KW being Ultra-aggressive

chg027

We won't be tradin Maggs for Mulder, Oakland wouldn't take on that salary even if we paid some. Now Carlos Lee is a different story, making $7 mill this year, if we chucked in a pitching prospect like Honel or even Baj then it could be more possible. I'd rather try to get Schmidt from the Giants though if they're out of the race, but Mulder would be a VERY NICE addition indeed.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im thinking the same thing... Maggs for Moulder?..

I like the Carlos Lee, Honel, and someone else for Mulder... Thats makes more sense..

BUT

If we could trade Maggs for Moulder and "pry" Beltran away from the Royals that would just kick ass more than I can even imagine..

DBAH0 is right about oakland that they won't take Magg's contract. I would not want to give Maggs up either. I don't want Leiter personally and Schmidt might be the answer with the high potential of the Giants falling out of contention. The fact of the matter is a dominant starting pitcher could get us over the hump and I think KW will not fail us as he has not really failed us in the pass. He's a great GM that has always done something to try to improve the club. I expect a good/great pitcher in our rotation before the deadline. I also thought that I heard Beane say that he is keeping Hudson and Mulder and having Zito be the odd guy out when all is said and done. If KW gets mulder though... :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

People are talking about getting Mulder OR Schmidt. Why can't we get Mulder AND Schmidt?

Have Lee and Koch be apart of both trades. Trade say Lee and a prospect or two for Mulder(however, we'd either have to take on someone from the A's who's making about $1.5 mill or chip in about $1.5 mill...they do have a strict budget), and then trade Koch and Scho(along with prospects) to San Francisco for Jason Schmidt. Our rotation is Schmidt, Mulder, Loaiza, Buehrle, Garland, with a pen of Marte, Politte, Shingo, Jackson, Wunsch, Adkins, and Cotts. Marte closes, Politte and Shingo are setup guys, Jackson, Adkins, and Cotts can be used as middle or long relief, and Wunsch is used as a LOOGY. At some point, Adkins can be sent down to open a spot for another bench player, but that could be decided later. The lineup looks like...

Harris - CF

Uribe - 2B

Maggs - RF

Thomas - DH

Valentin - SS

Konerko - 1B

Reed/Crede - LF/3B

Crede/Rowand - 3B/LF

Olivo - C

With Alomar, preferably Rowand, Perez, Gload, and a utility IF(perhaps the Sox trade a fringe prospect for Graffanino, maybe the claim one off the waiver wires, maybe they take on McLemore in the Mulder trade, etc...there are all kinds of solutions).

I don't know about anyone else, but I like that team a hell of a lot more then the one we have right now.

People are talking about getting Mulder OR Schmidt. Why can't we get Mulder AND Schmidt?

Because we're the Chicago White Sox and stuff like that never happens to us? Because it would cost us Honel, Reed, Diaz and Anderson in no particular order?

Have Lee and Koch be apart of both trades

Kotch is worthless and Lee has limited value in no small part thanks to the 15/2 deal he signed.

Because we're the Chicago White Sox and stuff like that never happens to us?  Because it would cost us Honel, Reed, Diaz and Anderson in no particular order?

This is true

Kotch is worthless and Lee has limited value in no small part thanks to the 15/2 deal he signed.

Those two are mainly for the salary part. The prospects are what cover the actual players. We can't trade for Mulder OR Schmidt and keep Lee, Konerko, and Koch(you can include Maggs there too). Period.

People are talking about getting Mulder OR Schmidt.  Why can't we get Mulder AND Schmidt?

Have Lee and Koch be apart of both trades.  Trade say Lee and a prospect or two for Mulder(however, we'd either have to take on someone from the A's who's making about $1.5 mill or chip in about $1.5 mill...they do have a strict budget), and then trade Koch and Scho(along with prospects) to San Francisco for Jason Schmidt.  Our rotation is Schmidt, Mulder, Loaiza, Buehrle, Garland, with a pen of Marte, Politte, Shingo, Jackson, Wunsch, Adkins, and Cotts.  Marte closes, Politte and Shingo are setup guys, Jackson, Adkins, and Cotts can be used as middle or long relief, and Wunsch is used as a LOOGY.  At some point, Adkins can be sent down to open a spot for another bench player, but that could be decided later.  The lineup looks like...

Harris - CF

Uribe - 2B

Maggs - RF

Thomas - DH

Valentin - SS

Konerko - 1B

Reed/Crede - LF/3B

Crede/Rowand - 3B/LF

Olivo - C

With Alomar, preferably Rowand, Perez, Gload, and a utility IF(perhaps the Sox trade a fringe prospect for Graffanino, maybe the claim one off the waiver wires, maybe they take on McLemore in the Mulder trade, etc...there are all kinds of solutions).

I don't know about anyone else, but I like that team a hell of a lot more then the one we have right now.

All of this is good in theory, but it will never happen because neither of these teams would be stupid enough to trade for these guys...Think about it, guys that no one wants for two of the top 15 starters in baseball, not going to happen.

This is true

Not only that, but I probably under-shot the price: someone like Billy Beane wouldn't be as thrillied about Honel and Diaz as a typical Sox fan is. The former had experienced loss of velocity numerous times in the last 2 years and is currently on DL. The latter didn't have a good 2003 and just got absolutely shelled against the O's. So as far as Beane is concerned, it's not as if we're talking about Edwin Jackson or Rich Harden here. Why would he even entertain the possibility?

Reed and Anderson have value, especially the former. Knowing Billy Beane.....it would probably be Reed + Honel + Munoz = Mulder + [Adkins clone]

I am not even sure what it would take to get Schmidt. A lot. His health is a concern, though.

Those two are mainly for the salary part....We can't trade for Mulder OR Schmidt and keep Lee, Konerko, and Koch(you can include Maggs there too).  Period

Yeah, but why would other teams give a f*** about Sox' financial concerns? Kotch has NO value and noone would take him - unless it's something like Thomas + Koch = Weaver, which would be suicide for the Sox. Lee will net you more, but needless to say, it won't be Schmidt or Mulder. You probably couldn't even get Washburn for him anymore.

Teams from Cubs (if either Prior or Wood is out) to Yankees to Braves to Cardinals will be/are vying for guys like Mulder, Schmidt, Halladay, Unit. They have more money and arguably more talent to offer than the Sox do.

And on the flip side....At some point, Sox have to say "it may not be worth the farm system to get a rent player who doesn't even guarantee you an ALDS win".

It's one thing to give up overrated Ring and a very raw Webster and quite another the REAL future - Reed, Sweeney, Munoz, Honel, Bajenaru, etc.

Can everyone who wants to trade Koch in one of the deals just STFU?

Why would a team not in the playoff race want Botch even if we paid 3/4 his salary?

And why would a team in the playoff race want Botch even if we paid for 3/4 his salary?

Why would a team not in the playoff race want Botch even if we paid 3/4 his salary?

And why would a team in the playoff race want Botch even if we paid for 3/4 his salary?

To shag fly balls during batting practice? :huh

I could see the A's wanting Juan Uribe as part of a package for Mulder. Cheap and young. Forget prospects.

Though I think Uribe's upside is huge, if something could happen to acquire Mulder then the Sox should think about it. Uribe cetainly won't hit .350 forever.

Potential, past performances....players all given second chances

If anyone was willing to take Koch off KW's hands, he would be gone already.

Not according to KW, he was quoted saying people aren't willing to make trades yet. If someone is desperate for a closer, and I'll admit they would have to be desperate, they would take their chances on Koch.

I dunno, I think he could be a .300 hitter. 

Don't forget, he has the tools that made some scouts think he was the second coming of A-Rod only a couple of years ago.

He doesn't have the pitch selection to hit 300, but with a start he's had, I certainly wouldn't rule 290 out.. Then again...who cares? The guy can field, run and hit for power. Hitting .300 is overrated -- batting average is overrated.

BabyBerroa was never second coming of A-Rod. Different player. If he becomes a 900 OPS player, Sox fans should be ecstatic. He can play 2B, 3B, SS and a little outfield as well. I liked him last year, but I didn't expect him to be quite this good.

If he becomes a 900 OPS player, Sox fans should be ecstatic. He can play 2B, 3B, SS and a little outfield as well. I liked him last year, but I didn't expect him to be quite this good.

Knowing this, would you put Uribe in as part of a deal for Mulder?

Knowing this, would you put Uribe in as part of a deal for Mulder?

First of all, I am not sure Billius Caesar would want Uribe's OBP. He'd much rather have Jeremy Reed, Bajenaru and Honel or some such instead. :)

Secondly, the 900 OPS is not guaranteed to anybody, Uribe especially. I am saying his upside is that, but I could be wrong. That's (post-surgery) Garciaparra land. Is Uribe strong mentally to do that over the full season? Will he want to make constant adjustments and use the whole field, or will he become a one-dimensional, underachieving hitter in a Valentin mold? The questions can't be answered yet.

I do want Mulder, don't get me wrong. I also want Jenny Finch. Doesn't mean we get what we want :lol:

Couldn't Jose be back at a lesser salary, say $3 mill? Jose could be around a year or two until a guy like Mike Morse is ready.

Considering he's 34, I'd day 3 Mill is too much. 1-2 Mill is a good price and Uribe can always play 2B in case either Rowand or Harris crap out or even 3B if the Golden Boy continues on the path to AAAA-dom.