Wood out for possibly a month

From Rotoworld:

A bone scan detected no damage in Kerry Wood's arm, but the Cubs have decided to shut him down for a week due to triceps tendinitis.

Wood will need an additional week or two to be ready for game action, so a return in the second week of June seems to be what the Cubs are aiming for. However, another mild setback would probably result in Wood needing a rehab assignment, pushing his return back to the end of the month.

Cubs can't catch any breaks but I think Dusty Baker is to blame for this one.

Cubs can't catch any breaks but I think Dusty Baker is to blame for this one.

Yeah, poor Cubs.....Draw 3 Mill even if lose 90 games.....Payroll that could reach a 100 Mill....Neither Wood nor Prior have any structural damage to their arms, so they will be back, arms freshly mindted for the postseason dominance.....Half the team is on DL and they are still ahead of the Astros and Cards.

The last time Sox had a serious injury (Hurt and Rauch), it effectively wiped out 2001 and 2002.

Cubs know how to get "unlucky"

Yeah, poor Cubs.....Draw 3 Mill even if lose 90 games.....Payroll that could reach a 100 Mill....Neither Wood nor Prior have any structural damage to their arms, so they will be back.....Half the team is on DL and they are still ahead of the Astros and Cards.

The last time Sox had a serious injury (Hurt and Rauch), it wiped out 2001 and 2002.

Well, I'm going to go a few farther. Boomer, Parque, Eldred...all three were definately missed and hampered the staff. You could also go to Howry and Simas who both got hurt and lost a ton of velocity and then of course Lorenzo Barcelo.

The Sox pitching staff was basically desimated with injuries.

Well, I'm going to go a few farther.  Boomer, Parque, Eldred...all three were definately missed and hampered the staff.  You could also go to Howry and Simas who both got hurt and lost a ton of velocity and then of course Lorenzo Barcelo. 

The Sox pitching staff was basically desimated with injuries.

Losing Hurt was the biggest and it took him 2 years to recover.

But losing Rauch was almost as big. Not only for 2001, but also in 2002 where he would have been the 2nd best Sox starter after Buerhle, and there would be no need to trade Kip Wells for Ritchie, instead using that extra 3 Mill on some other needs.

Boomer, too.

Those 3 stay healthy, Sox win ALC in 2001-2003 and probably have an 80+ mill payroll today.

Losing Hurt was the biggest and it took him 2 years to recover.

But losing Rauch was almost as big.  Not only for 2001, but also in 2002 where he would have been the 2nd best Sox starter after Buerhle, and there would be no need to trade Kip Wells for Ritchie, instead using that extra 3 Mill on some other needs.

Boomer, too.

Those 3 stay healthy, Sox win ALC in 2001-2003 and probably have an 80+ mill payroll today.

I'd agree with you, even though there are a lot of what ifs. Thats the thing, baseball is partially a game of luck, and it will take a little bit of luck for the Sox to win it all, but string it together with a GM putting the pieces out there for it to happen and a manager doing what he can to get the team to win and you will see the Sox attendance slowly rise.

The Sox have played good baseball for a while, the key is playing special baseball to the point people really get EXCITED over the Sox. How do you do that, by getting in the playoffs, having a team thats fun to watch (comebacks, etc), and by having players the fans relate to and like.

I think the Sox are close and have been for a while, its just the team gelling enough where they start making the playoffs and hopefully going deep. If they can do it for a few years, this franchise may be in a position to really take off, especially with all the talent in the lower levels.

pitcher abuse points last season ---

NAME                 TEA L  GS     IP IP/GS    NP  AVGNP MAXNP     PAP AVGPAP STRESS   I  II III  IV   V

-------------------- --- - --- ------ ----- ----- ------ ----- ------- ------ ------ --- --- --- --- ---

Wood_Kerry CHN N 32 211.0 6.6 3516 109.9 141 254622 7957 72 8 7 7 9 1

Vazquez_Javier MON N 34 230.7 6.8 3719 109.4 136 268015 7883 72 11 4 9 9 1

Prior_Mark CHN N 30 211.3 7.0 3397 113.2 133 223611 7454 66 5 5 11 8 1

Coincidence - I think not.

pitcher abuse points last season ---

NAME                 TEA L  GS     IP IP/GS    NP  AVGNP MAXNP     PAP AVGPAP STRESS   I  II III  IV   V

-------------------- --- - --- ------ ----- ----- ------ ----- ------- ------ ------ --- --- --- --- ---

Wood_Kerry        CHN N  32  211.0 6.6  3516  109.9 141  254622 7957  72 8 7 7 9 1

Vazquez_Javier    MON N  34  230.7 6.8  3719  109.4 136  268015 7883  72  11 4 9 9 1

Prior_Mark        CHN N  30  211.3 7.0  3397  113.2 133  223611 7454  66 5 5  11 8 1

Coincidence - I think not.

You surely on one with stats

It was the Sports Illistrated Curse!! (Guess who was on the cover?) Also a T.V. Guide had Prior and Wood on the cover. All this "The Cubs will go to the World Series" crap can kiss my ass. Can't wait to break the good ...er... bad news to cub fans tomorrow. :)

Up next to get injured: Zambrano

Up next to get injured: Zambrano

I doubt it would be Zambrano. He is a bigger guy and I would think that would allow him to handle more of a pitch count. See Bartolo Colon, Mr. Inning Eater. Maddux has been healthy his whole career as far as I can remember, but his age makes him a possible candidate. Overall, I don't see another pitcher getting injured due to wear and tear.

They don't know what is causing pain in his elbow, and yet they claim he'll be back in 3 weeks. Don't believe it. So the doctor is saying "I don't know what it is, but it should be gone in a week". This injury reminds me so much of Danny Wright's injury in Spring Training last year.