Who is the best baseball announcer???

WSoxShuf

That's a tough one because I havent been able to listen to the announcers from every team but if I had to pick from the ones I have heard from I'd have to go with Vin Scully out in LA.  He was great when he was with them.

I really like Vin Scully.

Chris Berman:huh

Anyone else enjoy "You can put it on the board....GONE!" :headshake

You know, Chris Berman is great on NFL Priiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime time but he really needs to stay away from baseball. He is terrible at calling the games & he knows nothing about the sport.

You know, Chris Berman is great on NFL Priiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime time but he really needs to stay away from baseball.  He is terrible at calling the games &  he knows nothing about the sport.

I feel like Berman works too hard on creating those damn ass backwards nicknames.

I feel like Berman works too hard on creating those damn ass backwards nicknames.

Him & Tom Jackson make a dynamite team on NFL Prime time cause not only do they both know Pro football really well but they are funny as hell to boot. Outside of Pro-football though, Berman doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

TV or Radio

I'll make a small list of worst and Best IMO. TV or Radio

Best:

Vin Scully

John Rooney

Spaceman Bill Lee (Expos Color man on Radio) I think he's wacky

Mel Allen

Joe Buck

Harry Carey (In his good times)

Steve Stone (Not the best but not bad, knows the game, shuts up trap mouth Chimp)

Jon Miller

Gary Thorne (Ex Sox and now mets, Great at hockey)

Worst:

Chip

Joe Carter

Chris Berman

Rick Sutcliffe

Steve Lyons

Tony Gwynn (whinny Voice)

Harold Reynolds

Joe Morgan (Thinks he knows it all)

Tim Mccarver

Jim Kaat

Ron Santo

Susan Whatever her name is for the yanks

TV or Radio for Gary Thorne.

I love him during Hockey games.

TV. Hawk spend some time with the Yanks after being fired as GM. In the Early 80's Hawk did the games With Don Drysdale (Whom was his best friend until Drysdale passed a few years back) I remember that game when he got the wire it was on WGN and he says real happy ESPN radio is reporting and he read it and just broke down.

TV. Hawk spend some time with the Yanks after being fired as GM. In the Early 80's Hawk did the games With Don Drysdale (Whom was his best friend until Drysdale passed a few years back) I remember that game when he got the wire it was on WGN and he says real happy ESPN radio is reporting and he read it and just broke down.

Wow I had no idea, thanks for the info.

I agree that Joe Buck is damn good. Jack Buck was one of the best ever.

As far as Joe Morgan goes, he is pretty good. He does know a lot about the game but sometimes his arrogance and racism comes through.

I am not that big of a fan of Joe Buck. Perhaps it is because McCarver bugs the hell out of me and he is by his side, but Buck irritates me.

There are a ton of great ones, many who have already been mentioned and others I cannot think of, but two great ones that come to mind are Ernie Harwell and Harry Calas (sp?).

I agree that Joe Buck is damn good.  Jack Buck was one of the best ever.

As far as Joe Morgan goes, he is pretty good.  He does know a lot about the game but sometimes his arrogance and racism comes through.

I agree about Jack Buck. Even though I didn't like the Cardinals, I enjoyed listening to Jack and Mike Shannon for years.

I agree that Joe Buck is damn good.  Jack Buck was one of the best ever.

As far as Joe Morgan goes, he is pretty good.  He does know a lot about the game but sometimes his arrogance and racism comes through.

Joe Morgan bugs me because the guy never did anything wrong in his career. Sure DJ and Hawk talk a lot about the good things they did, but you also hear about the errors they made, the strikeouts they had, the pitchers they couldn't hit etc. Last I looked Morgan didn't hit 1.000

I'll make a small list of worst and Best IMO. TV or Radio

Best:

Vin Scully

John Rooney

Spaceman Bill Lee (Expos Color man on Radio) I think he's wacky

Mel Allen

Joe Buck

Harry Carey (In his good times)

Steve Stone (Not the best but not bad, knows the game, shuts up trap mouth Chimp)

Jon Miller

Gary Thorne (Ex Sox and now mets, Great at hockey)

Worst:

Chip

Joe Carter

Chris Berman

Rick Sutcliffe

Steve Lyons

Tony Gwynn (whinny Voice)

Harold Reynolds

Joe Morgan (Thinks he knows it all)

Tim Mccarver

Jim Kaat

Ron Santo

Susan Whatever her name is for the yanks

:cheers you can have the remote anytime we're watching a game. I would add Hawk to the list of best along with Bob Uecker .

Some from history I enjoyed include Curt Gowdy and Joe Garagiola

I've grown to like Milo Hamilton after the ScRubs flashbacks stopper :D

And as a childhood thing, Brickhouse. Misty water colored memories.

/hijacked thread

Doesn't baseball allow for the best in announcing? The pacing, the drama, etc. is perfect both for TV and Radio. I do not think an anouncer can do as much with the NFL, NBA, or NHL. But baseball is a great canvas to work on.

/back to thread

/hijacked thread

Doesn't baseball allow for the best in announcing? The pacing, the drama, etc. is perfect both for TV and Radio. I do not think an anouncer can do as much with the NFL, NBA, or NHL. But baseball is a great canvas to work on.

/back to thread

agreed, baseball is really the only sport you can listen to on the radio and know what the hell is going on........