Hearld asks Beltran on the Southside?

Stocking

Beltran such an attractive midseason pickup; Sox have better shot than Cubs

Daily Herald Reports

Posted 5/19/2004

By Barry Rozner

I wish I had a nickel for every Cubs fan who has written to say the Cubs should get Carlos Beltran.

OK, so I'd have like, what, $1.15? I'm not sure what the point of that is, but the surprise is White Sox fans have been quiet on the subject.

And the White Sox might have a better shot at stealing Beltran, with only one major item working against them: They play in the same division as Kansas City.

But since Beltran most likely is a rental just for the rest of this season, the Royals could view the Sox and the Padres as the teams best suited for a deal.

The Sox have much in their favor because they possess a GM in Kenny Williams who isn't afraid to be aggressive and thinks in terms of winning it all.

The White Sox haven't had a center fielder since before the turn of the century and they have the young and cheap arms necessary to make this deal happen.

The Sox also can let the Royals choose from outfielders Joe Borchard, Aaron Rowand, Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney, and they can afford the $3 million it'll cost to pay Beltran the final two months of the season.

It's true the White Sox will need another starter and certainly a closer before the trade deadline, but if Williams thinks he can get Beltran's offense, he will not back off in fear of losing out to the Cubs, Dodgers, Angels, Athletics, Red Sox or Yankees.

The Padres, however, pose the greatest threat. They need Beltran. They have the position players to get a deal done. They have money to spend, even the $120 million it'll take to sign Beltran after the season.

And the Royals will like the fact that San Diego is not in their division and not even in their league. The Padres also can hand Kansas City half a starting lineup for next season.

Still, the Sox are right there.

Just as the Cubs would not want Beltran to wind up in San Diego, Los Angeles, Houston or St. Louis, the Sox need not see Beltran find refuge in the Bronx, Boston, Oakland or Anaheim.

The Cubs also have the pitching, position players and money to make it happen, and they obviously don't compete with the Royals in any way.

But the Cubs' package, which would have to include Corey Patterson and probably Kyle Farnsworth - among others - doesn't offer the inexpensive players on the verge of cracking a big-league lineup.

Williams has the better shot, so he must ask himself, is there any chance of signing him and is Beltran worth the price you'd pay to make a run this year?

Maybe and yes.

The Sox would only consider keeping Beltran if they didn't re-sign Magglio Ordonez and if he took less money than both New York teams will offer next winter.

That's a longshot.

As for his worth this season, Beltran could help the White Sox reach the World Series, and that would be worth mortgaging part of the future.

At 27, Beltran is about as good as he's going to get, and he's awfully good right now.

He's one of the best players in the game and he can pretty much do it all, though his defense at times slips from great to merely good.

Other than that, he's top of the line and he has the ability to change a division race and maybe even affect the outcome of the World Series.

E-mailer Sanjay H., my favorite GM not working in baseball today, points out that Beltran is the best rental position player available midseason since Philly dealt Scott Rolen in 2002.

"Many teams wanted Rolen, but they assumed Philly GM Ed Wade would want too much,'' writes Sanjay. "In the end, though, St. Louis gave up only Placido Polanco, Bud Smith and Mike Timlin. Rolen helped propel the Cardinals into the postseason and St. Louis signed him to a long-term contract.

"Many teams who want Beltran will assume (Royals GM) Allard Baird wants too much.

"But if Philly accepted an average second baseman under contract (arbitration), a young starter with a mid-ceiling and a decent relief pitcher who wore out his welcome for Scott Rolen, do you think Kansas City would accept Mark Grudzielanek (team option for 2005), Sergio Mitre and Kyle Farnsworth for Carlos Beltran?''

Good question. But if either Chicago team wants in on this, it may want to try sooner than later, before the list gets too long and the price goes too high.

For the Cubs and the Sox, it might be that the first one in line for Beltran is the first one across the finish line in October.

If Lee picks it up, could you imagine Lee, Beltran, and Maggs in our OF?!

better yet... could you imagine giving the Royals Borchard, Anderson, Honel, and one more so so prospect for Beltran, letting Maggs walk, and then signing Beltran long term and having Lee, Beltran, and Reed in the outfield... I think its possible

better yet... could you imagine giving the Royals Borchard, Anderson, Honel, and one more so so prospect for Beltran, letting Maggs walk, and then signing Beltran long term and having Lee, Beltran, and Reed in the outfield... I think its possible

No way we give Anderson and Honel to the Royals for Beltran. He won't re-sign with the SOx

These threads kill me.  There is no chance of Carlos Beltran playing baseball for the Chicago White Sox in 2004.  Period.

Ditto.

Nor do I want Beltran. Schmuck wants 16-18 Mil a year after '04? Whatever, he's already beginning to tail off.

You're itching to spend that kind of money? How about getting # 1-2 pitchers at the ASB?

Ditto.

Nor do I want Beltran. Schmuck wants 16-18 Mil a year after '04? Whatever, he's already beginning to tail off.

You're itching to spend that kind of money? How about getting # 1-2 pitchers at the ASB?

To add to that sentiment, I read on espn.com today that the Beltran "camp" is saying that Carlos would prefer to be a Yankee next season, regardless of where he goes for the rest of this season.

yeah but if they get beltran and sign him next year so in theory wed be losing a supersatr in maggs cause reinsdorf wont pay for both of them and getting beltran. who would you rather have? i think maggs because he has been more proven than beltran and no matter what one of them is going to the yankees.

i dont think maggs is more "proven" and plus, maggs is 3 years older than beltran... beltran's entering his prime while maggs is leaving it... Beltran has much more upside, he can also steal 30 bases...

Beltran has two huge home runs (last inning) against US this year. Maggs has one in his a career. I am sorry, Maggs is not a money player. He puts up big numbers but does not make anyone around him better. What is his averager with RISP after the 6th inning?

Carlos Lee has 11 RBI hitting behind a guy with about at .450 OBP and a guy hitting over .300 his overall average with RISP is about .150

These threads kill me.  There is no chance of Carlos Beltran playing baseball for the Chicago White Sox in 2004.  Period.

Now I know we'll get him, but only if the Royals are 10 back and going no where by the end of next month. ;)

I would be willing to part with Honel, Borchard and a lesser prospect like Andy Gonzalez (who does have a high ceiling) to get Beltran.

I'd even be willing to give up someone like Jeremy Reed, although would prefer someone like Nanita or what not, but for a star player you have to give something up and Beltran is just that.

However, it will be incredibly hard to resign him, but I'd prefer him over Maggs.

maggs is 3 years older than beltran... beltran's entering his prime while maggs is leaving it

Im so sick of people stating that players are in there prime from 28-32. Im sorry what age is the best hitter in baseball, 40+. How old is the NL wins leader right now, I heard clemens was past his prime? Did a 40+ year old pitcher just throw a perfect game? There is no such thing as a player in his prime. Maybe after a player is 45 we can state that. Each player has their own prime, there is no given age.

...just a thought