5/13 Games

danman31

W L PCT ERA  WHIP G GS CG SH SV IP H  R ER HR SO BB BK WP HB

5 0 1.000 0.00 0.59 6 5    2 2  0 37.1 19 0 0  0 30  3    0 1 3

Those are Thompsons stats in case you missed the link provided. Insane is right. Unbelievably, Munoz is being outdone so far this year, lol

I found this on ESPN about Thompson

Thompson's numbers for Double-A Tennessee are off the charts right now: 37.1 innings, 19 hits allowed, three walks, 30 strikeouts, and zero runs allowed, earned or otherwise. He's 5-0 in five starts, with a 0.00 ERA. Obviously it can't get better than that.

The Cardinals drafted Thompson in the 16th round in 2002, out of Dixie Junior College in Utah. He spent 2003 in the bullpen at Class A Peoria, posting a 2.91 ERA and a 43/10 K/BB ratio in 65 innings, allowing 70 hits. His control was very impressive, but his K/IP and H/IP rates were below average. I gave him a Grade C in my book this year, a standard grade for an effective Class A pitcher who doesn't burn radar guns.

Thompson pitched well in the Arizona Fall League, earning his way to Double-A for 2004. Used as a starter this season, he's shown he can pound the lower half of the strike zone with his 88-92 mph sinking fastball. He also has an excellent slider, and has added an effective changeup now that he's a starter.

You have to be impressed by what he's done this year. At some point he'll give up some runs, of course, but 37 scoreless innings do wonders padding the ERA. While Thompson doesn't have as much pure stuff as Wainwright or Haren, if he stays healthy and maintains this sort of command, he could be a very fine middle rotation starter, at least in a Brad Radke sort of way, and possibly better than that.