Dodgeball vs. NASCAR

Dodgeball leagues are forming, which is more a sport?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Dodgeball leagues are forming, which is more a sport?

• NASCAR
    • Dodgeball

Old Playground Favorite

PORTLAND, Oregon (AP) -- If you were one of those kids who never got picked for the dodgeball team, you get a second chance.

The grade school game is now hot among young adults.

"It's ridiculously fun. It's high-energy, you don't stop moving. There's sensory overload," said Colleen Finn, who founded the Portland adult dodgeball league this year.

And throwing a ball hard at someone can be fun, too.

Grown men and women are turning dodgeball into a recreational sport, with pickup games and championship tournaments.

The game's visibility may well grow after this summer's release of a movie starring Ben Stiller, "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story." It's the tale of a group of misfits who want to save their gym from a takeover by a fancy fitness center.

Finn founded the Portland league, which just wrapped up its season, as an indoor activity for kickball players during the city's infamously rainy winters. Word quickly spread, and in less than two weeks she had eight teams.

Players have to be at least 21, because Finn, 25, doesn't want anyone to feel left out if the teams go out for beer after the game.

Fittingly, games are held in the gym of a former elementary school.

"There's always that kid who wasn't picked for a team in the fifth grade," Finn said. "This is the perfect chance for redemption."

The idea is to have fun, so rules are loose. Ten players line up on each end of a court with a line of balls between them. The whistle is a signal to grab the balls and hurl them at each other. If you're hit, you're out; the first team without players loses.

Cameron Levine, the 28-year-old captain of Portland's America's Freedom team, was looking for a group activity that involved "some kind of exercise." He felt limited to pickup basketball games, until he saw an Internet posting for the Portland league. He and several friends signed up.

Between running to catch balls, trying to dodge them and throwing them at opposing players, the movement is constant. While that makes it excellent exercise, dodgeball isn't for the out-of-shape.

More at the link.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted NASCAR, jackasses!

But, I LOVE dodgeball! I liked medicine dodgeball better where when you got hit you dropped and then you could be dragged back across the baseline to be "brought back to life."

who called it bombardment?

We had a rule change that all throws had to be two handed over the head until a guy got bopped wight in the face while attempting a throw.

I also liked scooter dodgeball. We played while seated on these little four wheel scooters. The cool thing was to push off from the bleachers and use the momentum to add a little extra on the ball.

Sport:

#

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

2. A particular form of this activity.

# An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

NASCAR is not a sport.

Why are so many of you getting your panties in a twist over whether NASCAR is a sport?

I can't stand basketball, but I don't feel the need to go into every basketball thread and rip on it.

I noticed you didn't vote NASCAR ;)

It's a lot like poking fun of PA. An easy target.

Sport:

#

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

2. A particular form of this activity.

# An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

NASCAR is not a sport.

If you don't think NASCAR involves physical exertion and skill you're a f***ing retard.

You convienently left this one out:

NASCAR IS a sport.

As would be bird watching.

Interesting that the label "sport" is so important to their fans. Does it in some way imply legitamacy to the races?

To other cars, NASCAR is a sport. To humans it is not. The car does most of the work (joules) in the event than the driver, therefore it can't be compared to hockey, basketball, baseball, and football. The only way I would consider the drivers athletes and NASCAR a Sport is if they changed the cars to look like this:

flintstn.jpg

To other cars, NASCAR is a sport.  To humans it is not.  The car does most of the work (joules) in the event than the driver, therefore it can't be compared to hockey, basketball, baseball, and football.  The only way I would consider the drivers athletes and NASCAR a Sport is if they changed the cars to look like this:

flintstn.jpg

I can tell you've never driven an 800 horse power car when the power steering and power brakes have gone out on it. I've driven a 429 car that has drum brakes and manual steering and you need plenty of muscle for that and I wasn't going 180+ mph and the 429 isn't 800 horsepower.

EDIT: Oh yeah and it was 120+ degrees in the car either when I drove it.

If you don't think NASCAR involves physical exertion and skill you're a f***ing retard.

"Omg I made the turn! I'm out of breath now!"

I never said it didn't involve skill, and skill doesn't make a sport. Is a skilled modeller a sportsman now?

There are the guys that change tires and stuff...but ASSCAR is not a sport. Sorry to burst your bubble.

:whip

No, it is a sport, bottom line.  You think it is so easy, you wouldn't be able to do it for five minutes.

No, it's not. I never said it was easy. If I was a very good painter, and others were not, I wouldn't call it a sport.

It doesn't matter if they are skilled at it or not!

Honestly, how can you call NASCAR a sport? All they're doing is driving! That's it. REAL sports involved doing a wealth of things. Take hockey for example. You have to know how to ice skate real well, how to aim pucks into corners of the net (If you're an O-line man), how to do effective checks, and more. NASCAR is just driving fast and trying to be in first.

Racing is RACING, not sport. Like NASCAR, horse racing, go-karting

Sports are SPORTS, not racing. Like Baseball, football, hockey.

Two completely different things.

There is competition, offensive driving (see Tony Stewart), defensive driving (see drivers around Tony Stewart), winning, losing and physical and mental exertion.  How can this not be a sport?

SO the checklist for a sport is:

-Competition

-Offense

-Defense

-Winning

-Losing

-Physical Exertion

-Mental Exertion

Let's see what chess has...

Competition, check.

Offense, check.

Defense, check.

Winning, check.

Losing, check

Mental Extertion, check.

Physical Exertion, nope.

I could basically take your argument and tell you chess is a sport too. And if physical extertion is the difference between sport or not, NASCAR drivers "physical exertion" pales in comparison to a hockey or basketball players.