Felix Diaz

NUKE_CLEVELAND

I think part of the problem is that we have a scewed view on how things are elsewhere. Heck, anytime we see a fresh pitcher straight out of the minors, they shut us down and make us look like little league players. So obviously we think that is how every minor league pitcher is supposed to play. :rolleyes:

He has an ERA of 11.00.    How f***ing more "terrible" can you get?!

Fuerhermore, his stuff was not very Pedro-esque as advertised, either, so it's not as if he ran into bad luck.  He was awful. 

I am not even sure if he deserves another start.

stats don't tell everything, he's pitched around 8 in. (i think) and been solid for at least 6. That's not bad for a 23 y.o. His bad innings also weren't HUGE. 3 runs isn't a huge inning.

Yes diaz hasn't been impressive, but in no way has he been terrible.  He's settled down after giving up his runs, things could be alot worse.  I say give him at least one more start.......

Everyone's right. No need for name calling. I just don't think that the kid Diaz is ready. Do we give him another chance? Mixed feelingsa bout that. If he fails again we may lose another game including in the dstandings. Can we continue to kep sticking someone in the #5 spot with no wins to show for it? I think we should bring up someone else. DFiaz just needs more seasoning.

Ozzie made a comment after the first game that Diaz was better than Wright. I was at a lose to figure out where Ozzie got that idea. Diaz hasn't lasted through 5 innings and has given up 10 or 11 runs including 4 homers in his debut. Maybe the encouraging thing was he didn't give up any homers in start #2.

His first start he threw strikes and got hit hard. His second he tried to locate and got hit hard.

3 days rest as opposed to Garland on three days rest, sounds like we were somewhat conceding this game anyway.

I am not sure about this guys stuff anyway. He threw his breaking balls up and I don't think he was in the 90's all that often with his fastball.

His next start is definitly make or break, oh and it is against the Twins. A trade needs to be made ASAP.

He pitched on 3 days rest.. for his SECOND start... I think he deserves one more start before sending him back, sitting here saying he sucks balls and is an asshole makes no sense what so ever.. How can you call him an asshole?

He is a rookie, sorry he didnt come right in and strike out 15 and throw a no hitter, he just needs experiance.. thats all

His first start he threw strikes and got hit hard.  His second he tried to locate and got hit hard.

3 days rest as opposed to Garland on three days rest, sounds like we were somewhat conceding this game anyway. 

I am not sure about this guys stuff anyway.  He threw his breaking balls up and I don't think he was in the 90's all that often with his fastball.

His next start is definitly make or break, oh and it is against the Twins.  A trade needs to be made ASAP.

His heater went from 88 to 93. The odd thing was, at 93 his fastball had way more life then at 88. The few times I saw him really fire, he really had a damn good fastball cause it had some sick action to it. He also had a nice slider, when he didn't leave it up.

It seems like he just has to continue with perfecting a consistent release point on his pitches, especially the breaking pitch. I also think he may still have a little strengthening left to his arm, since he didn't really start all that much last season (I think he had like 18 starts in the minors, off the top of my head).

Pitched on three days rest

Diaz does have some mechanical flaws (falling off to the first base side a ton), but this was his 2nd start. He'll be fine, and it's either him or maybe Rauch because Munoz will not be called up.

Guest JimH

Jason,

One other thing Diaz needs to work on, and that's hiding the ball a little better.

He falls off to the 1st base side and that makes it so much easier for the hitters to figure out what's coming and to time the pitches.

The Orioles did it, the Indians did it last nite too.

I'd suspect the Twins could do it.

I don't know, that fastball of his looked pretty straight to me.

The weird thing is Jim your right. Sometimes his heater had absolutely no life and other times it had Colon like life (not Colon like velocity).

One of the first things I noticed were hitters were flat sitting and ripping his fastball. Good pickup on him falling off the mound and I did notice he was showing the ball quite long. Also, he was throwing too many fastballs early and not mixing his pitches.

I'd let Olivo catch Buehrle or Scho one of these days and let Sandy catch a game or two for Diaz.

The weird thing is Jim your right.  Sometimes his heater had absolutely no life and other times it had Colon like life (not Colon like velocity). 

One of the first things I noticed were hitters were flat sitting and ripping his fastball.  Good pickup on him falling off the mound and I did notice he was showing the ball quite long.  Also, he was throwing too many fastballs early and not mixing his pitches.

I'd let Olivo catch Buehrle or Scho one of these days and let Sandy catch a game or two for Diaz.

Don't let Olivo catch Mark, he's pitched well his past two and he only wants Sandy catching him from what I understand. Sandy should be able to catch twice a week and for now, let him catch Mark and Diaz.

His heater went from 88 to 93.  The odd thing was, at 93 his fastball had way more life then at 88.  The few times I saw him really fire, he really had a damn good fastball cause it had some sick action to it.  He also had a nice slider, when he didn't leave it up.

It seems like he just has to continue with perfecting a consistent release point on his pitches, especially the breaking pitch.  I also think he may still have a little strengthening left to his arm, since he didn't really start all that much last season (I think he had like 18 starts in the minors, off the top of my head).

Shall we say one more start? If he can't produce a quality start against the Twins, you can't trot him out there anymore.

Rauch is next in line.

I think a lot of what happens Saturday depends on the first two games of the series...We've got Loz and Mark starting out the series and to me those games are essential, if you win those two, you feel a bit better about letting Diaz go, but if you don't, maybe you do give someone else the call to take the ball, perhaps Cotts on a strict pitch count?

Shall we say one more start?    If he can't produce a quality start against the Twins, you can't trot him out there anymore.

Rauch is next in line.

Screw Rauch; Cotts, a trade, or Grilli if Diaz struggles again. I don't think Rauch will ever get a shot with the Sox, just my 2 cents.

But yes, I think Minny will be the last straw if he struggles.

Screw Rauch; Cotts, a trade, or Grilli if Diaz struggles again.  I don't think Rauch will ever get a shot with the Sox, just my 2 cents. 

But yes, I think Minny will be the last straw if he struggles.

Grilli?! The guy has been pretty worthless in AAA, while Rauch is actually having

a solid season.

Cotts is not stretched out, he is needed in the pen.

The only reason why Rauch may never get a shot is becasue, well, this organization is and has always been run by f***ing idiots. Wright is not it. Diaz is not it (yet). Rauch needs to be tested for a couple of starts to see if he's got it. If he pulls a Diaz and chokes, then Cotts willl be the emergency starter.

I just want to see the Sox let Diaz get his shot if they aren't going to add someone.

Everyone whined and complained about Harris and from the get go I said give him a month or a month and a half of consistent playing time and then be the judge.

Finally the Sox did that and it looks as if they may have a pretty damn good leadoff hitter in him.

I see that same type of ability in Diaz and I think if we give him a few more shots, he could prove to be a valuable 5th starter. However, I'm on the Freddy Garcia bandwagon.

I would rather see Cotts stay in the pen. I think leaving soft tossers with marginal control in the bullpen helps them settle down, Buehrle spent the second half of 2000 in the Sox pen, why not leave Cotts in there.

I think Diaz needs some more time with the Knights. I say call up Mr. Rauch, if he doesn't work out, then we have to explore other options.

Our deficiencies in finding a fifth starter has really gotten on my nerves. I think Stewart has actually shown the most potential of all of our fifth starters in the past few years. He seemed to pitch a lot better than that 5.96 ERA indicates.

He pitched on 3 days rest.. for his SECOND start... I think he deserves one more start before sending him back, sitting here saying he sucks balls and is an asshole makes no sense what so ever.. How can you call him an asshole?

He is a rookie, sorry he didnt come right in and strike out 15 and throw a no hitter, he just needs experiance.. thats all

That's what they said about Scott Ruffcorn :lol:

Ok then. Right now he's little more than a tee ball stand to MLB hitting so he needs to go use that one way greyhound ticket in cargo class to get back to Charlotte & fix his problems. The way he is now he's a liability.

I just want to see the Sox let Diaz get his shot if they aren't going to add someone. 

Everyone whined and complained about Harris and from the get go I said give him a month or a month and a half of consistent playing time and then be the judge. 

Finally the Sox did that and it looks as if they may have a pretty damn good leadoff hitter in him. 

I see that same type of ability in Diaz and I think if we give him a few more shots, he could prove to be a valuable 5th starter.  However, I'm on the Freddy Garcia bandwagon.

I wanted Wright out last May. Since the NYC start, I didn't care if it's Diaz, Cotts, whomever. So I don't question the Diaz move at all. He's just not ready mentally.

As far as Harris.....For every Harris, there are 5 Greg Nortons.

Freddy Garcia would be nice. The problem? Seattle wouldn't take Konerko or Koch or Valentin. Sox can't take on salary, nor will they ever give up Sweeney, Reed, Anderson or Honel.

Scott Ruffcorn (1994): 2 G, 6.2 IP; 15 H; 10 BB; 2 K; 12.72 ERA

Felix Diaz: 2 G; 8.2 IP; 15 H; 4 BB; 3 K; 11.42 ERA

Diaz has better control, but Ruffcorn must have more saavy. Ruffcorn posted a similar ERA despite walking 6 more batters in 2 less innings.

I hope his name doesn't give Sox fans horrible flash backs.

I don't think Diaz was hyped quite like Ruffcorn though.

Not at all, which is why Ruffcorn will always be worse in my mind, no matter how poorly Diaz performs.

Unlike Ruffcorn, Diaz has a chance to turn this thing around.

If it makes anyone feel better, Nolan Ryan's ERA was 15.00 after his first two games.