Mark Cuban Says

jasonxctf

After reading that SunTimes article, I decided to ask Mark Cuban a question myself.

Email Sent from me to him at 3:28CST

Mr. Cuban-

>

> Good afternoon. I just read a great article in the Chicago Sun Times

> regarding Jerry Reisendorf (The Chicago White Sox owner) and the writer

> makes reference to you and the Dallas Mavericks as a great example of

> how an

> owner should interact with fans.

>

> My question is somewhat simple. What can the average fan or a group of

> fans

> do to help an owner realize that how he is running the team or how he

> interacts with the fans is wrong?

>

> We face a constant battle here in Chicago with the Sox. Many fans don't

> show

> up to the games as protest to poor ownership and management decisions.

> Fans

> don't feel that ownership cares. Because many of these fans don't show

> up,

> ownership complains that due to poor attendance they don't have the $

> to pay

> for quality free agents and the battle continues. It seems to be one

> side

> not trusting the other.

>

> Any thoughts?

HIS RESPONSE AT 4:07CST

Hold up lots of signs at the games

He will respond.

Nothing worse than being embaraased all game long

Granted no big insight here, however it proves the point on how cool it is to have Mark or someone on his staff respond to a simple question within 39 minutes.

:headbang

Excellent. Thats what we gotta do, but what kind of messages do you want us to say?

The problem with that idea is that I sincerely doubt anyone on FSC or WGN would ever put a fan with a negative sign on TV embarassing Jerry.

Now maybe if 5,000 fan's brought a sign or did a walk-out, that may be a different story and that might get some coverage.

The problem with that idea is that I sincerely doubt anyone on FSC or WGN would ever put a fan with a negative sign on TV embarassing Jerry.

Now maybe if 5,000 fan's brought a sign or did a walk-out, that may be a different story and that might get some coverage.

Well maybe if we soxtalk users made a plan about where we would be placed throughout the ballpark...i dunno

Hello All,

Haven't been here for awhile.  Do you think security at the gate would even allow any anti-JR signs in?

Hide it under your shirt and during a gamebreak wait to get on the jumbo tron...then when we spread out...they can't stop getting shots of the crowd...lol this would be hysterical

I think 20,000 "Trade for another starter" signs, would be as convincing or more convincing than any amount of mocking or parody could accomplish.

Thats just my opinion, not all are as worried about negative criticism as Cuban.

Reisndorf has faced worse, and generally not changed his mind because of it.

SB

Im not mad about anything, in a perfect world wed have a Steinbrenner or Cuban, but not every owner is like that.

I wish hed up the payroll so we were atleast always in the top 50% (I think thats reasonable), and I think people would show up more often.

He can some times appear cheap, but hes been burned by bad contracts like Navarro too.

In the end most are just looking for something to complain about, its nice to think what if, but if I had the money Id have season tickets, and show up every day.

SB

Here's a question:

What are we all really upset with Reinsdorf for?  What, Specifically, has he done to make you not show up to the park?  What could he do that would make you go to the park?  Why do you let an owner determine which team you support, and when?

a good argument can be made pro-reinsdorf or anti-reinsdorf. i have my own thoughts but they are things that have been harped on over and over, so i won't even get into that. here is the thing. jerry reinsdorf is the Chairman of a Board of Directors.

He is not the owner of the club per say. he is one of many owners or shareholders. it isn't too hard to find out who these other guys are. i believe they have a plaque outside the stadium and i think they are listed on the official website. i beleive that reinsdorf and einhorn are the majority shareholders and as such have certain priveledges (sp?) from what i understand, and i may be wrong on this but even if reinsdorf wanted to sell his share in the team he would have to sell to one of the other shareholders. in fact i don't think that any of the shareholders can sell thier shares to someone who is not a current shareholder.

anyway i guess my point is if reinsdorf doesn't want to be the "face" of white sox ownership there is probably a way for him to step down/sell some of his stake in the club. but if he is going to put himself out there as chairman, and pretty much be looked at as the "owner" of the club than he should be more accessable and be working harder to shed a more positive light on the franchise. i think he has failed at that. but of course that is just IMO.

Mark Cuban?

Time again to recall what Sam Smith had to say about him last December and why I hope Cuban never comes near the Sox (besides the fact that I think he'd move them)

Sam Smith

Chicago Tribune

12-29-03

Sports section, page 2

Dallas soap opera: We know how players get a coach fired. They just curtail their effort. But how do players get an owner fired? It turns out padded slippers and fluffy towels aren't enough to overcome Mark Cuban's insincerity, disingenuousness, hypocrisy and pretension. Anyone get the picture here? The Mavs players surely have. They are 17-12, which would be cause for celebration with the Bulls. But the Mavs were 25-4 at this time last year. And they're 4- 10 on the road, the only top Western team with a losing road record. There has been talk of Dirk Nowitzki's bothersome ankles and Michael Finley's injuries and slump. But insiders and players say the same spirit and drive are gone, emptied by the double dealing and personal aggrandizement of owner Cuban. It's one reason why All- Star guard Steve Nash talked of going to Toronto when he becomes a free agent.

Players are confused about the constant personnel changes, like the deals for Antoine Walker and Antawn Jamison that have left only five players from last season's conference finals team. Even now, Cuban is talking about taking on troublesome Rasheed Wallace. Promises to popular veterans like Tim Hardaway and Nick Van Exel were broken. Players were upset with Cuban's obsessive courtship of Pat Riley last season that held up coach Don Nelson's extension. Now, insiders say, Cuban will dump Nelson the minute Riley says he'll come aboard.

To no one's surprise, Cuban is blaming Nelson and his staff for the struggles this season. "The issue isn't so much with our players as it is with our coaching staff just drilling them and drilling them and drilling them to death," Cuban said last week. "In terms of personnel, I wouldn't change it for anything." Until he does. Dallas has now become one of the most unfriendly places in the NBA for players

I don't think he's talking about getting the signs on television.

Mark Cuban?

Time again to recall what Sam Smith had to say about him last December and why I hope Cuban never comes near the Sox (besides the fact that I think he'd move them)

Sam Smith

Chicago Tribune

12-29-03

Sports section, page 2

Dallas soap opera: We know how players get a coach fired. They just curtail their effort. But how do players get an owner fired? It turns out padded slippers and fluffy towels aren't enough to overcome Mark Cuban's insincerity, disingenuousness, hypocrisy and pretension. Anyone get the picture here? The Mavs players surely have. They are 17-12, which would be cause for celebration with the Bulls. But the Mavs were 25-4 at this time last year. And they're 4- 10 on the road, the only top Western team with a losing road record. There has been talk of Dirk Nowitzki's bothersome ankles and Michael Finley's injuries and slump. But insiders and players say the same spirit and drive are gone, emptied by the double dealing and personal aggrandizement of owner Cuban. It's one reason why All- Star guard Steve Nash talked of going to Toronto when he becomes a free agent.

Players are confused about the constant personnel changes, like the deals for Antoine Walker and Antawn Jamison that have left only five players from last season's conference finals team. Even now, Cuban is talking about taking on troublesome Rasheed Wallace. Promises to popular veterans like Tim Hardaway and Nick Van Exel were broken. Players were upset with Cuban's obsessive courtship of Pat Riley last season that held up coach Don Nelson's extension. Now, insiders say, Cuban will dump Nelson the minute Riley says he'll come aboard.

To no one's surprise, Cuban is blaming Nelson and his staff for the struggles this season. "The issue isn't so much with our players as it is with our coaching staff just drilling them and drilling them and drilling them to death," Cuban said last week. "In terms of personnel, I wouldn't change it for anything." Until he does. Dallas has now become one of the most unfriendly places in the NBA for players

You mean Sam Smith

That is cool. Mark Cuban is the man, I wish he owned the Sox.

Throwing money around is not always the answer, look at his team this season. Alot more teams make the playoffs in the NBA. We have had similar seasons as the Mavericks have, especially look at them this season. Spending is rarely the answer. Someone is going to get bit in the ass in the AL East. I'd rather spend wisely, than overly spend. Quality not quantity.