Who is the greatest Closer of All time

Who is the greatest closer in MLB History  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest closer in MLB History

• Lee Smith (478 svs; 3.03 ERA)
    • Trevor Hoffman (352 svs; 2.78 ERA)
    • Mariano Rivera (283 svs; 2.49 ERA)
    • Dennis Eckersley (390 svs; 3.50 ERA; 360 starts)
    • Hoyt Wilhelm (227 svs; 2.52 ERA)
    • Other

Gagne went a full season last year without a blown save.  That is easily the best season ever for a closer.  Easily.

I don't know how I forgot to include that. Slipped my mine. However, Eck's '90 season and Gagne's 2003 season are too similar to declare one the easy winner.

Gagne 2003: 55 svs; 1.20 ERA; 82.1 IP; .69 WHIP; 137.

What was Eck's save percentage during his 1990 season?

I have been searching for it. So far all the stat sites have turned up empty. Including baseball reference, which is usually pretty solid.

48/50 for Eckersley.

Obviously Gagne is better in that regaurd, but I still can not be convinced that 2 blown saves makes Gagne's season that much better than Eck's.

A fascinating aspect of Eck's season was that he allowed fewer runners to reach base than the number of saves he recorded. But Gagne had a sick K/9 IP ratio.

48/50 for Eckersley.

Obviously Gagne is better in that regaurd, but I still can not be convinced that 2 blown saves makes Gagne's season that much better than Eck's.

A fascinating aspect of Eck's season was that he allowed fewer runners to reach base than the number of saves he recorded. But Gagne had a sick K/9 IP ratio.

96% save percentage? That is phenomenal. I figured that it would have been between 90% and 93%. And that 0.61 ERA....wow.

What about consecutive scoreless innings? If Eck went like two months straight without giving up a run, then I might have to reconsider.

How about OBP allowed? Batting average against?