Pitchers the Sox Should Acquire

Chisoxfn

Heres a question:

Would you guys do a Konerko, Diaz, and mid level prospect (somewhere from Ruddy Yan to a Thomas Brice) for Freddy Garcia?

And do you think the Mariners would accept that deal? 

To me it would give the Mariners a bat in Konerko (although what they do with Olerud I have no idea), a good starting prospect in Diaz (I'd rather give them Rauch if the Sox could sell him on all his former hype) and then a guy like Yan or Brice who could help the Mariners in a few years.

Yes -- And I'm not even on the Garcia bandwagon.

Also, I think Rauch is being shopped -- We would try to put him into most any deal tht gets done.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'd rather move Konerko then Lee

Well yeah - Lee is the better, more talented player.

Konerko is owed 17 Mill over 2 years, and with his speed and GIDP, anything short of 875-900 OPS mantained over an extrended period of time, won't garner much interest.

Lee does have value, but phones aren't being ripped off the hook, not even close.

Heres a question:

Would you guys do a Konerko, Diaz, and mid level prospect (somewhere from Ruddy Yan to a Thomas Brice) for Freddy Garcia?

To me it would give the Mariners a bat in Konerko (although what they do with Olerud I have no idea), a good starting prospect in Diaz (I'd rather give them Rauch if the Sox could sell him on all his former hype) and then a guy like Yan or Brice who could help the Mariners in a few years.

I know I'd do the deal.  Then I'd stick Gload at 1st and see what he can do.  If he struggles the Sox can maybe use Borchard or they could go along the lines of picking up a 1st baseman. 

It shouldn't be too hard to pick up a 1st baseman or someone that could produce offensively and play 1st at the deadline.

I would certainly do that deal. I'll keep on saying this offense won't be consistant until either pk or carlos is traded. I'm a huge fan of Gload and would love to see him get some consistant playing time. Gload can hit for power but doesn't over swing alot and goes into left, leftcenter a lot.

Konerko, Diaz, and mid level prospect for Garcia would be fine with me.

Although I think Seattle might want an of prospect instead of Diaz, but I would be willing to part with some one of equal value.

If we are just trying to fill in a 5th man with upside, then Garcia fits the bill. If we are looking an ace, then we might want to put a better package together and get something better.

Right now though Garcia, would be fine with me, as long as we dont overpay. No point in overpaying now, when we dont need a 5th starter for almost a month. Might as well let it play out a little, and make some other teams start to sweat about getting their trades done.

SB

I agree, the market tilts in the Sox favor. The market also was off when the Sox acquired Colon. Everyone thought that Mon. would be asking for the moon. Yet they were stuck with a contract they couldn't afford.

The same market exists for Sea. They'll still want to compete this year and next. They have other SP's in AAA to plug in with a Garcia trade. But no other sluggers are on the market that could fit their needs [a young RBI guy]. No team will trade a potential or existing 30 HR 100 RBI guy to Sea for a 1 year rental. The Sox can without being hurt.

Sea. can't wait two more months to make a move. The Sox can.

beck, not just you, but several people in this thread have stated the Sox can afford to 'wait it out' in getting a fifth starter? I mean, sure, we can keep plugging in guys who are young and perhaps aren't ready, like Cotts, Diaz, Rauch, etc, etc, but shouldn't the Sox be wanting to get a fifth starter ASAP?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your logic, just, can you elaborate a bit more on that?

Heres a question:

I know I'd do the deal.  Then I'd stick Gload at 1st and see what he can do.  If he struggles the Sox can maybe use Borchard or they could go along the lines of picking up a 1st baseman. 

It shouldn't be too hard to pick up a 1st baseman or someone that could produce offensively and play 1st at the deadline.

But see, what if Gload sucks in that spot? Then we're forced to make yet another trade.

Lee is very, very expendable right now. There are other guys that can be placed into that LF spot, IMO, about four of them. Rowand, Perez, Reed, Borchard. Meanwhile, if Gload can't hit at first.... We're forced to make another trade.

Not saying Konerko is worse/better than Lee, I think Lee is more valuable than Konerko is. That said, I honestly believe a package of Lee and ONE prospect, not even including the tops like Honel, Reed, Sweeney, Anderson, for Garcia can be had.

We don't have all the time though. I want a fifth starter in here the next time we need him (A month or so)?

I think someone earlier talked about the Angels. What ever happened to the talk about Jarod Washburn here? I don't have the stats - would he, statistically speaking, be effective here (Ground ball ratios, etc. etc.?).

Well, 1st off, if the Sox are giving a package of Lee, Honel and Munoz, they aught to be getting Garcia and Piniero. 

Also, I think Sox fans undervalue Lee.  Everything I read this offseason said that their were tons of phone calls and teams wanting to acquire Lee and he has quite a bit of trade value.  In fact, some people within the media speculated that Lee could of had as much value as Maggs because his contract is more affordable. 

Munoz is one guy I Wouldn't trade though.  I'd deal Honel well before I'd give up Munoz.

I was thinking the same thing

Heres a question:

I do that deal in a heartbeat. However, I don't think the M's do. Too much salary, not enough talent in return.

Here's a better question. Do you trade Konerko, Diaz, Borchard, and a mid-level prospect for Garcia? I personally, honest to god, probably do. I would prefer that it be Diaz and Rauch, but at some point, you have to give in. They would probably push for Borchard, and while he is heating up, it is hard not to. At the very least, I wait it out and see if Borchard slows down. If he does, then I make the trade.

To fill in for Paulie, you put in Gload. If he can't put up .270 with an .750-.800 OPS, go out and get a Randall Simon. Getting Randall Simon would probably cost another mid-level prospect...not too much. He fills in and could very well hit 5th for us.

I dunno, after Gload learns to field RH'ed and is promptly converted into a 3B, Sox could package Timo with Politte and Shingo to Pittsburgh for 3B Rob Makoviac and

LHC Sam Eck who can could then be platooned with Mark against righties. C.Rect

Looks like the Scrubs are interested in Freddy now,

The Cubs are in contention despite injuries to seven key players, but that doesn't mean team officials aren't looking around for help, especially for the pitching staff. Scouts for the Cubs have been watching the Seattle Mariners, apparently keeping an eye on right-handed starter Freddy Garcia and perhaps other players. With Seattle in last place in the American League West, reports are suggesting the Mariners might be interested in an overhaul.

Garcia is 2-3 with a 2.71 ERA after a victory Sunday against the Detroit Tigers. He ranks third in ERA in the AL behind Cleveland's C.C. Sabathia and Boston's Curt Schilling.

Looks like the Scrubs are interested in Freddy now,

The Cubs are in contention despite injuries to seven key players, but that doesn't mean team officials aren't looking around for help, especially for the pitching staff. Scouts for the Cubs have been watching the Seattle Mariners, apparently keeping an eye on right-handed starter Freddy Garcia and perhaps other players. With Seattle in last place in the American League West, reports are suggesting the Mariners might be interested in an overhaul.

Garcia is 2-3 with a 2.71 ERA after a victory Sunday against the Detroit Tigers. He ranks third in ERA in the AL behind Cleveland's C.C. Sabathia and Boston's Curt Schilling.

The Cubs interested? The only way I see the Cubs makin a push is if Prior is not expected to come back at all. Or maybe if Wood is out MUCH longer than they hoped.

I dunno, after Gload learns to field RH'ed and is promptly converted into a 3B, Sox could package Timo with Politte and Shingo to Pittsburgh for 3B Rob Makoviac and

Shingo ain't goin anywhere. He's an asset in the pen.

beck, not just you, but several people in this thread have stated the Sox can afford to 'wait it out' in getting a fifth starter?  I mean, sure, we can keep plugging in guys who are young and perhaps aren't ready, like Cotts, Diaz, Rauch, etc, etc, but shouldn't the Sox be wanting to get a fifth starter ASAP?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your logic, just, can you elaborate a bit more on that?

In "Waiting it out", I mean getting a top of the rotation starter. A serviceable 5th starter is probably out there to help ASAP, such as a Paul Abbott, and wouldn't cost much in terms of talent. But they may not be any better than Rauch, Munoz or Grilli. The 5th starters spot is a concern and should be solved for the short term. But a big deal like Lee for Garcia, could favor the Sox as our backs aren't against the wall. The Sox are sitting in decent position, with few injuries and glaring holes relative to other teams

A team that is struggling with an under .500 record, but had hopes to make the playoffs, such as Sea, Tor, KC., are more desperate to make a trade now than a team like the Sox. Those teams are looking at a lost season, with no postseason hopes if things don't turn around quickly

• 4 months later...
While I would certainly welcome Garcia on the Sox, His numbers away from Safco Field have been anything but dominating.

Home (4 starts) 2.00ERA .197BAA

Away (4 starts) 3.74ERA .274BAA

Most Disturbing is his GB/FB ratio -- 74/72(1.03) would not cut it in USCF. Garland(1.20), Buerhle(1.33), Loaiza(1.19), and Schoeneweis(1.28) all have better ratios. Hell even Neal Cotts has a better GB/FB ratio than does Garcia. All four of the Sox starters have a better ERA&BAA away from home -- USCF(especially with the new roof) is a hitters park. To succeed there, you have to keep the ball down and get the ground ball --

Garcia is a good pitcher, but he's not the best fit on the southside.

Again, I'd welcome him to the southside, but his ERA would take a beating if he keeps throwing those flyballs at USCF

You've turned out to be pretty prophetic. The Cell has turned into Coors Field east and it's time that Sox managment at least acknowledged it. Even taking the ball park into consideration Garcia has been anything but an ace.

Heres a question:

Would you still do this one? :lolhitting

Hah, Lee > Reed...Kong > Reed.

Reed is a singles hitter. Lee and Konerko can hit for average and power and RBI's. Why are people even thinking trading these two? Why do we have posters putting down the fact Reed gets $300K, which might be too high of an estimate? You don't win games or a pennant based on salary earned.

No they can't and wouldn't and shouldn't

Reed is a singles hitter. Lee and Konerko can hit for average and power and RBI's. Why are people even thinking trading these two? Why do we have posters putting down the fact Reed gets $300K, which might be too high of an estimate? You don't win games or a pennant based on salary earned.

Well...b/c with the difference we could afford a pretty good player. Eg, the 7 mil+ would go a long way towards signing Pavano (if you like the guy...).

I'm not advocating anything between the 2, honestly. Personally, I think Lee and Reed should both still be Sox next yr. But it's not fair to say the Reed is a "singles hitter". He's hitting in Safeco, he rarely strikes out, and he does hit a good number of doubles with a smattering of hrs. (Likewise, yeah, Garcia is a flyball pitcher, but he's also a pretty good strikeout pitcher.) Reed's been awfully good, both in the minors and so far in the pros, by any measure.