Post ya favorite Beatles song:

Be Good

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or the BeeGees?  :puke

That may have been the worst movie of all time. I read where half way through they new it sucked; but couldn't find a strategy to save it. By then it was too late. I can not blame the Bee Gees for that disaster.

Guilty pleasure, I watched a Bee Gees concert film from a couple years ago and dammit, I wanted to make fun, but wound up enjoying the crap out of it.

Or the BeeGees?  :puke

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

actually the fault goes to Robert Stigwood - he was solely responsible for that travesty. He should have never been allowed anywhere near a movie studio.

Tex - it is at least a Top 10 if not the #1 worst movie of all time, agreed!

And Tex- The BeeGees did some good stuff through their many incarnations through the years, no need to feel ashamed -

And Tex- The BeeGees did some good stuff through their many incarnations through the years, no need to feel ashamed -

Now you're just being an enabler. :D

Actually, I used to play "Gotta Get a Message Through" with some regularity in a acoustic/vocal duo deal for a couple years if people requested it. I'll still do "How Can You Mend This Broken Heart" (I don't know what the real titles of either of those two songs is) if the mood and/or alcohol hits me, but admittedly as a a sendup/parody of the tune.

Now you're just being an enabler. :D

Actually, I used to play "Gotta Get a Message Through" with some regularity in a acoustic/vocal duo deal for a couple years if people requested it.  I'll still do "How Can You Mend This Broken Heart" (I don't know what the real titles of either of those two songs is) if the mood and/or alcohol hits me, but admittedly as a a sendup/parody of the tune.

Interesting debate would be if Disco made or killed the BeeGees.

Interesting debate would be if Disco made or killed the BeeGees.

I was thinking the very same thing. Commercially, there is no doubt disco was bery bery good to the BeeGees. Musically, I think that really stereotyped them and they spent the rest of their careers trying to dig out of that hole.

There's that Robert Stigwwod connection again. If blame for the abomination that was the Andy Gibb/BeeGees Sgt. Peper film, then you also have to give him credit for reinventing the BeeGees with Saturday Night Fever.

Questionable music and styles of the day notwithstanding, that film is still very good, IMO.

I was thinking the very same thing.  Commercially, there is no doubt disco was bery bery good to the BeeGees.  Musically, I think that really stereotyped them and they spent the rest of their careers trying to dig out of that hole.

There's that Robert Stigwwod connection again.  If blame for the abomination that was the Andy Gibb/BeeGees Sgt. Peper film, then you also have to give him credit for reinventing the BeeGees with Saturday Night Fever.

Questionable music and styles of the day notwithstanding, that film is still very good, IMO.

musically they did cut some cool albums prior to SNF. The whole what to do with Andy hurt them.

Actually, I used to play "Gotta Get a Message Through"

Gotta Get a Message To You ;)

I actually once loved that song... hold on, hold on...

and they did the immortal To Love Somebody which their version was s*** but look what Janis did with it -

I think disco made the BeeGees -

here it comes -

I loved disco - it was a lot of fun - sure it had a lot of crap but all forms of music do - had a lot of great stuff too - used to go dancing every Saturday night - when I discovered that aerobics was disco in a gym, I became the King Of Aerboics - and been doing that for years - so I work out in a room with bright lights and music, women in spandex (so no one gets surprised later on), and all the women there know I can keep the beat, can last for an hour, and can take insturctions from a woman - its all good, guys -- ;) most successful form of dating known - :lol:

The preacher talked to me and he smiled,

Said, "Come and walk with me, come and walk one more mile.

Now for once in your life you're alone,

but you ain't got a dime, there's no time for the phone."

I've just got to get a message to you, hold on, hold on.

One more hour and my life will be through, hold on, hold on.

I told him I'm in no hurry,

but if I broke her heart, won't you tell her I'm sorry.

And for once in my life I'm alone,

and I've got to let her know just in time before I go.

I've just go to get a message to you, hold on, hold on.

One more hour and my life will be through, hold on, hold on.

Well I laughed but that didn't hurt,

and it's only her love that keeps me wearing this dirt.

Now I'm crying but deep down inside,

well I did it to him, now it's my turn to die.

I've just got to get a message to you, hold on, hold on.

One more hour and my life will be through, hold on, hold on

In a Beatles thread :headshake

I found an interesting trivia question I had never heard before.  I will post the answer when I get home tonight 

On the cover of Sgt Pepper

Who were the two people taken out of the picture?

asgt1ws.jpg

You're serving up meatballs.

Leo Gorcey and Ghandi were included in the shoot, but were painted out of the final version of the cover.

John also wanted to include Hitler and the Nazz himself, and the Nazz would have made the cut had John not made the infamous 'bigger than Jesus' statement shortly before the album's release.

Here's a Pepper meatball for you: From where did John get the inspiration for "Good Morning Good Morning"?

These are too easy so I won't even bother to answer this one.

Kalamazoo, where I want to move back to, is right near Battle Creek. That should be answer for some and hint for others.

edited to give others the answer: from tv commercials for...

tic503.jpg

Edited by cwsox

There get too easy so I won't even bother to answer this one.

Kalamazoo, where I want to move back to, is right near Battle Creek.  That should be answer for some and hint for others.

I knew Michigan Boy would get that one in a heartbeat.

OK Smarty Jones... Do you know who does the voice of Tony the Tiger ("They're Grr-rr-eat!")? What else has he done?

Kalamazoo is a great town. I spent a lot of my summers as a kid up near Dowagiac (Zeke's is an awesome beer bar there), and we'd make it over to Kalamazoo once in a while.

You're a mean one, Mr. Flasoxx Jim, if you think I am going to buckle under so easily that you think I can't say Thurl Ravenscroft when I need to or know what else he did.

I found a home yesterday in KZ I am going to make an offer on. Of course it is walking distance to Bells. About 4 blocks further than my last house was from Bells. But walking distance none the less.

Shall I follow up with Michigan trivia? Cereal trivia?

So I makle this a two-part really, really easy:

1 June 1967

pink

green

blue

orange

discuss

You're a mean one, Mr. Flasoxx Jim, if you think I am going to buckle under so easily that you think I can't say Thurl Ravenscroft when I need to or know what else he did.

I found a home yesterday in KZ I am going to make an offer on.  Of course it is walking distance to Bells. About 4 blocks further than my last house was from Bells.  But walking distance none the less.

Shall I follow up with Michigan trivia?  Cereal trivia?

So I makle this a two-part really, really easy:

1 June 1967

pink

green

blue

orange

discuss

Unless I'm missing something, those would be...

The release date for SPLHCB (and being four days AFTER the day I was born, I contend that it was I and not the Beatles that actually ushered in the Summer of Love)

The colors of the Pepper suits the lads wore on the cover.

the questions just got tougher.

Who is John Scott and what is his Beatle musical claim to fame?

They did indeed get harder. John Scott worked with EMI and George Martin in the 60s, and went on to collaborate with Apple artist Cilla Black and do a lot of film scoring. As far as a direct Beatle link, I'll hazard that he played the harp on "She's Leaving Home" and/or Clarinet on "When I'm 64" only because I know he played harp and clarinet, worked with Martin at the time, and we have been rather beating up on the Pepper trivia.

I must admit I am embarrased that I don't know with certainty who played those parts. And I have the nerve to call myself a Beatles fan... :angry:

OK, here's one for you, in the Pepper vein... Who was the first artist the Beatles saw do a live cover of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (the song)? Hint: it was done the week the album came out and completely floored the lads.

hey did indeed get harder.

1. John Scott worked with EMI and George Martin in the 60s, and went on to collaborate with Apple artist Cilla Black and do a lot of film scoring.

2. As far as a direct Beatle link, I'll hazard that he played the harp on "She's Leaving Home" and/or

3. Clarinet on "When I'm 64" only because I know he played harp and clarinet, worked with Martin at the time, and we have been rather beating up on the Pepper trivia.

1. right.

2. wrong

3. wrong

he played something on something... and there is a significance to that beyond his mere playing ...

the answer still awaits....

(bonus points for mentioning Cilla Black - I always liked her)

OK, here's one for you, in the Pepper vein... Who was the first artist the Beatles saw do a live cover of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (the song)? Hint: it was done the week the album came out and completely floored the lads.

Jimi Hendrix, the Sunday following the Friday release, at the Saville Theatre.

Jimi Hendrix, the Sunday following the Friday release, at the Saville Theatre.

Yes that is correct - very good (*grumble*)

John Scott played the flute solo on "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away." Not a Pepper-related trivia question, mind you. Not sure what the significance beyond the playing the something on the something is.

OK then... How did Ringo's tonsils - or lack thereof - contribute to Sgt. Pepper?

And where's Hammerhead when you need him? :D

John Scott played the flute solo on "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away." Not a Pepper-related trivia question, mind you. Not sure what the significance beyond the playing the something on the something is.

Correct. On 2-18-65 played alto flute and then tenor flute as an overdub. He was the first nonBeatle to be asked to play on a Beatles record. When Love Me Do was recorded with Andy White on drums on 9-11-62, Ringo was just joining and not really yet a part of the group.

As for

OK then... How did Ringo's tonsils - or lack thereof - contribute to Sgt. Pepper?
I have no knowledge. I will guess it had to lead to the opening words of track 2, "what would you do if I sang out tune." which was recorded and mixed March 29-31 and April 7 1967 but written by John and Paul beforehand as the song for Ringo and always conceptualized to flow without break from track 1.

Back to you: who were Tony Gilbert, Sidney Sax, Francisco Gabarro, and Kennth Essex.

Extra credit because it means nothing:

And where's Hammerhead when you need him?
What did I do because of the presence of Hammerhead in our lives?

He was the first nonBeatle to be asked to play on a Beatles record

That is really quite cool. I'll have to make room for that one in the mental hard drive.

Back to you: who were Tony Gilbert, Sidney Sax, Francisco Gabarro, and Kennth Essex.

I'll have to get back to you on that one tomorrow... or... maybe... Yesterday. :D

(ad hoc string quartet for the recording session)

Extra credit because it means nothing:  What did I do because of the presence of Hammerhead in our lives?

I dunno, had a bit of fun?

I'm going to leave the Ringo question out there in case Mr. Johnson drops by. The With A Little Help From My Friends line was 'not what the judges were looking for' (as Wilburaga of the Archana would say). It's more along the lines of song inspiration ala' the cereal commercial and Good Morning Good Morning.

Hammerheads anwer: picked up a book with each and every recording session the Beatles ever did detailed.

Yes to the ad hoc string quartet on Yesterday.

Not what the judges were looking for? :crying

What song did Bach's Brandenburg Concerto Number 2 in F Major influence? Because is not an answer, this is a Beatles question, not a solo John question.