Running the mile

CubsSuck1

Seriously, running a marathon isn't really that difficult with about a year to prepare. Guys who are racing marathons on the other hand  :notworthy

You should never really go into oxygen debt in a marathon, it's more just logging the training miles, gently increasing your max run into the 20 mile range.

Everyone on my team thought I'd be the one to run the marathon. I loved distances, but wasn't very fast. My knees put an end to that dream. I wouldn't mind walking one though...might take a while that way. :lol:

I'd love to run the Chicago Marathon once, but pretty much I am 40 lbs over my running weight, and lazy.  Other than that I could probably be a good marathoner ;)

I'm 50 over my college cross country weight. But it's slowly dropping.

I need to be around 180-190 for a 2 week backpacking trip in New Mexico next year.

My luck to see Jim everywhere my Junior year. I finished second in my conference as a Sophmore and thought I culd run the 880. Then I watched Jim and realized I sucked.

Jim Spivey is one of the greatest American distance runners of all-time.  Jim attended Fenton High School and ran some amazing times while he was there (#1 in the nation as a senior in the 880 yard run and #2 in the mile).  The next stop in his journey landed him at Indiana University, where he won 13 Big Ten Titles and two NCAA championships.  Jim then went on to win numerous American championships and also qualified for the Olympics in the 1500 meter run two times and the 5000 meter run once (1984, 1992, and 1996). In 1987 Jim won a bronze medal in the 1500 meter run at the World Championships.  He also has the American 2000 meter record in 4:52.44.  Jim now coaches at Vanderbilt University after coaching four years at the University of Chicago.

3. What was your favorite high school race?

JS:  My last race:  The 1978 International Prep Invitational, hosted at North Central College, and put on by Joe Newton of York High School.  Athletes from all over the USA, and a few from outside the states, competed.  I was able to follow the pace through the half way point easily, as I had won the Illinois State meet for the 880 yards two weeks prior in 1:50.5 (1:49.8 for meters).  This was the fastest time in the country by a high school athlete.  Now, running 2:03 (61-62), it was easy.  I kept thinking, when are these guys going to pull away?  It was only my third mile race of the season, having run 4:20 and 4:13.9 prior.  I took the lead with 500 meters to go, as the pace felt so slow.  It has slowed, as I ran 63 for my third 440.  I increased my tempo, closing in 60 to run 4:06.2, the number two performer that year for high school athletes.

:notworthy

By the way Joe Newton at York High School is arguably the greatest High School coach in any sport. His "Long Green Line" won about half the state titles in the 60's and 70's. Just an amazing program.