5th starter.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

Alrighty KW can we please stop playing musical chairs with the 5th slot and go find someone who's at least somewhat effective?

I think right now it's gonna be tough to get someone over the trade wire unless we overpay.

Maybe they sould just go with a 4 man rotation for now. I would help Garland. I heard Sinkerballers are more efective when not that rested

I still say we should trade for Wilson Alverez.

I'm sure that they would take Konerko for Alverez and might even throw in Robin too.

The dodgers definitely wouldn't do Alvarez for Konerko if they would, KW probably would have already pulled the trigger on that, because that would be a great trade.

Colon :rolleyes:

I cannot believe the organization that was touted as having the best minor league arms just a couple years ago so far has not produced something. I say give Neal at least two more starts then bring up someone else.

The dodgers definitely wouldn't do Alvarez for Konerko if they would, KW probably would have already pulled the trigger on that, because that would be a great trade.

At this point i'd be happy with Nomo...

We just need a guy who can get us at least 7 wins.

We would be unstoppable if we could just win even a 1/4 of the games from the 5th starter spot.

At this point i'd be happy with Nomo...

We just need a guy who can get us at least 7 wins.

We would be unstoppable if we could just win even a 1/4 of the games from the 5th starter spot.

Nomo is hurt and I don't want a guy throwing 85 MPH fastballs. If that's the case just keep Cotts were he is.

I think Baldwin just declined being optioned to AAA for the Mets and was released... we could get him

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Hey I heard Dave Stieb is making a Comeback

I still say we should trade for Wilson Alverez.

I'm sure that they would take Konerko for Alverez and might even throw in Robin too.

Why is it there is always this stuff about trading Konerko and Valentin? Plus we never seem to think their worth any more than a 5th starter or some utility man in value. Please may we dispense with these kinds of statements? :nono

Why is it there is always this stuff about trading Konerko and Valentin? Plus we never seem to think their worth any more than a 5th starter or some utility man in value. Please may we dispense with these kinds of statements? :nono

I'm in total agreement.

Let me bring this up for thought - if Lee were to be traded, what situation would you guys be most confident in:

a.) Crazy idea first - bring up the unheralded Borchard, who has struggled but maybe a fire can be lit under his ass? That would be a stretch, though...

b.) The more heralded Jeremy Reed, who's got a good eye, solid D, good stick, good on the bases, plus he's lefty. But I do NOT want to rush a kid who isn't ready, that isn't to say Jeremy Reed isn't ready...

c.) And this is what I would do, and, actually I wouldn't be to mad about it - a LF platoon of Timo Perez/Aaron Rowand (vs lefties)/Ross Gload. I think we all know what Rowand could do when he's seeing the ball good (just before we traded for Everett last year, Rowand was crushing the ball). You'd have to play the hot bat/numbers with Gload and Timo.

IMO Lee is very, VERY expendable at this point. I'd say he's even more expendable than Paul Konerko, because really we only have one option outside of a trade if we did trade Paully, that being Ross Gload. I'd try now, not later, NOW to make a package including Lee and Borchard (as well as others) to Seattle for Freddy Garcia.

We need a fifth starter. It's pathetic that every fifth day we can barely expect to be in the ballgame. I'm friggin sick of it, honestly. A pitcher who can keep us in the game, have a less than 4.50 ERA is all I want. Please, Kenny, Please...

P.S. Don't trade Sweeney. :D

Lee and Borchard for Garcia? Ummm .... NO!

You can't let desperation force you to overpay. And that is major overpayment. I'd go with Borchard in left if Carlos was traded. At least, he'd get the first shot at it.

Lee and Borchard for Garcia? Ummm .... NO!

You can't let desperation force you to overpay.  And that is major overpayment.  I'd go with Borchard in left if Carlos was traded.  At least, he'd get the first shot at it.

Tell me why Lee and Borchard for Garcia is overpaying, I'm just wondering...

Because if that offer were on the table, I think I might make it official. Garcia has potential ace stuff, he'd give us not just a fifth starter, more like a number two or a number three, he'd give us a power-righty in the rotation. Not to mention he plays in a pretty damn good division offensively, and while some of the lineups are pretty good in the AL Central, they don't come close to the Rangers/Angels lineups.

Yeah, I'd do Lee and Borchard for Freddy G.

Carlos Lee was our best player last year.  He's gotton off to slow start this year, but he hasn't lost his talent.  Joe Borchard still might "get it".  Maybe.  There is no way in hell I'd make that deal.

Ok - but we cannot continue to give up every fifth game, and in a trade, you need to give something to get something. IMO, we're deep at the OF position with Anderson, Reed, and Sweeney. Plus, pitching is what will win us the AL Central. Last year, had our fifth starter won just a few games for us, five, six, we might have won the AL Central. Rather, we messed around and went with Danny Wright, Neal Cotts (wasn't ready last year and isn't ready to START this year, but he's effective from the bullpen). Kenny needs to make a move, and if you can get a guy who can give you potentially ace-like stuff (so far this year, a 2.89 ERA IIRC) without giving up top prospects (Borchard is no longer a top prospect IMO), then you do it. Like I've said, I think a platoon at LF (Perez/Gload/Rowand) can give us anywhere from a 250 AVG to a 290 AVG, and if they can stay within that range, that will help the team, not to mention the production from Garcia.

I can live with a lineup of:

CF Harris

2B Uribe

RF Mags

DH Thomas

SS Valentin

1B Konerko

3B Crede

LF Rowand/Perez/Gload

C Olivo/Alomar

Especially if that is backed up by a rotation of

Buerhle

Loaiza

Garcia

Schoenwies

Garland

I would as well but I'm not sure Seattle would.. ;)

Yeah - I realize that, I didn't say that they'd do that, it's just YASNY said that he wouldn't do that deal, and Im saying why I would do it, and why I feel Lee is very, very expendable...