the pirates because he is good and they suck

Pirates will hold onto Oliver Perez until he hits arbitration. They'll lose Benson bf the trade deadline and Kip Wells sumtime next season. Beltran is goin to the Yanks.

It's absurd that you think I'm in 'panic mode'. Argue your points, don't assume what I think.  I've wanted Griffey from the get go, and I fail to see any reason why we shouldn't get him.

Ok, you are still not looking at it logically. Others as well as myself have given you reasons why it would be stupid to pick him up. If you can't see those reasons, then we shall agree to disagree.

Ok, you are still not looking at it logically.  Others as well as myself have given you reasons why it would be stupid to pick him up.  If you can't see those reasons, then we shall agree to disagree.

I've looked at opposing views, but disagree.

I've wanted Griffey from the get go, and I fail to see any reason why we shouldn't get him.

He has an 800 OPS. Jeremy Reed could give you that.

He is old.

He is brittle.

He is very, very expensive.

Sox don't have the money.

Sox need an ace pitcher

Sox need a lead-off hitter'

Sox need a closer.

The last thing this teams needs is an injury prone, high salary, high risk guy on the team. The sox need pitching and some good contact hitters. The only way the sox will go after a guy like Beltran is if Maggs and/or Lee go and they leave the remaining spots to prospects such as Reed and Borchard, and don't think the sox won't give Borchard a full time job, Kenny has already said if he needs another OF he has no problem with giving Borchard the job.

Besides if the sox can't afford Maggs what makes you think they can get Beltran? It's already been said he wants arod money for about 5-7 years. With our OF prospects, if the sox don't resign Maggs, I think they should sign another good lefty contact hitter to replace him for about 3 years with an option for 4, that way we give Anderson, Sweeney, and definatley Reed time to develop. Besides these guys we also Nanita and don't leave out Borchard. I hoping most of them will become studs, if not atleast 2 will have to be good major league players.

I know the sox will have some studs in the OF soon but we desperatley need an ace, I hope our prospect such as Diaz, Honel, and Pacheco can do some damage once they get here and I hope thats fast. I still haven't given up on Josh Stewart I hope he gets better.

He makes 9 million, with a lot of it deferred. Carlos Lee makes 6 million, with I assume none of it deferred.

There are teams that have interest in Carlos Lee. Seattle might be one of them, and LA could be another. Same with Konerko, and same teams. Not to mention both of those teams can afford those players.

With what the Sox plans look to be, Griffey would be a much welcomed addition into our line-up.

If there were teams with legitimate interest in Lee or Konerko, where the White Sox wouldn't have had to take similar money back, one of them would have been moved this past off season. Remember, the team is over budget right now. You think Griffey is so great, he just got dropped down to 5th in the order. His numbers are earily similar to Konerko's this season, and you know he will get hurt again and again and again...... He is not the same player he was 5 years ago, not even close. In fact,Bill James, who takes his numbers seriously gives him 0% chance of hitting 600 career homeruns, which is only 113 short of what he has now. JR was on the Score a few weeks ago, and he said there was no chance Griffey would play for the White Sox. The Sox would be much better off giving Reed a chance, and using those precious dollars for pitching.

not that im saying lets go out and get griffey, but hes kicking ass in teh 5th spot

What's it been, 3 games? The first 2 he raked, today he didn't do much. His average is .241, he will be on the DL at some point this season. The days of him hitting 45 homers and winning gold gloves are long gone. There are better players who are much cheaper than him. If he really was such a bargain, Cincinatti wouldn't want to get rid of him. Paying people millions to sit on a couch eating Doritos, is not good business. Unfortunately, that has happened every year he has been in Cincinatti, and early indications this season see that trend continuing.