Who gets the call?

greasywheels121

White Sox notes

Who gets the call? Ozzie Guillen mentioned that a long meeting Wednesday with pitching coach Don Cooper and general manager Ken Williams brought them closer to deciding on a fifth starter for Saturday's late afternoon contest against Anaheim. The choice appears to be right-hander Jon Rauch, who was moved from a Wednesday start with Triple-A Charlotte to one inning of relief on Tuesday night.

It was the same process followed before Felix Diaz was called up to the White Sox. Rauch, who struck out one during his scoreless inning, did not pitch during Charlotte's loss Wednesday.

"I'm going to make Farmio pull his uniform back on," quipped Guillen of Ed Farmer, a former All-Star hurler for the White Sox, turned broadcaster for the team. "It's a good thing about this organization, we have communication.

"Kenny has ideas. I have some ideas, but my ideas never work."

I may have said this before, but count me in the group that thinks it is stupid as hell to bring a guy up after skipping a start. How sharp is a pitcher going to be after throwing only 1 inning in 9 days? More rest is generally not a good thing for a pitcher.

They bring up Diaz off his normal rotation and then in his second start they throw him on three days rest. The thrust Cotts into a role he wasn't ready for after pitching short outings in the bullpen all year. It's no f***ing wonder they can't find a 5th starter. Their methods have to be the dumbest imaginable.

I may have said this before, but count me in the group that thinks it is stupid as hell to bring a guy up after skipping a start.  How sharp is a pitcher going to be after throwing only 1 inning in 9 days?  More rest is generally not a good thing for a pitcher.

They bring up Diaz off his normal rotation and then in his second start they throw him on three days rest.  The thrust Cotts into a role he wasn't ready for after pitching short outings in the bullpen all year.  It's no f***ing wonder they can't find a 5th starter.  Their methods have to be the dumbest imaginable.

I've got to agree with you there Rex. You'd think they'd have learned from thier past results.

Cotts hadn't pitched in 10 days, and we haven't seen him since. Diaz skipped his start. Both were hit pretty good --

Why break up a guys rythm who appears to be going good?

I may have said this before, but count me in the group that thinks it is stupid as hell to bring a guy up after skipping a start.  How sharp is a pitcher going to be after throwing only 1 inning in 9 days?  More rest is generally not a good thing for a pitcher.

They bring up Diaz off his normal rotation and then in his second start they throw him on three days rest.  The thrust Cotts into a role he wasn't ready for after pitching short outings in the bullpen all year.  It's no f***ing wonder they can't find a 5th starter.  Their methods have to be the dumbest imaginable.

I'm with you Rex. I also think its stupid that the Sox sent Diaz down if they knew this was a temporary thing. I just wish the Sox would pick one guy and stick with him for at least a few starts.

They seem to expect someone to come up and just pitch like an ace from the get go. Their needs to be at least some patience and if they have no faith in these guys to stick with them for a few starts, then they probably should be calling them up in the first place. Ie...they should be getting someone via trade then.

I agree as well. While the way they're doing it is not ideal, it CAN work:

Tommy Phelps

I would have liked to give Neal a couple starts. If we are going to pull another rabbit out of our hat, let's go with JR, the young athletic one, not the misery businessman with poor eyesight :D

I still believe someone is going to emerge a la' Dontrell Willis.

I am going to shorten my usual tirade at the end. For now on not cry over pilled milk. So for the last time who would be objecting to somelike say COLON pitching Saturday instead of this week's lotto drawing? Ok, it't out of my system.