WHITE SOX rumor mill

JUGGERNAUT

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Beltran as a player, but there's no way we'd see him in a White Sox uni after the season if we traded for him.  It's not worth trading away the future.

Its not worth trading Ordonez for Johnson...that'd be like trading an X-Box for a PS2

From the Denver Post:

Nothing brewing

White Sox general manager Kenny Williams wants to change the dynamic of his team's lineup, adding a left-handed power hitter.

He dangled high-priced outfielder Carlos Lee in spring training, and baseball officials said outfielder Aaron Rowand is available. Williams executed a similar move last season, adding Carl Everett and Robbie Alomar. Based on his contract and statistics, Rockies outfielder Jeromy Burnitz would make sense.

The Rockies, however, aren't interested in moving their center fielder, who is quietly having an all-star season in Preston Wilson's absence.

I love Rotoworld's spin on it, though:

The Denver Post suggests the White Sox could be in the market for Jeromy Burnitz.

The article makes it sound like the Rockies would be the ones crazy to do the deal, when in reality all the Sox have to do is take a look at Burnitz's home/road splits before they run screaming the other way. That said, the White Sox are on the lookout for a lefty power hitter, and some officials have said Aaron Rowand is available.

I think its more than obvious the Sox are giving up on ARow. He hasn't started in CF for a few games now and he is healthy. It surprised me to see them start Gload in CF. They do need to find a way to keep Gload in the lineup almost everyday right now. He is hitting the hell out of the ball.

According to the Score (take it for what it's worth)

The Sox are interested in..:

1. Carl Everett

2. Kris Benson

3. Freddy Garcia.

Everett makes no sense. Unless Carlos is traded away and Carl can play LF. Please no Everett for CF. Isn't he also injured?

Benson reminds me of the 2002 version of Jon Garland, too inconsistent to rely on to pitch a big game.

Garcia would be worth trading for. His upside is much higher than most other SP's whose names are being talked about.

Benson ahead of Garcia, hmm.  Benson must be available real cheap.

If the money situation is resolved and the medical exam reveals he is 100% healthy, I am not against Benson.

He obvisouly has good talent. If anything, he is an insurence in case either Garland or Schoenweiss revert back to sucking, which let's face it, they probably will.

However, with Buehle as a #2 and Elo as #3, SOX STILL NEED A BONAFIELD, BALLS-OUT ACE PITCHER for the post-ASB push and the postseason.

Of course they might need a lead hitter as well if Willie reverts, but it's not as big a priority.

Yep.. June 15th

From General Transaction Rules

Free Agency and Compensation

A player that has accrued 6 complete years or more of service time at the end of a season and does not have a contract is eligible for filing for free agency, after which the player can sign with any team he wants.

To receive compensation for a player that signs with another team, the team must offer the player salary arbitration.

The team must offer salary arbitration to the player by December 7 or will not be allowed to negotiate with or sign the player until the following May 1. After arbitration is offered, the player has until December 19 to either accept or refuse salary arbitration. If it is refused, the player can only negotiate with the club until January 7th, after which no more negotiation can take place until May 1.

The compensation formula is based off a negotiated formula, heavy on triple crown stats, for the previous 2 seasons. Type A players are those that rank in the top 30% of his position. Type B players are those that rank below top 30% but still in the top 50%. Type C players are those that rank in the top 60% but not the top 50%.

A type players fetch the 1st-round draft pick of teams in the top half of W-L record or a 2nd-round draft pick of teams in the bottom half of W-L record and an additional pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds. B types don't get the sandwich pick and C type players fetch a sandwich between the 2nd and 3rd rounds. The higher the player's ranking in the compensation formula, the higher priority the old team gets in acquiring draft picks.

Something that's never mentioned is that there are still limits to the type of free agents that teams may sign.

If there are 14 or less type A and B players available, no team may sign more than 1 type A or B player. If there are 15-38 available A and B players, no team may sign more than 2. From 39-62 this becomes 3. The club quota increases accordingly for higher totals of available free agents. There is no maximum allowed for type C free agents. Lastly, a team can sign up to as many type A and B free agents as they've lost, regardless of the above quota.

Major League free agents come with an automatic no-trade clause until after the next June 15.

Why not get Benson AND Garcia?

Garcia would come somewhat cheaply because he's a FA at the end of the season, and I would guess some teams are still wary of him based on his problems last year. Throw some Latin Love at him from the south side, and he could be a horse for years to come.

Benson should be reasonably cheap as well, but he's more of a risk.

Plus, I dont think either would command Colon money, and both could be potentially resigned for a few years, no?

Wouldnt you give up some minor league prospects for three years of Benson, Garcia, Buehrle Loaiza and Garland?

The budget is not set in stone.  Maybe Konerko or Lee gets shipped in the deal, that would help.

I doubt that would matter much since Kenny would likely swindle not paying a cent of their salaries.

BTW.. my comment above in response to Brando was referring to signing them after this year. I jumped the gun a bit.

Both teams could use a power-hitting 1B, if Konerko keeps hitting.

Ditto with Lee

Pitt has Chris Wilson, and they would NEVER trade for Konerko's contract. Ever.

Seattle doesn't need Konerko's schitzophrenic, GIDP-loving, no-range self either.

Lee has more value than Konerko, but neither of those teams want him after such a bad start.