Rationing oil usage

JUGGERNAUT

Should we ration gasoline usage?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should we ration gasoline usage?

• YES - It's the only way given the shortage of refineries in America
    • NO - We should have a national referrendum on refineries to weaken the environmentalist lobbying power
    • NO - Things are fine as they are
    • OTHER

The Saudi's this weak pledged to increase production by as many as 2 million barrels a day to help out the USA. This is one of the benefits of occupying Iraq no doubt. This comes a few days after the Saudi security bldg was bombed by Al-Queda.

But here's the problem. Because of the shortage of refineries in America it won't be available to the national public until after the summer season. If refineries were doubled in America it would reach the public as early as late Jun.

Yes the gas guzzlers of America do impact the price we pay, but this is less an impact than the refineries. The problem is that the lobbying forces make it very difficult for refineries to be built. The natural places for them are along the Gulf of Mexico betw LA & FL as well as expansion in Chicago, & the South East. The South East is where the big turmoil is. It's a question of beach front property vs oil refineries because the shorter the distance between the refinery & the tanker the lower the cost.

This is not an easy answer because there isn't land readily available for such construction without hurting the pre-existing tourism in those areas. There is room to expand the refineries around the great lakes but that isn't going to lower the cost. It's only going to increase the supply in a timely manner.

In the mean time things can not remain as they are because it simply isn't fair for those who only consume 50 gallons of gasoline a month to shoulder the burden of price for those who consume 100 gallons of gasoline a month. Obviously MPG comes into play. It's impossible to ration gasoline in a true sense in America. But it is possible to ration the price increase assoc with gasoline usage. All license plates in IL are assoc with VINs so I assume this is true for most states. When paying for gas either by credit or cash you would be prompted to enter your plate number. From your plate number the computer would determine the VIN of your car & retrieve the MPG rating on the car. Your MPG class would determine your price class.

Ex.

The going rate is about $2.20 / gal.

Person A: has a car getting 35 city, 45 hwy.

Person B: has a car getting 25 city, 35 hwy.

Person C: has a car getting 15 city, 25 hwy.

Person D: has a car getting 12 city, 20 hwy.

Person D: should pay $2.70 / gal.

Person C: should pay $2.40 / gal.

Person B: should pay $2.00 / gal.

Person D: should pay $1.70 / gal.

I think that can of pricing structure would have an impact on automobile purchases of the future & slow down demand.

The refinery argument is garbage. I looked that up. If that was the case than the refineries would be at 100% util or there would be delays in delivery. Neither case is happening.

Dude, you freakin' kill me. In another thread, you have this (above)...?

Because of the shortage of refineries in America it won't be available to the national public until after the summer season. If refineries were doubled in America it would reach the public as early as late Jun.

Then, you start this? Which is it? About 90% of your arguments, you seem to refute within two weeks, depending on which way the wind is blowing that day.

:headshake

Just trying to figure out what you really mean. ;)

Dude, you freakin' kill me.  In another thread, you have this (above)...? 

Then, you start this?  Which is it?  About 90% of your arguments, you seem to refute within two weeks, depending on which way the wind is blowing that day.

:headshake

Just trying to figure out what you really mean. ;)

I can clear that up for you. There are no visible signs of the refineries keeping up with demand. They are more efficient today than they were in 5 yrs ago. However; their location does increase the cost of transporting the oil from the mid-east & sooner than later demand in the US will exceed the util of the refineries. So if nothing is done we will both exceed the refinery demand & have a higher cost to transport & process the oil.

Short term, it's a rouse by the oil companies to get $2.30 a gallon.

Long term it's a serious problem.

There's no need to ration something like oil unless there's a "no s***" national crisis & people having to pay more at the pumps does not qualify. This problem with oil prices is a spike due to mainly to mid-east instability and will subside in due course.

The sky is not falling folks.

There's no need to ration something like oil unless there's a "no s***" national crisis & people having to pay more at the pumps does not qualify.  This problem with oil prices is a spike due to mainly to mid-east instability and will subside in due course. 

The sky is not falling folks.

Absolutely, Nuke! Driving is a priveledge, not a right.

On the other hand, I will get cited by my town if I don't cut my lawn. Can I deduct the :huh gas for my lawn mowers from my taxes?

rationing oil?  Do you really want the government deciding how much oil you can use? :headshake

OPEC is going to be pumping about 28 million barrels of crude a day when Saudi Arabia kicks in the extra 2 mil BBP.  There is no shortage.

The scientific community has weighed in on the matter.

By 2010 the world's demand will exceed the world's supply.

We can't remain on this gluttonous road forever.

Yes I want oil taxed in accordance with fuel efficiency.

Less efficient vehicles should be taxed more to slow the demand in America.

The scientific community has weighed in on the matter. 

By 2010 the world's demand will exceed the world's supply. 

We can't remain on this gluttonous road forever.

Yes I want oil taxed in accordance with fuel efficiency.

Less efficient vehicles should be taxed more to slow the demand in America.

The scientific community has been steadily wrong on this one too. In the late 70's when I was in elementary school they were teaching that we would run out of oil by the 21st century. Today we have more known reserves, than we did in 1980. Don't believe everything you read.

The scientific community has been steadily wrong on this one too.  In the late 70's when I was in elementary school they were teaching that we would run out of oil by the 21st century.  Today we have more known reserves, than we did in 1980.  Don't believe everything you read.

Known Oil Reserves increasing?

Take a read at this.

People complaining about high gas prices in America should look at Europe. They are paying 2 to 2 & a half times what we pay for a gallon of gas. Despite the sharp rise in gas prices ( which will subside in due course ) we've still got it easy compared to other nations.

If you can't afford to buy gas, don't drive!

Because America's oh so amazing Public Transoportation system makes it feasible for everyone to take that to work, the store, etc...

Because America's oh so amazing Public Transoportation system makes it feasible for everyone to take that to work, the store, etc...

You're missing the point, Soxy. Whether we drive or not should be OUR choice, not the government's choice.

If we allow them to ration gasoline, we are at their mercy!

Let me state this again. There is no oil shortage today. Scientists have taken into consideration the probability of new reserves being found. The math & science leads to 2010 as the magic date. That's the year that demand for oil in the world will exceed supply. At that time supply will diminish each year while demand continues to grow.

Six years is not a lot of time & effective policies need to come into place now.

Some people have weighed in that public transportation doesn't meet their needs.

A VIN based tax would allow them to continue commuting without added penalty.

Everything you mention about alternative fuel sources, & hybrids would work well under a VIN based tax on gasoline consumption. More importantly it would send a strong message to the rest of the world that the USA is serious about saving the environment.

Did you see The Day After Tomorrow? The science is real but Emmerich fictionalizes the time table between events. Instead of them taking years or decades they take only hours. But you know something, Emmerich needed to just add a few surprise events to speed everything up. Like maybe a meteor shower over the polar ice cap in the North. Sufficient enough to quickly melt the land based ice. Then he could add several years between that event & the slowdown of the thermohaline conveyor which is what keeps us from an ice age. The message of the film should have been that nasty weather due to abrupt climate changes is a serious problem that should be assessed in a worst case scenario mindset. That's what the Pentagon report states. Worst case means, assume factors beyond man's control (terrorism, astral events, etc) that accelerate abrupt climate changes.

Let me state this again.  There is no oil shortage today.  Scientists have taken into consideration the probability of new reserves being found.  The math & science leads to 2010 as the magic date.  That's the year that demand for oil in the world will exceed supply.  At that time supply will diminish each year while demand continues to grow.

Six years is not a lot of time & effective policies need to come into place now.

Some people have weighed in that public transportation doesn't meet their needs.

A VIN based tax would allow them to continue commuting without added penalty.

Everything you mention about alternative fuel sources, & hybrids would work well under a VIN based tax on gasoline consumption. More importantly it would send a strong message to the rest of the world that the USA is serious about saving the environment.

Did you see The Day After Tomorrow? The science is real but Emmerich fictionalizes the time table between events.  Instead of them taking years or decades they take only hours. But you know something,  Emmerich needed to just add a few surprise events to speed everything up.  Like maybe a meteor shower over the polar ice cap in the North.  Sufficient enough to quickly melt the land based ice.  Then he could add several years between that event & the slowdown of the thermohaline conveyor which is what keeps us from an ice age. The message of the film should have been that nasty weather due to abrupt climate changes is a serious problem that should be assessed in a worst case scenario mindset. That's what the Pentagon report states.  Worst case means, assume factors beyond man's control (terrorism, astral events, etc) that accelerate abrupt climate changes.

Where are you getting that 2010 date? I haven't seen that anywhere.