Gammons on Sox trade talks

Guest JimH

well, what in gods name do the Yankees have to offer besides taking the entire contract?

They have no minor league system, and nobody with any trade value whatsoever.

The Yankees are currently the only team interested, and if there offering crap, we can beat crap.

I don't think we'd take the contract..

Randy Johnson LHP ARI Signed Mar 2003 - 2 years/$33M

2004: $16.0M

2005: $16.0M

-Receives additional $1M personal services payment

-$6M deferred each year

Yanks have a catcher down the farm who is supposed to be good, but they hype their guys really well.

If the Yankees are sniffing around him come July, Boston will be as well.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we need more pitching and less righty power hitters. Also, Cattalanoto is an OFer and we don't need that with our OF prospects.

Id still like to see Catalanotto here. He a left handed batter, he is a big break from all the power hitters we have. He is playing very well right now. He can play RF for when we eventually say goodbye to Magglio. Just my opinion.

Am I the only one that is on the Acquire Randall Simon bandwagon?

He's what we need, a contact, power hitter who is left-handed. He helped the Cubs out a ton, probably pretty cheap too.

How's he doing this year though...

CWSOX45

Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling are not the best of freinds, and with Arroyo and Kim as possible 5th starters, aswell as Lenny Dinardo and a few others, the Red Sox will not go after Randy Johnson.

Again, the Yankees are the only team interested, and they have crap to offer..

I was speaking economically only. The White Sox can't afford Johnson. The Red Sox can.

He's what we need, a contact, power hitter who is left-handed. He helped the Cubs out a ton, probably pretty cheap too.

CWSOX45

I've wanted Randall Simon on this team since the offseason, but still the problem is getting rid of pauly.

CWSOX45

I thought I was the only one.

With all the Paul Konerko for Odalis Perez talks in the offseason, I was all for not only that move but also for trading for Simon. He could be exactly what we need to spark the team.

I don't think we'd take the contract..

Randy Johnson LHP ARI Signed Mar 2003 - 2 years/$33M

2004: $16.0M

2005: $16.0M

-Receives additional $1M personal services payment

-$6M deferred each year

Yanks have a catcher down the farm who is supposed to be good, but they hype their guys really well.

If the Yankees are sniffing around him come July, Boston will be as well.

Yea, probably can't afford him.

Dioner Navarro is the catcher who your thinking of, and boy is he crap..

Plus the fact that the Yanks and DBacks dont like eachother might play a role in this whole thing, if anyone remembers during the offseason when they opened their eyes unlike many teams and basically said flat out, you dont give us Soriano, you dont get Schilling.

I thought I was the only one.

With all the Paul Konerko for Odalis Perez talks in the offseason, I was all for not only that move but also for trading for Simon.  He could be exactly what we need to spark the team.

The only problem is is that damn contract of his....GRRRR

CWSOX45

Bensons stats this season - 7 GS, 4.64 ERA, 42.2 IP, 48 Hits, 22 BBs, 29 Ks.

The way Tigers and Tribe are swinging their bats, and we know KC can explode offensively any moment....to say nothing of Red Sox, Rangers, Angels, etc.......That eassily translates to 5.00 ERA.

Then you got a health concern.

And his huge salary.

No, thank you.

The way Tigers and Tribe are swinging their bats, and we know KC can explode offensively any moment....to say nothing of Red Sox, Rangers, Angels, etc.......That eassily translates to 5.00 ERA.

Then you got a health concern.

And his huge salary.

No, thank you.

Reallistically, Brando, who would you like? Honestly? I know you've said things about Randy Johnson and Roy Halladay, but in all likelihood, that won't happen. Who would you like, and what would you give up, to get a realistic fifth starter who can perform on the south side?

Reallistically, Brando, who would you like?  Honestly?  I know you've said things about Randy Johnson and Roy Halladay, but in all likelihood, that won't happen.  Who would you like, and what would you give up, to get a realistic fifth starter who can perform on the south side?

Something realistic that seems like an excellent option is trading Konerko or Lee in a type of trade that also has us bringing back some salary in return, similar to that of the Perez/Konerko deal that was being discussed this offseason.

Something realistic that seems like an excellent option is trading Konerko or Lee in a type of trade that also has us bringing back some salary in return, similar to that of the Perez/Konerko deal that was being discussed this offseason.

PK in untradeable I think at this point, I wish the sox could get rid of him for anything in the world. The offense needs to be dismantled. Two of maggs, hurt, pk, and carlos must go, I would love it to be pk and carlos but that would be real hard. The only two people in this lineup that have earned anything this year are uribe and willie and they are the only two guys in the lineup who don't swing for the fences. I absolutely love those two at the top of the lineup and absolutely hate the rest of the lineup.

ive said it before but instead of odalis perez or whatevr i think we should get oliver perez he is on a losing team that know they arent going anywhere in the near feauture so im pretty sure we could get him with only losing a couple prospects maybe and he is young and talented good to have in are core of young pitchers for next year 2..... buehrle garland cotts and perez would give us 4 starting pitchers for years to come.

ive said it before but instead of odalis perez or whatevr i think we should get oliver perez he is on a losing team that know they arent going anywhere in the near feauture so im pretty sure we could get him with only losing a couple prospects maybe and he is young and talented good to have in are core of young pitchers for next year 2..... buehrle garland cotts and perez would give us 4 starting pitchers for years to come.

To rebuild you keep your young, cheap, good, talented players you don't trade them. If your rebuilding you trade guys in the last years of their contracts or older players for prospects, the pirates would never trade Oliver.

Yea, come on man.. They traded Brian Giles for him, they clearly think he's the real deal.

To rebuild you keep your young, cheap, good, talented players you don't trade them.  If your rebuilding you trade guys in the last years of their contracts or older players for prospects, the pirates would never trade Oliver.

Exactly.

Though they would trade him. We'd have to overpay like crazy for a young, inconsistent LH starter when we have someone similar to him in AA right now in Arnie Munoz.

If we trade for a good young starter while having to overpay, go out and get Ben Sheets. He could be the Josh Beckett of 2004.

It may be a little early but with the way the Twins are playing and the Tribe coming on fast - I think it's do or die time now.

That means Ozzie needs to come up with a lineup tomorrow night and stick with it. He's starting to act like Manuel with all the ridiculous lineup changes. He's been watching Rowand, Crede, Konerko, CLee, Valentin play for almost 3 months. I don't care how much money they're making - Ozzie and KW need to make a DECISION!!

The one unfortunate problem is the Sox do not have the ability to increase the payroll much because they are over budget.

That leads me to believe that when KW says he wants a left handed bat with some pop, that he feels that bat is currently on the roster. I have a strong feeling that Ross Gload is that bat and that he plans on moving or at least trying to move Konerko for pitching help. The problem is it will be tough to get a quality pitcher for Konerko because of PK's contract. However if the Sox give up a solid prospect and take on a good pitcher who has a bit of a contract, it may just be a possibility.

The other potential bat is Jeremy Reed although I don't see him up here quite yet. I also think Jose may very well be on the block. So if you ask me, Jose and/or Konerko will be on the move for a starting pitcher and I think they will then move Gload to the starting position at 1st and then eventually add Reed for cf, imo.