E3 Thread

DBAHO

The E3 Convention starts in 8 hours and there's heaps of cool game news and possibly new systems like the Sony PSP coming out. I'll start it off with an article and a pic on Halo 2, it's goin to be released on November 9 this year.

562116_20040510_embed003.jpg

“The year is 2552.” That’s how Bungie representatives began their brief demonstration of the company’s upcoming first-person shooter, Halo 2. The demo, which took place at Microsoft’s annual pre-E3 press conference, focused on the some of the title’s multiplayer capabilities as well as some of the physics modeling that is going into the game.

The demo started with a brief look at the Spartan soldier. The Master Chief model is looking as shiny as ever, and Halo 2 will contain some customization features for multiplayer, including custom emblem design for your armor, as well as an array of different color choices.

Firing on a Covenant elite was up next. The game’s dual wield functionality was shown. Basically, Halo 2 appears to have some of the same weapon carrying limitations as Halo 1, but if you hit Y when standing over a weapon, you can place that weapon into your off-hand for some serious akimbo action. Dual wielding appears to be possible with any pistol-style weapon, and you don’t need to pair up two weapons of the same type. When packing a double punch, the two triggers work independently, letting you fire each weapon individually.

The game will also contain some melee weapons, in the form of a Covenant energy sword. The energy sword has a basic swipe attack, as well as a more advanced lunge that really does some serious damage. When the Spartan attacked the elite, the elite was sent flying from the force of the blow.

The demo then moved on to vehicles, showing off the Warthog and the Ghost. You’ll be able to execute boosts in some of the vehicles, making for a nice dash in the ghost. In a Grand Theft Auto-like twist, you’ll also be able to steal vehicles from other players by approaching a slow-moving or stopped ride and hitting X. The animations for the carjacking were pretty solid, showing the Spartan hopping on top of a Ghost and kicking the elite off.

Vehicles can be destroyed in Halo 2. In fact, they can also be damaged. Shooting up a vehicle will cause pieces to fly off of it, and that damage will also reduce a vehicle’s handling ability. When destroyed, players will have to flee from the wreckage, because vehicles blow up with a satisfying blast shortly after they’re damaged beyond repair.

A large segement of the demo was devoted to showing that the Halo 2 engine could handle some of the same physics-based reactions as other modern first-person shooters. When hit with rocket launchers--which now have a new target tracking feature for lock-on shots--Warthogs go flying. Large boulders and other parts of the scenery can be blasted around. At one point the Spartan soldier even pushed the wheel of a broken-up Warthog around with the butt of his gun.

The entire demo took place on a map located in Zanzibar. The level was outfitted for one-flag capture-the-flag, and the level looked like it was setup for the Spartan troops to storm a beachfront base that’s populated by Covenant players. A quick flyover the level showcased some of the other destructible objects. Turret emplacements and other strategic points of interest can be destroyed by sustained fire. Once inside the base, Spartan troops can activate a terminal that opens the front gates, making the siege a little more vehicle-friendly. There’s also a secret spot in the map that can only be found by blowing up a portion of the level and causing a large platform to fall into place, forming a bridge that leads to the ever-popular energy sword.

The level--located in a futuristic Zanzibar and referred to as Hell on Earth--appears to take cues from Unreal Tournament’s assault mode, or the objective-based multiplayer of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, in that there seems to be a definite progression for moving through the level and into the base. Also from Unreal Tournament, the game calls out players for killing sprees after you kill a specific number of enemies without dying.

Graphically, Halo 2 looked as sharp as ever. The models look impressive, react to impacts well, and have that same generally shiny look that you’ve come to expect from Halo. The environment seemed large and looked like more like a natural environment than a standard first-person shooter multiplayer map. Finally, things blow up really well--the destruction of vehicles is truly a sight to see.

have you seen a walk through of it? it looks freakin' amazing. can't wait.

Warcraft worlds looks cool too

I'm gettin my Dad to get me the orginial Half Life in Malaysia for bout 2 bucks. I'm most lookin forward to checkin out footage of the new Leisure Suit Larry game, The Movies, Doom 3 and the new Warcraft game too.

Half-Life 2 was originally supposed to come out in like 1989.  It's ridiculous how many times it's been delayed.

But I've seen the videos and it seems worth it.

seriously, I saw video from it and I'm amazed at the levels they're taking this game, but I think that's probably why there's been a delay. I've heard it mainly has to do with the system requirements for PCs, they're trying to lower them as to include more people in the potential market, but at like 2.0 ghz and 1 gig of RAM it's looking like more and more people would have to totally upgrade their systems to even install the damn game.

we'll see

Yeah I heard about that system requirements stuff, trying to make it available for more people. That's what made the first one great, you didn't necessarily need tons of ram or a dynamite video card to play it.

Also the hacker thing, I heard about that too. People are such idiots.

Yeah I heard about that system requirements stuff, trying to make it available for more people.  That's what made the first one great, you didn't necessarily need tons of ram or a dynamite video card to play it.

Also the hacker thing, I heard about that too.  People are such idiots.

I'm tryin to get a video card nice and cheap from Malaysia so I can actually play games like Prince of Persia on my computer. Most games today u really need a top notch video card and lots of RAM. :o

I expect HL 2 by 4th quarter at the earliest. And to think of all these people that bought Radeons for the HL voucher coupon only to realize their cards will be a couple years old by the time the game comes out.

I look forward to Doom 3, Halo2, and The Sims 2 coming out this year.

There is a ton of good games at E3 this year, but I'd have to say that the games I'm looking forward to the most would have to be Fable, GTA San Andreas, HL2.. ok to sum this up.. I'm looking forward to pretty much all of them that have been mentioned in this thread. Except for World of Warcraft, while I love the series, I'm not all that interested in MMORPGs.

GTA San Andreas news rite here plus pics, :D

GTA San Andreas Article

gtasa_screen001.jpg

Late today, Rockstar gave many PlayStation 2 owners what they've been waiting for--their first glimpse of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

A trio of images on the official San Andreas Web site seemed to confirm what many who have been following the game suspected. It will be set in modern times (not the 1970s-set game some had said) and will have a heavy West-Coast gangsta flava.

The first image could be taken from any one of the many late 1980s/early 1990s gangsta films, such as Menace II Society or Colors. It depicts a quartet of corn-rowed, Uzi-toting O.G.s performing a drive-by shooting from a car from the same period.

Shot number two shows a young hood, also with an Uzi, squatting in front of a tricked out old-school convertible, often called a "hooptie" or a "hoo-ride." He is wearing what looks like a Carhartt jacket and Timberland boots--the de facto gangsta uniform circa 1994.

The last shot shows the same character riding a bicycle down neighborhood straight out of Compton, with single-level homes set against a smog-colored sky. No information was released on whether bicycles can be ridden in the game.

The Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas site also has a new splash page, which changes each time the site is loaded. One shows a blond woman bending over to show the tattoos on her décolletage, another features a baseball-cap wearing gangsta sporting what could be called "mad bling." A third shows, a scantily clad Latina in a bandana halter top, and a fourth shows a snarling thug with tattoo sleeves and a shaven head.

All the shots indicate that the controversial Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has not lost the rough-and-ready nature of its predecessors. GameSpot will have more on this highly anticipated title--which is due in Q4 2004--as they become available.

Plot details for GTA San Andreas,

Early this morning, Rockstar released the first plot summary of GTA: SA, which confirmed its early 1990s millieu. Here it is verbatim:

"Five years ago Carl Johnson escaped from the pressures of life in Los Santos, San Andreas...a city tearing itself apart with gang trouble, drugs and corruption. Where filmstars and millionaires do their best to avoid the dealers and gangbangers.

Now, it's the early 90s. Carl's got to go home. His mother has been murdered, his family has fallen apart and his childhood friends are all heading towards disaster.

On his return to the neighborhood, a couple of corrupt cops frame him for homicide. CJ is forced on a journey that takes him across the entire state of San Andreas, to save his family and to take control of the streets."

The GTA premise looks very cool.  But how much you wanna bet jesse jackson sues Rockstar for being racist?

Also, I can't wait for sims 2, i played the first one to death.

Here's a new video and preview for The Sims 2, plus it's goin to be released on September 17 now supossedly.

Sims Video Trailer 8

And here's one that I thought was hilarious, watch Larry Lovage try to impress a farm chick as the producers call her "fresh off the turnip cart"

Gameplay Footage 1 Video

You're able to download the Sims 2 Body shop kit right now. It's a stand alone program that allows you to make pretty much everything you can imagine for your Sims.. from hair styles to shoes and everything else in between. Gamespot has it up for downloading now and I'm sure that other sites like fileplanet have it by now as well.

i really thought brady would get it this year.....oh well.

You would think Lewis would turn down being on the cover after what happened to vick last year.

It's a curse I tell ya, A Curse!!! Now u know why TO wished Jeff Garcia was on the cover and vice versa. :lol: