Greatest White Sox Player of all time

GO_Todd_Ritchie

Who is the greatest White Sox Player of All time???  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest White Sox Player of All time???

• Frank Thomas
    • Magglio Ordonez
    • Shoeless Joe Jackson
    • Nellie Fox
    • Other
    • Ray Schalk
    • Eddie Collins
    • Carlton Fisk
    • Luke Appling
    • Fielder Jones
    • Bibb Falk

who was the greatest white sock of all time. you can have many different answers to this. You could easily make an argument for many players including Frank Thomas, Mags, Robin Ventura, Shoeless Joe, Nellie FOx, Minnie Minoso and others. BUt you have to look at factors such as how they fared in the playoffs and world series, how they fared in the regular season and how they fared after they left the White SOx. My choice is FRank Thomas. FOr the first half of his career he was the model of consistency he always had good seasons (averaging 35.71 or 36 homeruns per season a .331 batting average and 118 rbi's per season) In 1998 he tailed off to just a .265 batting average 29 homers 109 rbi's not a big tail off but just enough for THomas. He came back strong in 2000 and told Baseball DIgest that they would win the division in 2000 and they did. In 1994 he led a very explosive WHite SOx that would have made the WOrld SEries if not for the strike. He deserved the MVP award but the WEst COast BIas kept him from it Every MVP in the American LEague since 1996 has come from the A.L. West division. If MAgglio stays with the sox for a little while longer I'm sure he would become in my mind the greatest white sox player ever.

The greatest white sock of all time was the first Reebok pair of socks that I ever got, they were heavy duty, very comfortable when doing floor aerobics and spongy soft for step aerobics and the right sock was not as good as the left white sock which was the greatest white sock of all time.

Since the thread title was edited a bit, I could say that among the White Sox greats, Fielder Jones, Luke Appling, and Frank Thoimas would be in my top 3 and I would go with Frank.

The greatest white sock of all time was the first Reebok pair of socks that I ever got, they were heavy duty, very comfortable when doing floor aerobics and spongy soft for step aerobics and the right sock was not as good as the left white sock which was the greatest white sock of all time.

:lolhitting

frank is the greatest player to ever don a sox uni....

Since Shoeless Joe get's disqualified (for obvious reasons).

My pick: Thomas.

I agree with you (hell, where did this money come from, ahhhhhhh....) but you will catch hell for it...

let me be the first to say, Hawk says: "Don't tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit it"

as well as what you field and what you let fall...

who was the greatest white sock of all time.  you can have many different answers to this.  You could easily make an argument for many players including Frank Thomas, Mags, Robin Ventura, Shoeless Joe, Nellie FOx, Minnie Minoso and others.  BUt you have to look at factors such as how they fared in the playoffs and world series, how they fared in the regular season and how they fared after they left the White SOx.  My choice is FRank Thomas.  FOr the first half of his career he was the model of consistency he always had good seasons (averaging 35.71 or 36 homeruns per season a .331 batting average and 118 rbi's per season)  In 1998 he tailed off to just a .265 batting average 29 homers 109 rbi's not a big tail off but just enough for THomas.  He came back strong in 2000 and told Baseball DIgest that they would win the division in 2000 and they did.  In 1994 he led a very explosive WHite SOx that would have made the WOrld SEries if not for the strike.  He deserved the MVP award but the WEst COast BIas kept him from it Every MVP in the American LEague since 1996 has come from the A.L. West division.  If MAgglio stays with the sox for a little while longer I'm sure he would become in my mind the greatest white sox player ever.

Welcome aboard. :cheers

I think the player would be Shoeless Joe.

In 1994 he led a very explosive WHite SOx that would have made the WOrld SEries if not for the strike.  He deserved the MVP award but the WEst COast BIas kept him from it

welcome to soxtalk, and thanks to beastley for noticing that first - sorry I mised it - welcome again! :snr

I think you meant to link those sentences differently. In 2000 Frank got screwed out of the MVP but he did win it in 1994.

There only needs to be two choices in this poll.  Shoeless Joe or Frank Thomas.  No one else is even in their area code.

I'd argue strenuously for Appling to be included in that exclusive category except I already voted for Frank and I have to get ready for a friend's 30th birthday party -

I have a very hard time voting a DH as the greatest ever. This is my argument against concept, not against Frank :headbang because IMHO Frank is the greatest batter I've ever seen, Frank's combination of power, hitting to all fields, great eye, all make him the best all around White Sox batter, hell the best on any team I ever saw in person.

To be considered the greatest ever, IMHO, the person needs to play the field also. Joe looks mighty good, and Fisk deserves more mention than he is getting.

Then what about guys who played only a few years for the Sox? Tom Sever deserves a mention.

Just my opinion but, a DH is avoiding injuries and only playing half a game.

Hey, somebody who watches the next game on WGN,

send this question to Hawk and DJ off email interactive.

That would be neat to hear their response.

I don't know who to pick.

Maybe Wilbur Wood????

Kidding.

who was the greatest white sock of all time.  you can have many different answers to this.  You could easily make an argument for many players including Frank Thomas, Mags, Robin Ventura, Shoeless Joe, Nellie FOx, Minnie Minoso and others.  BUt you have to look at factors such as how they fared in the playoffs and world series, how they fared in the regular season and how they fared after they left the White SOx.  My choice is FRank Thomas.  FOr the first half of his career he was the model of consistency he always had good seasons (averaging 35.71 or 36 homeruns per season a .331 batting average and 118 rbi's per season)  In 1998 he tailed off to just a .265 batting average 29 homers 109 rbi's not a big tail off but just enough for THomas.  He came back strong in 2000 and told Baseball DIgest that they would win the division in 2000 and they did.  In 1994 he led a very explosive WHite SOx that would have made the WOrld SEries if not for the strike.  He deserved the MVP award but the WEst COast BIas kept him from it Every MVP in the American LEague since 1996 has come from the A.L. West division.  If MAgglio stays with the sox for a little while longer I'm sure he would become in my mind the greatest white sox player ever.

White Sock????

Are you Chip Carey :lolhitting :bang :bang

I believe the right term is White Sox Player, both Plural and Singular.

Maggs the greatest?? LOL! Doesn't even deserve to be on the poll

So many choices!!

Lets see here

Jamie Navarro

Josh Paul

Todd Ritchie

Royce K-Layton

How can you go wrong with those dudes?!??!

Hey you forgot

Dan Pasqua

Tim Hullet

Jerry DyBinzki(sp?)

Rodney Bolton

Alan Bannister

No offense, but our history ain't all that bright.

How could Jim Landis be on our all Century team??

He was not that great.

And Bill Melton?

I love Bill but he also wan't too spiffy.

Bring back Pete Ward!!

And Jim Essian!

No offense, but our history ain't all that bright.

How could Jim Landis be on our all Century team??

He was not that great.

And Bill Melton?

I love Bill but he also wan't too spiffy.

Bring back Pete Ward!!

And Jim Essian!

How about the Booter.. Marc Hill

Or hell Mark Salas or Donnie Hill. Maybe even Steve "Psyco" Lyons