Post ya favorite Beatles song:

Be Good

Hammerheads anwer: picked up a book with each and every recording session the Beatles ever did detailed.

Yes to the ad hoc string quartet on Yesterday.

Not what the judges were looking for?  :crying

What song did Bach's Brandenburg Concerto Number 2 in F Major influence?  Because is not an answer, this is a Beatles question, not a solo John question.

Is that the book "Beatles: In the Studio" or something like that out on the shelves now? I have seen that and am slavering over it. My B-Day is tomorrow and maybe the wife has picked up the clue's.

The Brandenburg deal I do know, mostly because I love that Penny Lane trumpet solo as much as any session man's contribution to the Beatle albums (Billy Preston's Get Back electric piano brilliance is probably the only other thing that comes close for me). Dave Mason (a different one, all you boring oldie oldsters) played the solo after Paul saw him perform the Bach piece in question. Mason did a bunch more session stuff with the Beatles, including "All You Need is Love", "Magical Mystery Tour", and probably others I'm forgetting.

You seriously need to pop in that Rutles CD-R and listen to the song "Doubleback Alley." It has a great homage piccolo trumpet solo nearly as good as the Penny Lane one.

As for "Because," it was backwards Beethoven (Moonlight Sonata) and not Bach that inspired the piano arpeggios there.

OK, I think I've run out of Pepper trivia. On to the White Album (there is another great looking book out now dedicated just to those sessions). Who provided the inspiration for "Martha My Dear"? And, did you know it before you picked up that cheaterly li'l book? :D

(You know, I bet Mason did the trumpet part on Martha too, come to think of it.)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Because comment was to steer you away from Because, not realizing you were a Penny Lane expert. The Moonlight Sonata is well know but I should have realized that to you all classical music is not the same so you needed no steering away from hint.

I call it a book for education so I can learn more of the Hammerhead tracks, you call it a "cheaterly" book, it is cheating only if you think education is cheating. :lol:

The book is at home. Want to stick to White Album while I am at work? We'll have a barkingly good time, Pauls' sheepdog might say. Besides the book is not so much a "why" but a "what" book but fdascinating because there is so much what. Lots of explanations as to how the songs developed from introduction to released version. Astoundingly good stuff. I am not sure the Martha My Dear story would be there as to inspiration but when I get to the White Album sessions I am sure that it will tell us who played what instrument and how that song took shape - since it does that for every thing. (The book is slanted a tad Paul's way.)

Who was "Prudence?"

Who was "Prudence?"

Rosemary's Baby Sister? :D

That is to say, Mia Farrow's younger sister Prudence, who did the Maharishi thing in 1968 with Mia, Jgger, the lads et al. They mention this in interview material in Anthology i think.

I've also heard the Prudence explanation varyingly incorrectly given as both John's fairly tormented mother Julia (positively the inspiration for the White album song of the same name) and his Aunt Mamie who pretty much raised him. Both are bunk, of course.

Meatball time, on a related topic: Who was Sexy Saidie?

Some Beatles trivia for cw or anyone else:

(If anyone gets all of these correct, I'll give them a cookie. I don't think there will be any cookies given out though.)

- Who was the first manager of the Beatles?

- In what year did the recording of the first Beatles single take place?

- What is the title of the song that was supposed to be the follow up to Love Me Do, but was never actually recorded by the Beatles?

- What is the name of the only home that was ever shared by all four Beatles and what year did they live in that home together?

- What artist toured Britain with The Beatles from May to June in 1963?

- What drummer filled in for Ringo on the June 1964 tour of Europe, Hong Kong and Australia?

- Which Beatle song featured the first use of intentional feedback?

- Who directed Help?

- What two artists are covered three times each by the Beatles, which is the most any artist was covered by the Beatles.

- How many versions of Strawberry Fields Forever were mixed to get the final version which was released?

- In the song "A Day in the Life" a woman dying in a car crash is mentioned, what is the name of the woman (she is a real person) for which this reference is meant to relate to?

There are a few, I've got plenty more if anyone wants some...

Now, get to work... :lol:

Rosemary's Baby Sister?  :D

That is to say, Mia Farrow's younger sister Prudence, who did the Maharishi thing in 1968 with Mia, Jgger, the lads et al.  They mention this in interview material in Anthology i think.

I've also heard the Prudence explanation varyingly incorrectly given as both John's fairly tormented mother Julia (positively the inspiration for the White album song of the same name) and his Aunt Mamie who pretty much raised him.  Both are bunk, of course.

Meatball time, on a related topic:  Who was Sexy Saidie?

Prudence was of course Mia Farrow's sister and Sexie was the randy Mararishi.

Favorite Beatle songs, by album:

(cw and 2k4 I want your lists as well) :headbang

Please Please Me: I Saw Her Standing There

Explanation: While this is arguably the worst album the Beatles made, this song starts things off well and gets your attention straight from the get go.

With The Beatles: Don't Bother Me

Explanation: First song George wrote on his own to appear on an album, this is where I feel George coming into his own.

A Hard Day's Night: Anytime At All

Explanation: John and Paul together, to me this is one of their best efforts both singing lead together.

Beatles For Sale: I'm a Loser

Explanation: While this album is usually written off as subpar, which in parts it is under Beatle standard, it has produced this song which I feel is a vastly underrated John song.

Help!: You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

Explanation: Another underrated John song, this song gets my nod from this album, which wasn't one of their better efforts in my opinion.

Rubber Soul: In My Life

Explanation: No explanation needed; this is just one of the great Beatle songs that everytime you listen to it, it makes you reflect on things in your life and that to me, is what makes this song so valuable.

Revolver: Here, There and Everywhere

Explanation: Particularly hard to pick a favorite from this album because I love it top to bottom, so I just picked the song in which I would pick if I had to choose one from all of them. Probably the best Paul song besides Yesterday.

Sgt. Pepper: She's Leaving Home

Explanation: This pick may surprise people, but the instruments and the lyrics in this song are powerful to my ears. I think it showed a new side of the Beatles musically, which is something I can appreciate.

The White Album: While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Explanation: George Harrison at his best as a Beatle (besides maybe Something). Enough said. The Clapton guitar solo was also amazing.

Let It Be: Across the Universe

Explanation: This is probably my least favorite album (besides Please Please Me) and I feel this is the strongest song on the album and in a way, it doesn't belong with some of the other junk they placed on this album.

Abbey Road: You Never Give Me Your Money/Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam/etc.

Explanation: Everything stringing together to end their last album...Simply Amazing. To you Beatle amateurs, you should listen to this sequence of Abbey Road, it will blow you away.

(If anyone gets all of these correct, I'll give them a cookie.  I don't think there will be any cookies given out though.)

- What is the title of the song that was supposed to be the follow up to Love Me Do, but was never actually recorded by the Beatles?

- What is the name of the only home that was ever shared by all four Beatles and what year did they live in that home together?

- What drummer filled in for Ringo on the June 1964 tour of Europe, Hong Kong and Australia?

- Who directed Help?

- What two artists are covered three times each by the Beatles, which is the most any artist was covered by the Beatles.

- How many versions of Strawberry Fields Forever were mixed to get the final version which was released?

- In the song "A Day in the Life" a woman dying in a car crash is mentioned, what is the name of the woman (she is a real person) for which this reference is meant to relate to?

Wow Aboz, these are good! Here's what I got off the top of me head:

Alan Williams

Going out on a limb, my guess would be "My Bonnie" b/w "The Saints", recorded with Tony Sheridan in 1962. Credited as TS with the Beatles in the UK, but as "TS and the Beat Brothers" in the US release.

57 Green Street, Summer 1963. I don't know if there was another name for it.

Jimmy Nichol. And this is the missing part of my earlier Ringo's tonsils/Sgt. Pepper question.

"I feel Fine". The feedback was not a coke bottle on a guitar amplifier as popular Beatle mythology would have you believe.

Who directed Help?

Richard Lester, who also did A Hard Day's Night.

Trivia back at you. Who was originally hired to write the screenplay for the movie that became Help!, what was the title going to be, and what became of that screenplay???

That's all I can get without digging in to look up the answers.

I'd guess Carl Perkins and/or Buddy Holly and/or Chuck Berry and or Little Richard for the thrice covered question, but I have to think about it a bit.

Thanks for the questions!!!

(If anyone gets all of these correct, I'll give them a cookie.  I don't think there will be any cookies given out though.)

- Who directed Help?

being at work, I am only going off of memory - I'd nail these if I were at home

Richard Lester of course directed Help, the drummer was Jimmy somebody, I Feel Fine is the first use of intentional feedback that I can recall (Paul one repeated bass note, John on the feedback), Carl Perkins has got to onme of the artists covered twice and Little Richard may well be the answer to two of your questions, Brian Epstein (except if Alan Klien or someone is a ringer here), and for recording, there were demos and all, but I'd go with 1962 as my guess there.

Trivia back at you.  Who was originally hired to write the screenplay for the movie that became Help!, what was the title going to be, and what became of that screenplay???

I don't know, but I'd be interested to know, surprisingly enough, we didn't go over that in the Beatles class I took at IU. That is where I learned most of my so-called trivia. :P

BTW, for anyone interested in that class, check out this link...I believe they are actually going to England this summer for a course over there...What fun that would be.

http://www.music.indiana.edu/som/courses/rock/beatles.html

Beatles only did one Buddy Holly cover, Words of Love

So you don't include the 'Beeb' sessions? They did Crying Waiting Hoping for the BBC broadcasts.

They also did a buttload of Carl Perkins and Chuck Berry in the BBC sessions and at least 3 Little Richard tunes I can think of (Lucile, Hey! Hey Hey!, Dizzy Miss Lizzy). So unless Aboz is sticking with just EMI/Parlaphone/Capitol/Apple releases, those three all have 3 or more covered by the beatles. I'm going to go with Berry for the most covered of all.

was that the Joe Orton script?

Yes it was, well done. Poor dead Mr. Orton's script later became the basis for the the Musical "Up Against It", commissioned by the NY Public Theater (the Shakespear Festival folks), and scored, composed, and libretted (hey I made up a word) by my man Mr. Todd Rundgren. Much Gilbert and Sullivan than Beatles, major Beatle-Head though he is.

Great music, a few of the songs appeared on Todd releases, others showed up at concerts (saw him a week ago today and I'm still floating), and I finally got all his demo versions on a Japaneese import CD at great expense off og eBay last month.

The working title of the film, now made semi-famous as a Veruca Salt album and Beatles book, was "Eight Arms to Hold You."

Joe Orton had fun in his time but died poorly. Always pick your lovers well, I always say.

Aboz: your description of Please Please Me as the worst is uh, something I strongly disagree with. We are in the world of English vs US releases anyway here but I fear that those who were not alive then and did not know the music then can't evaluate that properly. It was revolutionary and it ought be rated far higher than you do. You also omit Hey Jude, Magical Mytsery Tour and Yellow Submarine and never knew some of the more fun compliations, like Rock and Roll Music and Love Songs.

Of course if I master the disc burning process I will send you a copy of Hey Jude the album.

I still intend to send you and Jim and others the alt Hey Jude stuff I got.

He has a cheaterly book, you see.  :)

it is called many resources!!!!!!!!!

I suppose no one here ever went to a library or bought books??????? Trivia question: what is a library???????

I hope your wife buys you a photo history of Kiss for that comment. :P

Toss a few easy ones: Julia was written about:

who actually recorded (were the musicians on, who actaully played) Why Don't We Do It in the Road.

In earlier versions, where did Rocky Racoon live?

I just checked my Anthology 1 CDs and "That'll Be the Day" is right there.  So HOW MANY Buddy Holly tunes did the Beatles cover again?  :P

released as an official Beatles release or just an Anthology find as you cheaterly use your cheaterly cds?

I still maintain, in their lives, the only Buddy Holly song released on vinyl was Words of Love unless you can supply more info.

released as an official Beatles release or just an Anthology find as you cheaterly using your cheaterly cds?

I still maintain, in their lives, the only Buddy Holly song released on vinyl was Words of Love unless you can supply more info.

Just giving you grief on the book out of envy...

Re the Buddy Holly, Aboz original question merely asks about songs covered and does not delimit the releases to be considered in the answer. I'm sure he did mean songs appearing on official releases during the 1963-1970 period, but this is trivia after all and I was trying to hit the Holly stuff I knew they had done. I'm sure thee are some more things from the Cavern Club era as well.

Julia - John's mother as stated earlier - who suffered from depression her whole life, abandoned John, and eventually killed herself.

In the Road - Paul and Ringo in Abbay Road studio #3, and I only know that from the bit of the Paul interview on the Hammerhead compilation.

Rocky Raccoon - dammit, I can hear that demo in my head and I remembered being tickle when I heard a state other than South Dakota.... Aaargh!!! Illinois or Indiana?!?

not Indiana, not Illinois

not even sure it is South Dakota.  I think it is just Dakota. Black mining hills of Dakota would be South Dakota but I think Paul only says Dakota, not South.

Arrrgh! How about California? I know it was supposed to be his western song. I think the lyric is Black Mountain hills, not black mining hills, but you are right there is no directional reference to which of the Dakotas is being referenced.

Two Rocky-related trivia questions.

1) How does the doctor 'stinking of gin' tie into the whole Paul is Dead hoax mythology?

2) Where was the song written, and what non-Beatle helped come up with the lyrics (uncredited)?

Boy, this sure beats doing the work I'm supposed to be doing... :D