More Minor League Chatter...

DaSoxRox

Spidale is a Chicago-area kid, will turn 21 this year. Good size at 6'1", a converted 2nd baseman, now plays CF. Great speed, he stole quite a few bases this year, although he had a shoulder injury which kept him out for a month or so. This was his 2nd year at low class A and he improved with the bat this year.

Morse is a big shortstop who was a 3rd round pick I believe in 2000, he was an all-state HS player in Florida. He's about 6'4" ... his bat started to come around last year at Kannapolis and he hit .259 for the year if memory serves. He also spent some time at 3B, so I'm not certain what the Sox' long term plans for him are. He's also very young, will also turn 21 this year.

Hey J.........

This isn't good news for your boy Edwin Yan.

Q: Richard Wambach from St. Charles, IL asks:

Edwin Yan had a fairly decent year at Winston-Salem and I believe that he led the organization in stolen bases. Since the Sox could use additional speed, is Yan a possibility for the middle of the infield in the next 2-3 years?

A: Phil Rogers: Edwin Yan has speed and defensive range but not a lot else. He's still a project at the plate. He's going to go to the Southern League in 2003 but won't get above it unless he hits the ball more solidly. His average at Winston-Salem was built largely on bunts and infield hits.

Hey J.........

This isn't good news for your boy Edwin Yan.

Q:  Richard Wambach from St. Charles, IL asks:

Edwin Yan had a fairly decent year at Winston-Salem and I believe that he led the organization in stolen bases. Since the Sox could use additional speed, is Yan a possibility for the middle of the infield in the next 2-3 years? 

A:  Phil Rogers: Edwin Yan has speed and defensive range but not a lot else. He's still a project at the plate. He's going to go to the Southern League in 2003 but won't get above it unless he hits the ball more solidly. His average at Winston-Salem was built largely on bunts and infield hits.

Oh trust me, this guy will be good. Add some muscle and such and oh ya. The guy has great plate discipline and I gave him some more kind words in my AA Preview which will be up tomorrow.

I thought this comment was very interesting. I could certainly live with those stats from Olivo.

Phil Rogers: The White Sox will probably add a veteran catcher as insurance but it's Olivo's job. He's jumping from double-A but he's hardly inexperienced, after two years in high-A and two more in double-A. I expect the catching position to be the best it's been in years. Put down Olivo for .265-12-55 and 120 games caught.

• 3 months later...
I can't find any info on Kris Honel or Jon Rauch. 

How long until these two are in the Sox rotation?

Honel's still quite a few years away....I'm thinking maybe 2006 or so.

Rauch, IMO, could be a solid middle of the rotation starter if he ever gets his head out of his ass and just pitches. I don't think he'll ever be what we invisioned him being in 2000 when he pitched so dominantly in the minors. I think working with Nardi in the spring of 2001 really screwed him up.

I forgot the Sox got Yan along with Marte for Guerrier. What a trade that is turning out to be. Last time I checked Guerrier was really struggling at AAA.

Even if he was pwning AAA, it wouldn't matter.

Marte is a total freak, he's just unreal to watch, especially live.

Even if he was pwning AAA, it wouldn't matter.

Marte is a total freak, he's just unreal to watch, especially live.

I agree that the Marte trade was a good one for the Sox.

That said, Guerrier has struggled at AAA this year after being injured in ST and starting late. His numbers are a bit misleading though due to limited starts and one really horrible one. (3.1IP 9H 9 ER 3BB)

In his other starts, he's been decent, but not horrible, nor great.