Sosa sidelined after sneezes

Outfielder is day-to-day with back spasms

By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- This was nothing to sneeze at.

Sammy Sosa sneezed once, then twice, and was knocked out of the Chicago Cubs' lineup Sunday because of back spasms.

"Some things in life you cannot control," Sosa said.

The Cubs right fielder arrived in the clubhouse Sunday morning, and as he undressed he sneezed once, then again. After the second time, he doubled over, holding onto the back of his chair in obvious pain. Sosa joked about it, but then went into the trainer's room for treatment and was scratched from the starting lineup.

"It would be better if I would've hit off the wall or we had a fight with somebody, but geez," Sosa said.

He's had spasms before but couldn't recall a time when he was sidelined by a sneeze.

"Everybody has problems with their neck sometimes," Sosa said, "but not like that. We'll see what happens."

Sosa had homered in both games at PETCO Park on Friday and Saturday, notching his 10th of the season and No. 549 of his career on Saturday night. He will benefit from Monday's off day and was listed as day-to-day. Todd Hollandsworth started in right field on Sunday.

"If I'm ready, I'll play, and if I'm not ready, I won't play," Sosa said. "Whenever I feel 100 percent I'll be back. I got a lot of treatment today. Some of the things that you never expect to happen, happens. We're only human. The only thing you can do is sit back and relax and wait. You're talking about the back."

He was armed with a couple heat packs for the plane ride back to Chicago on Sunday night. The Cubs play host to San Francisco on Tuesday.

Sosa has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games, going 15-for-43 (.349) with a double, five homers and 13 RBIs in that stretch. He ranks ninth on the all-time home run list at 549. Next up is Reggie Jackson at 563.

But the pain was on his mind Sunday. He struggled to get dressed after the game and anyone who has had back problems can relate to how difficult bending over and putting on a pair of socks can be.

"I don't feel too good," Sosa said. "What can you do?

I'd like to see Shammy sneeze next time he does the hop.  ;)

Sosa is just like Martin Gramitica of the Tampa Bay f***s. You all know him, the little runt placekicker who celebrates like he won the superbowl when he hits a chipshot field goal with 7:43 left in the 1st quarter.

One of these days Sosa is going to do his little hop & then fall & bust his ass & I'm gonna crack the hell up when it happens.

Sosa is just like Martin Gramitica of the Tampa Bay f***s.  You all know him, the little runt placekicker who celebrates like he won the superbowl when he hits a chipshot field goal with 7:43 left in the 1st quarter.

One of these days Sosa is going to do his little hop & then fall & bust his ass & I'm gonna crack the hell up when it happens.

We're all waitin for the day believe me. ;) :lol:

Sosa is just like Martin Gramitica of the Tampa Bay f***s.  You all know him, the little runt placekicker who celebrates like he won the superbowl when he hits a chipshot field goal with 7:43 left in the 1st quarter.

Wasn't it his brother who torn his acl or something celebrating after making a meaningless field goal for the Cardinals?

I'll take him hopping and then seeing the ball caught in an OFers glove short of the warning track.