Schmidt?

CWSOX45

I was just curious about the contract of Giants starting pitcher Jason Schmidt. Since the Giants are currently 7 games out, is it possible that he gets put on the block?

I'm not quite sure of his contract situation, but I was just wondering if the Giants would deal him by July 31st, especially since they have a TON of young pitchers.

Thoughts?

CWSOX45

Jason Schmidt RHP SFO Signed Dec 2001 - 4 years/$30M

2004: $8.5M

2005: $8.75M

2006: Team option $10.0M or $3.0M buyout

-Can earn additional $1M in bonuses during the contract

For a horse like this, I'd take him and use some of the money we will free up after the season to be able to keep him for those two seasons.

For a horse like this, I'd take him and use some of the money we will free up after the season to be able to keep him for those two seasons.

He's had numerous shoulder and elbow problems in the past, recent and otherwise.

Alou is letting him throw 120, 125, 144 pitches lately...

Too much risk for that kind of cost, both money and prospects.

Now if it's near July deadline and it looks like he is completely healthy....maybe.

He's had numerous shoulder and elbow problems in the past, recent and otherwise.

Now if it's near July deadline and it looks like he is completely healthy....maybe.

Agreed, I would rather go after Garcia and extend him, which I feel we have a real good shot at.

Agreed, I would rather go after Garcia and extend him, which I feel we have a real good shot at.

How many World Series games has Freddy Garcia been in? How many 18 win seasons does Freddy Garcia have in the past 2 or 3 years?

Schmidt is worth it, assuming he can stay healthy. And if you get him for a good enough price, his health is worth the risk too.

How many World Series games has Freddy Garcia been in?  How many 18 win seasons does Freddy Garcia have in the past 2 or 3 years?

Schmidt is worth it, assuming he can stay healthy. And if you get him for a good enough price, his health is worth the risk too.

Schmidt is in a different class than Garcia, true.

But elbow/shoulder injjury is not something you can ignore in a pitcher, esp one that routinely throws 115-120+ pitches. Schmidt is signed through 2006, so god forbid he goes down, you're stuck with his salary.

Especially considering you're gonna be sending 2 of your best prospects to the Giants.

Now that Magglio may have a torn ACL, it's not a even a sure thing Sox make it to the postseason.

Sheesh Brando is anybody gonna convince you. ;)

You get a negative on every player mentioned in trades. You said that about schimdt said Beltran is tailing off.. So then who would ya like for this team to pickup???I'm not knocking ya but I'm just asking cause i'm confused. :unsure:

Sheesh Brando is anybody gonna convince you. ;)

You get a negative on every player mentioned in trades. You said that about schimdt said Beltran is tailing off.. So then who would ya like for this team to pickup???I'm not knocking ya but I'm just asking cause i'm confused.  :unsure:

Just stating facts re: Schmidt's injuries and workload.

Beltran doesn't have the talent to be a 950-1000 OPS player. Only a handful do. He will tail off.

You want to give up the farm system for a player who won't even get you to the post-season and will leave thereafter? Be my guest.

Who do I want? I don't know yet. Ask me in a month.

Just stating facts re: Schmidt's injuries and workload. 

Beltran doesn't have the talent to be a 950-1000 OPS player.  Only a handful do. He will tail off.

You want to give up the farm system for a player who won't even get you to the post-season and will leave thereafter? Be my guest.

Who do I want?  I don't know yet.  Ask me in a month.

The season could be over in a month.

Just the question will become, if your going to part with that much, is there some one better you can get?

Exactly.

If Konerko, Diaz, Rauch, and Cotts can get you Schmidt, can that also get you RJ?

(assuming Arizona takes on much of his contract for 05). Personally, I think he is a pitcher I would rather have then Schmidt