What the hell is the matter with Marte?

NUKE_CLEVELAND

He's starting off awfully slow this season after a brilliant year last year. Any possible explanations out there?

Some people hav said a lack of velocity possibly, or that just because he's signed a long term deal, he's goin to suck like Konerko. I think he'll turn it around soon enough, but we should be thankful we hav sum1 like Shingo to step in as a set - up man.

Some people hav said a lack of velocity possibly, or that just because he's signed a long term deal, he's goin to suck like Konerko. I think he'll turn it around soon enough, but we should be thankful we hav sum1 like Shingo to step in as a set - up man.

Its not velocity for god sakes. Slow starters usually catch on. Marte is a slow starter. Perhaps the league has figured his delivery out. No panic there, just some adjustments...

His problem yesterday was control. Those 2 walks killed him. Whether or not he was getting squeezed...personally, I didn't think the calls were too bad...however, Joe Nathan should not have gotten that call on the 3-2 pitch to Harris. The thing I hate most about baseball when it happens is inconsistent umping. If you are going to give a pitch 6-inches outside to one pitcher, you have to give that call to every pitcher, with no exceptions.

His problem yesterday was control.  Those 2 walks killed him.  Whether or not he was getting squeezed...personally, I didn't think the calls were too bad...however, Joe Nathan should not have gotten that call on the 3-2 pitch to Harris.  The thing I hate most about baseball when it happens is inconsistent umping.  If you are going to give a pitch 6-inches outside to one pitcher, you have to give that call to every pitcher, with no exceptions.

I thought Marte was getting squeezed too but I couldn't really tell from the angle I was sitting at.

Also, the 3-2 pitch to Willie was indeed a ball? I thought it was.

I would just like to add that I dont think a 2.95 ERA is awful.... not everyone is perfect every outing

Marte likes to pad his stats with good performances in games that don't matter --

He Had more blown saves last season than Billy Koch --

And leads the ML in Blown saves this season.

Whether or not he was getting squeezed...personally, I didn't think the calls were too bad...however, Joe Nathan should not have gotten that call on the 3-2 pitch to Harris.  The thing I hate most about baseball when it happens is inconsistent umping.

Agreed. If those two questionable calls, to Hawk atleast (I thought they were balls), are balls for Marte then a pitch 6 inches off the plate in the same location to Harris should be a ball for Nathan too.