Win-Sal article on Anderson

MnSoxFan

CRAFTSMAN: Warthogs' Anderson honing the skills that make him one of White Sox' top prospects

By Dan Collins

JOURNAL REPORTER

When you go to work playing for a minor-league baseball team, you bring your own tools.

At least you are paid for the use of those tools. In the case of center fielder Brian Anderson of the Winston-Salem Warthogs, he was paid quite handsomely.

Because nobody on the team has more or better tools than Brian Anderson.

"He's a tools guy," Manager Ken Dominguez said.

The tools in question are not gloves and bats, but the requisite skills to play the game. The Chicago White Sox thought enough of Anderson's ability to run, throw, field, hit and hit for power that they drafted him in the first round last June and paid him $1.6 million to sign.

David Wilder, the White Sox' director of player development, was in Winston-Salem this past week to inspect the quality of Anderson's tools. His inspection only confirmed what he had seen in spring training, that, except for experience, Anderson has everything one needs to play major-league baseball.

"He can do just about anything he wants to do on the field," Wilder said. "You don't find too many guys with all the tools to play any position out there in the outfield.

"We think he's going to be a pretty good major-league baseball player. He's a special, special athlete."

Anderson's statistics through his first month in the Carolina League are impressive. Through 106 at-bats, he was hitting .340 with three homers and 20 RBIs.

But sharp eyes such as those of Dominguez and Wilder can look past the numbers to those singular moments when a prospect gives himself away, for good or for bad. Such a moment occurred last Thursday in the final game of the three-game series with the Salem Avalanche, when Anderson stepped to the plate in the ninth. The Warthogs trailed 10-7 but had the bases loaded.

Facing Mark McLemore, the Avalanche's best reliever, Anderson took the first pitch across his knees for a strike. He fouled off the next pitch to fall behind 0-2. He fouled the third pitch straight back. He fouled the fourth pitch into the parking lot down the right-field line.

He laced the fifth pitch over the head of the centerfielder off the wall for a two-run double. The Warthogs lost the game 10-9, but the overriding goal of getting Anderson a step closer to the major leagues had been served.

"Early in the season he was pressing some and he was chasing," Dominguez said. "But he has really learned fast. He's learning his craft very quickly. He's laying off bad pitches now and he's making them throw strikes. Obviously with that swing he has, when they throw it in the zone he's going to hit it.

"The main thing for him is to keep learning and keep getting better and better. And he's doing that every day right here right now."

Anderson was expected to start slowly this season. After signing following his junior season at the University of Arizona, Anderson batted only 49 times for Great Falls of the Pioneer Rookie League before wrist surgery ended his season.

He spent much of spring training with the parent White Sox, along with Warthogs' right fielder Ryan Sweeney, a second-round pick last June. So it was no big surprise when the White Sox jumped both past Kannapolis of the Class A South Atlantic League to the more advanced Class A Carolina League.

While Anderson struggled to adjust to pitchers who throw hard, sharp sliders on 3-1 counts, the White Sox learned ever more about him. They were pleased to see he had the even temperament laced with just enough confidence that it takes to excel in the everyday game of baseball.

"You wouldn't know he was a first-round pick," Wilder said. "A lot of guys come out and they're a first-round pick and you can automatically pick that guy out. You can only pick Brian out because of his ability.

"That says a lot about him."

The mature disposition has helped Anderson deal with the uncertainties of his livelihood. Like all his teammates, Anderson would like to be in the major leagues today. But he realizes he's only 22 with less than 200 professional at-bats on his resume.

It would probably serve the interests of both the White Sox and the Warthogs to leave Anderson in Winston-Salem to give him a full season to develop before deciding where he should begin the 2005 season. Factors materialize, however, that change the best-laid plans of farm directors. And one of those factors could be that Anderson proves too good to be in the Carolina League for five full months.

Regardless, Anderson said he will put his future in the hands of the people who have paid for the use of his tools.

"Obviously you have to pay some type of dues," Anderson said. "When you're hot you say 'What am I doing here still?' But you get humbled the next day, or any day. You can be humbled real quick.

"I'd like to make it to Double A by the end of this year. If I don't I'll just have to work a little harder next year."

Trivia: First-round notables.

Single - What first-round pick by the Yankees in 1992 was named World Series MVP in 2000?

Double - What first-round pick by the Red Sox in 1994 was named the 1997 AL Rookie of the Year?

Triple - What first-round pick by the Orioles in 1990 won 52 games for the Yankees from 2001-03?

Homer - What first-round pick by the Red Sox in 1993 hit .306 last season with 28 homers and 87 RBIs?

Around and about

Two former Wake Forest players who resurrected their professional careers last season at Visalia of the Class A California League are playing together for Tulsa of the Class AA Texas League. Third baseman Corey Slavik, drafted in the 10th round by the Cubs in 2001, signed with Colorado before last season and hit .321 for Visalia with 14 homers and 75 RBIs. Through 114 at-bats this season with Tulsa, he was hitting .254 with three homers and 26 RBIs. Catcher Dan Conway, drafted by Colorado in the eighth round in 2000, hit .230 for Salem of the Class A Carolina League in 2002 before rebounding to hit .292 for Visalia last season with five homers and 43 RBIs. Conway continued his hot streak this season through the first 52 games at Tulsa, where he was hitting .327.... A race, of sorts, is on for two former ACC stars. Shortstop Russ Adams of North Carolina and pitcher David Bush of Wake Forest were both drafted by Toronto in 2002, Adams in the first round and Bush in the second. Both are playing for Syracuse of the Class AAA International League. Adams, through 130 at-bats, is hitting .238 with one homer and 14 RBIs. Bush, through seven starts, is 3-3 with a 4.61 ERA.

Trivia answers

Single - Derek Jeter.

Double - Nomar Garciaparra.

Triple - Mike Mussina.

Homer - Trot Nixon.

Nice article.  It would be great if Anderson could make his way to Birmingham before this year is up.  Who knows, maybe Sweeney could join him.

Call me CRAZY but I dont see why they have to be rushed up to AA...They both are ultra talented and nothing would do them better than a sucessful season at Winston Salem to boost their confidence and give them that added experience every minor league hitter needs! Dont worry they will be moved up eventually but this kinda thing doesnt happen overnight! Go get them Brian and Ryan!

Anderson seems like to me like a mini version of Joe Borchard with the power but he'll hit for a better average. Hopefully he can continue to put up real good numbers for Birmingham, and we mite see him in Charlotte for 2005. :o

I can't wait to see this kid in the bigs. I say he'll be here by middle 2005.

If we are throwing dates out there I'd have to say he'll be here in early to mid 2006. I figure he will get some time in Birmingham this season and next with possibly some time in Charlotte in '05. With roster openings and a good Spring Training showing he could make the team right out of the gate in '06. If not he will be like Reed now.