Anyone flooded?

Queen Prawn

So far my area hasn't had any extreme flooding (a few streets, but not much at all), but it looks like Gurnee and other areas around the Des Plaines river are being either evacuated or are already underwater.

I have one question, why would someone build on a flood plain?

So far my area hasn't had any extreme flooding (a few streets, but not much at all), but it looks like Gurnee and other areas around the Des Plaines river are being either evacuated or are already underwater.

I owned a place on one of the channels up on the chain. It would only flood during a 100 year flood. Guess what? That happened twice in the 80s. A contributing factor was the damn in Bristol fell into disrepair and they had no means to regulate how much water flowed into the chain, but during Mississippi flooding times, they would hold water in the chain. So we got flooded.

Some home did not start out on flood plains, but dams, or downstream construction, have caused water to back up and created new flood plains.

Flood areas can also be created when vast sreas that use to be rain soaking farm lands are turned into asphalt and the water runs into the creeks and rivers.

So, not everyone on a current flod plain is an idiot.

I wasn't saying they are idiots, but the Des Plaines seems to flood quite often.  Just seems like gambling to me.

I added the idiot. It is difficult to sell and sometimes you wind up stuck, especially when it didn't flood when you bought it, but it does now. And yes, some people do gamble, and hope to save some money and life by running water, which can be really cool.

I did not make a dime when I sold my house. A neighbor was not as lucky. He needed to relocate for work and lost about $20,000 on his home.

If the damn had been rebuilt, neither of us probably would have flooded. And I think I had the town wrong, it is the Wilmont dam.

I wasn't saying they are idiots, but the Des Plaines seems to flood quite often.  Just seems like gambling to me.

I remember 1986. We got flooded out of school and had to have classes at a mall.

I was only in 2nd grade at the time.

I remember 1986. We got flooded out of school and had to have classes at a mall.

I was only in 2nd grade at the time.

86 was really cool for fishing on the Fox Chain. They imposed no wake resitrictions. I would launch, drop my electric and burn through two batteries. My 150 never got cranked up for a month. I also didn't have to compete with the off shore racers on small lakes. It was just a little surreal to pull back in and launch in another area.

All of my family lives in NW Indiana.

They built most of that on a Marsh/Beach area.

It's just crazy that we can't leave the enviroment alone.