Do you like Classic R+B?

Be Good

Do you like Classic R+B?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Classic R+B?

• Yes
    • No

Out of curiousity, what do you mean by "classic" R&B?  Name some examples.

OK here's a couple:

Jimmy Mack

Goin' Out Of My Head

Just My Imagination

Nowhere to run

Wonderful World

Will You Love Me Tomorrow?

Mamma said there will be days like this

OK here's a couple:

Jimmy Mack

Goin' Out Of My Head

Just My Imagination 

Nowhere to run

Wonderful World

Hey, not bad for a youngin' Beastly. Get your ears grooving with some Sam Cook, Smokey and the Miracles, Otis Redding, Wicked Wilson Picket, 'Retha, Tops, Temps, Ray Charles, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, and Little Stevie Wonder and you'll be doing alright. :drink

Hey, not bad for a youngin' Beastly.  Get your ears grooving with some Sam Cook, Smokey and the Miracles, Otis Redding, Wicked Wilson Picket, 'Retha, Tops, Temps, Ray Charles, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, and Little Stevie Wonder and you'll be doing alright.  :drink

BEASTLY!!!!! :lol: :o

Crap, I meant BE GOOD.  Sorry.  Go back to your vapid metalhead wasteland, Beastly.  :D  :headbang

My brain fart notwithstanding, good on ya for getting a little rootsy with your music.

OHHHH that feels better....... :)

OK here's a couple:

Jimmy Mack

Goin' Out Of My Head

Just My Imagination 

Nowhere to run

Wonderful World

I throughly enjoy motown artists, though I would never admit it outside of this board. :D Despite its obvious influence in the development of music, they don't compare (IMO) to the classic rock artists of the mid to late 60's; ideally the British Invasion. Any music created circa 1960-1971 is timeless, and its good people of our generation are keeping it alive. :headbang

Please.   1% of it is timeless.  99% is either mediocre or garbage.

Like any other era/movement.

Decade: "Timeless"/"Mediocre,"Garbage"

60s: 70/30

70s: 40/60

80s: 20/80

90s: 60/40

From motown to the Beatles, its almost as if the geneology of modern day music was planted during this period of the "baby boomers". Elements of rock, blues, jazz all existed in the 50's, but it was as if it all came together during this decade (60's). Of course everyone is entitiled to judge the 60's as they will, I just hold "classic rock" as a personal favorite.

Any music created circa 1960-1971 is timeless, and its good people of our generation are keeping it alive.  :headbang

Yeah, i won't bother with a % breakdown and all, but as far as "all" music from that era being timeless I have two words for you: Tiny Tim. :bang

Yeah, i won't bother with a % breakdown and all, but as far as "all" music from that era being timeless I have two words for you: Tiny Tim.  :bang

Yes, now I admit ALL is a harsh word to use, but 99% of it was not garbage.

Look at it this way: when I listen to the radio I hear the best of the best, and not the likes of the ukulele branding hippy, "Tiny Tim." :lol:

Yes, now I admit ALL is a harsh word to use, but 99% of it was not garbage.

99% (or 90% if you like round figures) of everything is either mediocre or bad, by default.

90% of scientists. Pro athletes. Artists. Stock traders. Etc.

Otis.

R&B is Otis.

and f***ing not "Dock of the Bay."

gotta start with Otis before me discuss any more R&B.

I love Otis Redding. My favorite song would probably be one of these five:

"These Arms Of Mine"

"That's How Strong My Love Is"

"I've Been Loving You Too Long"

"My Lover's Prayer"

"I've Got Dreams To Remember"

I could never decide between these.

And of course, "Sittin On The Dock Of The Bay" is outstanding, albeit not a typical Redding track.

Yeah, nobody comes anywhere close to Otis in the R&B realm as far as I'm concerned.

Crap, I meant BE GOOD.  Sorry.  Go back to your vapid metalhead wasteland, Beastly.  :D  :headbang

My brain fart notwithstanding, good on ya for getting a little rootsy with your music.

Gotta get the hard rock going baby! Yah!

I throughly enjoy motown artists, though I would never admit it outside of this board.  :D  Despite its obvious influence in the development of music, they don't compare (IMO) to the classic rock artists of the mid to late 60's; ideally the British Invasion.  Any music created circa 1960-1971 is timeless, and its good people of our generation are keeping it alive.  :headbang

There is an inordinate amount of jazz fusion from the late sixties & early seventies that would just blow you mind. I have maybe 11 or 12 full crates of jazz oriented stuff from that time period alone.

A good place to start would be soulseek. Download "Dusty Fingers" Volumes 1 through 10, and then go from there.

Also, if you were to hear some organ reggae, like Jackie Mittoo's 1967 instrumental version of "Whiter Shade Of Pale" (insert salivating smiley here), you'd be fiending for some more. Jackie has maybe 15 LPs out there, and a bunch of compilations as well. That's really just the tip of the iceberg, though. Once again, try soulseek. Just do a search on that one track & I can guarantee that you'll be like :bang damn it how come I haven't heard of any of this stuff before?

Hey, not bad for a youngin' Beastly.  Get your ears grooving with some Sam Cook, Smokey and the Miracles, Otis Redding, Wicked Wilson Picket, 'Retha, Tops, Temps, Ray Charles, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, and Little Stevie Wonder and you'll be doing alright.  :drink

Don't forget Barry White!