Dan Rooney's professorship branch

JUGGERNAUT

Professorship branch of govt?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Professorship branch of govt?

• GOOD IDEA - the highest educated minds advising congress
    • BAD IDEA - lesser minds can't absorb such intelligence
    • OTHER

This one comes from 60 Minutes & I can't really blame his premise. However Rooney always likes to leave democracy out of it & well I just find that to be un-American. Being an American & upholding democracy above all else go hand in hand in my book.

So here's my little addendum to Rooney's idea:

The nominations to serve on this advisory board to congress should come from the nations professors. So unless you are a professor you can't nominate someone. Congress will then choose among the nominees to serve on the board for no more than 8 years. Both democracy & the highest minds in the land play significant roles in determine the board.

As Rooney suggested, the board would only serve in an advisory role & there is enough prestige with the position to entice the greatest minds to serve on the board. It doesn't mean that they can't serve more than 8 years, but it means that they have to be nominated & appointed again to retain their position. Likewise, as Rooney suggested the impact this board would have on the minds of the public would greatly pressure members of Congress to do the right thing. If the majority of the advisory board is suggesting to vote one way & Congress chooses to vote the other way there will be a lot of explaining to do.