Dodgeball vs. NASCAR

Dodgeball leagues are forming, which is more a sport?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Dodgeball leagues are forming, which is more a sport?

• NASCAR
    • Dodgeball

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but there have been comments in EVERY Nascar thread that has been started.  GET OVER IT!  :headbang :lol:

Wasn't me. :ph34r:

I don't mind there being NASCAR threads about winners and stuff. I don't follow NASCAR so I don't post in them. But this ones about something totally different and it's asking us to present arguments for either NASCAR or Dodgeball.

SO the checklist for a sport is:

-Competition

-Offense

-Defense

-Winning

-Losing

-Physical Exertion

-Mental Exertion

Let's see what chess has...

Competition, check.

Offense, check.

Defense, check.

Winning, check.

Losing, check

Mental Extertion, check.

Physical Exertion, nope.

I could basically take your argument and tell you chess is a sport too. And if physical extertion is the difference between sport or not, NASCAR drivers "physical exertion" pales in comparison to a hockey or basketball players.

Yo, don'ty bring chess into this. The year I played the US Open, I was physically sick by the end of the tournament. 2 Weeks of nightly 3-4 hour games. The stress was a killer. Chess is a sport, the sport of Kings and Queens.

As would be bird watching.

Interesting that the label "sport" is so important to their fans. Does it in some way imply legitamacy to the races?

I think it's the exact opposite. It's important to the non-fans. I don't care. I enjoy it whether it's a "sport" or not.

I would still like to know how it is fun to watch cars race in a circle 250 times or so for over 3 hours or so. I mean I loved the sit and spin as much as the next kid, but to things go in a circle that many times? Do you like to watch it for the exciting crashes?

I could see liking to participate in a race, but to watch it? NASCAR and Pro Wrestling, if you like these you are a redneck.

I would still like to know how it is fun to watch cars race in a circle 250 times or so for over 3 hours or so. I mean I loved the sit and spin as much as the next kid, but to things go in a circle that many times? Do you like to watch it for the exciting crashes?

I could see liking to participate in a race, but to watch it? NASCAR and Pro Wrestling, if you like these you are a redneck.

That was true about NASCAR up until 10 years ago. No matter what you think about NASCAR's brand of racing, they have done a tremendous job in broadening their fan base from the confederate flag waving, straw hat wearing, chewin' tabacco crowd. IIRC, it is the fastest growing TV sport the past 5 or 6 years and the only one whose TV rights are actually increasing in value.

Sport or not, it is very popular.

It's comments like these that are just full of ignorance and idiocy. Real cool to name call, pal.

I'll try to explain what is so exciting. There's more than just "going around in circles." The cars are adjusted constantly to make them looser, tighter, faster. Air pressure in the tires is adjusted throughout the race by as small as 1/4 psi. Drafting, passing, pitting (or not), taking on fuel (or not), 2 tires? 4 tires? Strategy is HUGE. That's what makes NASCAR exciting. Not neccessarily speed and wrecks. Though, I'd be lying if I said a good wreck is cool once in a while.

It's comments like these that are just full of ignorance and idiocy. Real cool to name call, pal.

I'll try to explain what is so exciting. There's more than just "going around in circles." The cars are adjusted constantly to make them looser, tighter, faster. Air pressure in the tires is adjusted throughout the race by as small as 1/4 psi. Drafting, passing, pitting (or not), taking on fuel (or not), 2 tires? 4 tires? Strategy is HUGE. That's what makes NASCAR exciting. Not neccessarily speed and wrecks. Though, I'd be lying if I said a good wreck is cool once in a while.

And that is one of the challenges facing the sport. How does the casual fan know what adjustments are being made?

NASCAR. Jeez-us. I fail to see how people get all hyped up about that anyway. All NASCAR is is a bunch of leadfoots driving around in circles for 4 hours & stopping for gas & new tires every so often. The only thing I find at least amusing about NASCAR is the crashes.

Dodgeball was the s*** back when I was growing up. We played it in P.E. all the time when I was in school & I can easily see why it's still so popular.

All sports seem boring when you pare them down enough. I mean hell, baseball is just a bunch of guys whacking a ball with a piece of wood, walking around in a square every once in a while.

The cars are adjusted constantly to make them looser, tighter, faster. Air pressure in the tires is adjusted throughout the race by as small as 1/4 psi. Drafting, passing, pitting (or not), taking on fuel (or not), 2 tires? 4 tires? Strategy is HUGE. That's what makes NASCAR exciting.

Minute engineering adjustments are exciting? OK.

Sounds like another point against 'is a sport'.

Minute engineering adjustments are exciting?  OK.

Sounds like another point against 'is a sport'.

From my point of view, being an engineer and having a fiance that has a race car, those types of changes are very exciting. :huh

I drove from Urbana to Schaumburg the other day, did not feel like sport.

I can shoot hoops with a friend and not be an NBA player or go to Walnut Greens and shoot 9 holes, THAT is sport. If driving is sport then so is playing Cruisin' World at the movie theater.

Nascar is a sport. These type of threads always crack me up.

Like I said, entertainment that uses a MACHINE as it's main piece is NOT a sport.

Baseball, football, hockey, basketball, golf, table tennis, NONE of these use machinery.

NASCAR is in the Racing category, period. And the racing category is NOT in the sport category. Some of you need to stop pretending that NASCAR is a sport just because you like it and will defend it to the death, it isn't! Get over it!

You know what cracks me up? When no one logically supports their view. *Ahem*

That's 2 times in this thread now.

From my point of view, being an engineer and having a fiance that has a race car, those types of changes are very exciting.  :huh

How do you know, during the race, that they just adjusted the suspension or whatever they do? Are there secret hand signals that only fans know? :huh

When they adjust the car you can see when they do it on pit road. Im not gonna argue with any of you because im not here to get you all pissed off over Nascar on a baseball message board. No matter what i say its not gonna change anyones minds or opinions on nascar. I love it and always will while most of you will never understand it or like it. All i know is that if Nascar is so easy I would go do it for a living but I dont know if i can handle it. I know exactly how you all feel when you wonder how the hell people can watch cars go in circles all day because i feel the same way about watching basketball and hockey. Who the hell wants to watch guys skate around to see 1 goal every 2 hours or watch a bunch of guys shoot a ball in a hoop , wow. All im gonna say if you dont like Nascar then fine dont just dont take over every thread and flood it with anti nascar stuff.

When they adjust the car you can see when they do it on pit road. Im not gonna argue with any of you because im not here to get you all pissed off over Nascar on a baseball message board. No matter what i say its not gonna change anyones minds or opinions on nascar. I love it and always will while most of you will never understand it or like it. All i know is that if Nascar is so easy I would go do it for a living but I dont know if i can handle it. I know exactly how you all feel when you wonder how the hell people can watch cars go in circles all day because i feel the same way about watching basketball and hockey. Who the hell wants to watch guys skate around to see 1 goal every 2 hours or watch a bunch of guys shoot a ball in a hoop , wow. All im gonna say if you dont like Nascar then fine dont just dont take over every thread and flood it with anti nascar stuff.

I watched and could tell what they were doing, it was all a blurr. I did have fun listening to the scanner and the communication between the driver and crew.

To those that claim NASCAR isn't a sport, how about Horse Racing? Is the jockey an athlete?