From the Roto Times

aboz56

Take this for what it's worth, just found it interesting, it's from a pretty reliable fantasy baseball site that I frequent:

Jeremy Reed, OF, CWS -- Now that Aaron Rowand has lost his center field job to Willie Harris -- by virtue of Juan Uribe moving to second base -- there's less of an urgent need to call up Reed. However, the Sox still feel their lineup is unbalanced and would love to add another left-handed hitter, a description which fits Reed, who is currently hitting .295 and has reached base safely in all but two games at Triple-A Charlotte. Reed has yet to hit a home run this season and is only hitting .250 since May 1, two other reasons why he has yet to be called up. But there's still an excellent chance he'll be in the majors for the better part of the second half of the season.

I like what I've heard of Reed, but I didn't realize he lacked power.

No home runs?

I thought Reed was a power guy. Is he a Lofton type?

Somebody describe Reed to me and tell me why we

are so high on him if he has no homers.

No home runs?

All that I have read and heard on Reed is that he is a poor man's ichiro. I have never seen him play however, so I am just going by what others write and say about him.

No home runs?

I've talked to Gregg Ritchie about Reed (the Charlotte hitting coach) and he expressed confidence that Reed's power would increase because his approach to hitting and mechanics are nearly flawless. Reed is for the most part a line drive hitter who uses all parts of the field to get on base. If a guy throws him away, Reed will go opposite field and if someone tries to come inside on him, he will smoke the ball on a line into right field. The most impressive thing about the way he swings a bat is the fact that you will almost always see Reed get the bat head level to the ball, which usually results in a line drive, which he can spray to all fields depending on pitch location. I don't expect him to be a major power guy by any means, but I think in time he will be a 10-15 HR guy at the big league level who hits for a good average and gets on base frequently because he hits the ball hard almost every time he makes contact. Hope this gives you a bit more insight on Reed.

Guest JimH
I've talked to Gregg Ritchie about Reed (the Charlotte hitting coach) and he expressed confidence that Reed's power would increase because his approach to hitting and mechanics are nearly flawless.  Reed is for the most part a line drive hitter who uses all parts of the field to get on base.  If a guy throws him away, Reed will go opposite field and if someone tries to come inside on him, he will smoke the ball on a line into right field.  The most impressive thing about the way he swings a bat is the fact that you will almost always see Reed get the bat head level to the ball, which usually results in a line drive, which he can spray to all fields depending on pitch location.  I don't expect him to be a major power guy by any means, but I think in time he will be a 10-15 HR guy at the big league level who hits for a good average and gets on base frequently because he hits the ball hard almost every time he makes contact.  Hope this gives you a bit more insight on Reed.

Good analysis, very well encapsulated.

I'm thinking the same thing, about 12-15 HR's per year.

Thanks Aboz.

Think he is a Johnny Damon type player with a bit bigger upside?

I'd say Damon is a pretty fair statement. He's not as fast as Damon, but has a better arm. Damon probably has one of the worse outfield arms in the majors. I even think Carlos LEe could out throw him :lol:

Also I don't know how much Damon walks, but Reed should have a pretty good OBP in the majors, regardless of what his minor league numbers would tell you this season.

Because he isn't as fast as Damon, thats why I'd slot him as a 2 hole hitter.

A younger Erstad is also a good comparison

I sometimes make that comparision, but its not one I like because Erstad is probably one of the most overrated players. He's living on his one special season and other then that (Injuries are at least partially to blame), he's been a mediocre offensive player.

However, he's one of the best defensive outfielders in the game (of course his agressiveness has put him on the DL and now moved him to 1st). They do in fact have similar tools though.

Neither one is amazing at one area, but they are good across the board and are smart players.

I've talked to Gregg Ritchie about Reed (the Charlotte hitting coach) and he expressed confidence that Reed's power would increase because his approach to hitting and mechanics are nearly flawless.  Reed is for the most part a line drive hitter who uses all parts of the field to get on base.  If a guy throws him away, Reed will go opposite field and if someone tries to come inside on him, he will smoke the ball on a line into right field.  The most impressive thing about the way he swings a bat is the fact that you will almost always see Reed get the bat head level to the ball, which usually results in a line drive, which he can spray to all fields depending on pitch location.

That would be so refreshing to watch on this baseball team. Sometime this year, maybe with in a month or so I think Joe Bo or Reed will get a call up, I think that will mostly depend on if Borchard can keep up his hot streak.

No home runs?

Tony Gwynn type, maybe.

I'm also kind of wondering about Jeremy's defense. I know he's supposed to be solid in the outfield but not a true centerfielder. Have any of you seen him play centerfield and if so do you think he'd be able to hold down playing center?

players can develop more power as they get older and stronger.

He's in Triple A and hitting well less than two full years after he was drafted.

He's playing with two sore wrists in a new league.

He just went through a slump, but he's warmed up again in the last week when he was moved up to second and first in the order.

Reed will be fine.

And I've got my fingers crossed that Borchard is finally healthy and figuring it out.

Sox could use both of those guys.

The more I read about Jeremy Reed the more I don't really see him as a solution to our CF problem.

I think he sounds like he will make a great RF, not the power numbers Maggs gives us but it could still cushion the blow of losing him nonetheless.

I still think we could be a great team with both AROW and Reed if Maggs ends up leaving.