Hearld asks Beltran on the Southside?

Stocking

These threads kill me.  There is no chance of Carlos Beltran playing baseball for the Chicago White Sox in 2004.  Period.

If new homes could be found for PK + Jose, or Jose+ Lee, or Lee + PK, it would be very possible salary wise to get this done.

It's just a matter of trading basically 2 prospects for Beltran [-4 prospects, gain +2 draft picks as compensation for offering him arbitration and not resigning him= net loss of 2 players] I'd keep Reed, Sweeney and Honel. But something could get done here.

KC knows we probably won't resign Beltran. So trading within the division wouldn't be an issue w/ them once they decide their season is over. Only the Sox who might not want to get hurt by their own guys. The Sox could offer them one of the best deals [sP and OF help]

Im so sick of people stating that players are in there prime from 28-32.    Im sorry what age is the best hitter in baseball, 40+.  How old is the NL wins leader right now, I heard clemens was past his prime?  Did a 40+ year old pitcher just throw a perfect game?    There is no such thing as a player in his prime. Maybe after a player is 45 we can state that. Each player has their own prime, there is no given age. 

...just a thought

I see what you're saying, Stocking. But those are 3 rare cases. You're talkin about 3 of the best ever. Usually a players prime is somehwere around the age of 28 or 29 through 32 or maybe 33.

Usually a players prime is somehwere around the age of 28 or 29 through 32 or maybe 33.

Try 26-32, with peak at 28-30

Of course steroids throw things out of whack (Boone hitting prime at 34, Bonds- 36, etc), but fundamental laws of physiology remain unchanged.

Ditto.

Nor do I want Beltran. Schmuck wants 16-18 Mil a year after '04? Whatever, he's already beginning to tail off.

You're itching to spend that kind of money? How about getting # 1-2 pitchers at the ASB?

He's Beginning to WHAT????? LOL!!!!!!

If that's tailing off then...... And About the Yankee thing it's probably his Agent Bora$$ saying those things to open the market. Damn now i know a 27 yr old starts to tail off... :bang

He's Beginning to WHAT?????   LOL!!!!!!

If that's tailing off then...... And About the Yankee thing it's probably his Agent Bora$$ saying those things to open the market. Damn now i know a 27 yr old starts to tail off...  :bang

late-20's is a historic prime.

Rule #1 for Small market teams: do NOT pay for potential, but for proven production -- even if that means you might miss out on break-out seasons.

Beltran is a career 830 OPS hitter, who's at 1050 right now. That's called "hitting over one's head" given that he's not that strong, nor that quick, nor possesses that good of an eye.

And unlike so many sluggers in the 90's who just got better seemingly overnight, I don't think Beltran will have steroids at his desposal in the next few years.

Furthermore, if you're expecting him to be a 30 steal guy for much longer, you're kidding yourself. With Boras as his agent, with the prevalent "long-ball your way into HOF" attitude....he'll stop running like Sosa, Griffey and so many others stopped running when they got their taste of 30 HR power and big bucks.....Taking the beating on the base-paths is not conducive to a HOF career.

Assuming KC wants to trade Beltran right now and is willing to give him to the Sox......Are you willing to give up Reed, Sweeney and Honel? I am not.

late-20's is a historic prime.

Rule #1 for Small market teams: do NOT pay for potential, but for proven production -- even if that means you might miss out on break-out seasons.

Beltran is a career 830 OPS hitter, who's at 1050 right now.    That's called "hitting over one's head"  given that he's not that strong, nor that quick, nor possesses that good of an eye.

Furthermore, if you're expecting him to be a 30 steal guy for much longer, you're kidding yourself. With Boras as his agent, with the prevalent long-ball your way into HOF attitude....he'll stop running like Sosa, Griffey and so many others stopped running when they got their taste of 30 HR power and big bucks.....

Assuming KC wants to trade Beltran right now and is willing to give him to the Sox......Are you willing to give up Reed, Sweeney and Honel? I am not.

I'm not ready to give up any of those guys.

But he's not tailing off. The Guy is a hell of a player and a 5 tool player too.

But he's not tailing off. The Guy is a hell of a player and a 5 tool player too.

Yes, but is he enough to "carry" the Sox into and through the playoffs?

Based on his track record, the answer is NO.

As far as those prospects.....What, did you think you'd give the Royals Carlos Lee and Emencio Pacheco and they just mail you the keys to a brand new Beltran? No, JoshPR, you're gonna have to pay through the f***ing nose - KW will get rapped.

I would never swear AT a Puerto Rican. A Dominican or a Panamanian?  Sure.

But you guys are the Chosen people, and I don't argue with the Lord.  :nono

:notworthy

Either that was Lame sarcasim or trying to be funy which wasn't... Nice try,

Let's keep it at that